When is the Best Time to Visit/Dive Cozumel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ahplee

Reaction score
Hi all,
Thanks in advance for any and all of your comments. :)

We are trying to plan a dive trip to Cozumel this year and would like to get some advice from everyone on when is the best time to visit... Here are my specific questions...

Best months to visit for....

- Calmest seas
- Mildest weather
- Best Visibility
- Lack of storms/hurricanes?

Thanks again all!

Best,
A & P

I don't know the answers to all of your criteria, but I do know you'd want to avoid June - August for the heat, and August - October for Hurricanes. I go down there every November and the weather has been nice every time, but a little windy. That of course results in pretty rough seas, and less than ideal visibility. So, in short, maybe Spring would be your best bet. Anybody been down there in the Spring that can verify this? :)

May and June.

Not too hot and humid, water is warm, not hurricane season and the nortes are done with.

We've been to Cancun/Cozumel several times in March, April, and late November (the week after Thanksgiving). Our favorite time is the Spring with it's mid 80 to 90 degree weather and lower humidity, but definitely more crowded. Late November is VERY laid back with way fewer people, but tends to rain more. But hey, you're diving, so what's a little rain? The water temp doesn't vary much year round; high 70's to mid 80's.

You're definitely taking a gamble going during the peak part of the hurricane season; July through October. We've talked to people who told us horror stories of being caught there when the last hurricanes blew through the area.

A bad day of visibility (40-60 feet) in the bath warm water off the Yucatan or Cozumel is still better than anything we find off the cold water coast of northern California (6 to 20 feet average).

Hi My wife and I have been diving Coz in Jan/Feb the last 2 years, I will continue this trend till I die. have fun there. It's very amazing.

We were just down there last week and the conditions were ideal. Temps barely got into the low 80s. The ocean was flat and the visibility good 70'-80'. I prefer diving there before June as it gets pretty hot. Most dive ops will take you out to the deep walls on a first dive and the shallow reef on a second dive. Though not as dramatic as the deep dive coral formations, the shallow dives offer much much more in critter sightings. We finally were able to talk the DM into 2 shallow reef dives and were not disappointed. Also benefited with longer bottom time.

We've gone in mid-April 3 times, and missed one day due to an El Norte coming thru. We shore-dove anyway since it was clear by late-morning. Otherwise, the weather and viz is fantastic then. If you wait until after the Easter break, it's pretty quiet there without being dead. We went in September once and had great weather/viz also, but it is a gamble, though not a big one. It was extremely quiet there in September. The water is a couple degrees warmer than in April (low to mid-80s instead of 80).

Hi My wife and I have been diving Coz in Jan/Feb the last 2 years, I will continue this trend till I die. have fun there. It's very amazing.

Hello,

My brother and I are going to Cozumel for the first imd in late January. Any help regarding where to stay, dive shops, things to do, places to eat.

We would greatly appreciate it!

Cheers,
Chris

Hello,

My brother and I are going to Cozumel for the first imd in late January. Any help regarding where to stay, dive shops, things to do, places to eat.

We would greatly appreciate it!

Cheers,
Chris

See similar threads on on forum: Cozumel

Back
Top Bottom