When is the Teric 2 releasing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Surface gps would be fine. Dont need it underwater. Would just be too cool if my dive logs recorded actual location.
Yep. This is a nice feature. I have it on my Garmin. Works pretty well. All I need to do is initiate dive mode and make sure it acquires location before the dive and it will record entry and exit. If I don’t wait long enough before the dive, it may not acquire ent, but will still acquire exit.

Agreed. If Shearwater released a Peregrine AI for a reasonable price, I’d probably buy two of them.
Second this.

@Shearwater
9e9.gif

I'm not trying to go off topic, but as for surface GPS, my dive log app on my phone actually does that. I use MacDive, and the iPhone app version has a location tracker. You just start it before you get kitted up and toss the phone in your dry bag, then when you sit back down after the dive, you select the appropriate spot on the map, name it and save it. Then when you import your dives from the computer (a Teric in my case), it will offer to assign the location to the dive based on the date & time similarity. So having the GPS in the Teric would be nice for sure, but there are some other ways to capture your surface location without it built-in.

EDIT: adding a link to the docs about the tracking feature.

I'm not trying to go off topic, but as for surface GPS, my dive log app on my phone actually does that. I use MacDive, and the iPhone app version has a location tracker. You just start it before you get kitted up and toss the phone in your dry bag, then when you sit back down after the dive, you select the appropriate spot on the map, name it and save it. Then when you import your dives from the computer (a Teric in my case), it will offer to assign the location to the dive based on the date & time similarity. So having the GPS in the Teric would be nice for sure, but there are some other ways to capture your surface location without it built-in.

EDIT: adding a link to the docs about the tracking feature.
I do something similar with Dive Log on my iPhone. During the dive briefing. I just create the site, add the site name and grab the GPS coordinates. Works great so I have no need for integrated GPS in the Teric (or any DC).

3CAE159E-3B31-4921-B401-FFF6F316F259.jpeg

6B67CA4E-E7B8-4CA8-80C0-5B9639891108.jpeg

2D1CDAE2-1AD0-4EE0-86E7-A7C79304B019.png

I'd say don't fix what isn't broken, but having had more than few Terics fail now due to battery/temp sensors. Some sort of revision/update would be nice. I mean shearwater customer service balances the failure rate, as dealing with them has been painless. I'm sort of mixed on GPS, for boat dives I just use MacDive which is already logging the GPS coordinates for me and just tags the sites automatically, and shore diving well that's even easier. If you have a really long surface swim or really want to be precise on the drop point I can see the draw. I won't buy a dive computer just for it, but won't turn my nose away at it either. Outside of those two things, I don't really see any features lacking or needing to be added. I guess adding snake or something while doing deco hangs would be nice lol. Of the 4 shearwaters I currently use, currently the Teric is the one most frequently relegated to the storage box, usually just bring it out for pool training days or open circuit dive vacation diving.

I'm sort of mixed on GPS, for boat dives I just use MacDive which is already logging the GPS coordinates for me and just tags the sites automatically, and shore diving well that's even easier.
I did the same for a while. Downloading the dive from my Shearwater post dive, and grabbing the GPS coordinates. Mainly so I wouldn’t need to remember later. They are all spots on my plotter, so I could get them later if I needed

However, since I started using the Garmin as a backup, I no longer need to. When I get back to the boat, the dive is automatically synced to Garmin Dive with the actual entry and exit locations. Exit location can be key, as you may want to mark an area for future dives.

I have an Apple Watch Ultra as my backup to my Teric. I haven't used the Oceanic+ app yet, but that has the auto GPS. I'm looking forward to seeing how that compares to my manually-captured coordinates.

Like others have said, I wouldn't turn my nose up to Shearwater adding GPS to the next Teric, but I also don't think it would be a deal-breaker if they didn't include it either.

Back
Top Bottom