When should someone take the DIRF / DIR-F class?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

animian2002:
But now I'm :thinkingo .given my current equipment config and etc, will I have problem with the Rescue course I'm planning to take next year :33:
afterall not many people dive the way I do and uses the gears I use :33:

You might be surprised. I took my rescue class in a Halcyon Pioneer 36 with a long hose/bungee reg configuration. Stripping the gear was a little more complicated; however, did not appear to present any major issues.

Since then, I've assisted at many rescue classes in that rig. It hasn't presented any problems. Moreover, I believe that it is worthwhile for students to work on the type of rigs that they will see if they continue diving out of our shop.

I had 42 or so dives when I did my DIR-f this last April (my logbook's at home, otherwise I could post the exact number). The thing I did (and still do) most poorly was mask removal, quite a challenge in 48 degree water in my opinion.

Jimmie

I took Fundamentals last month after logging about 20 scuba dives lifetime total. I took OW/AOW three years ago, then got distracted doing freediving for a long time. Besides the above classes, I'd only done a couple of dives to get a nitrox cert and a handful (maybe half dozen or so) scuba dives outside of a class environment. (However, over the past couple of years I've done freediving sessions that would be the equivalent of about 120 dives.)

This weekend I was on a boat with a number of folks who, by and large, started taking GUE classes later in their diving career. They agreed that they had built up more bad habits that they had to unlearn. On one dive I buddied with a guy who just got his basic cert last summer and took DIR-F in the fall. He was very squared-away, much more so than a lot of more experienced divers I've seen in the water.

As I understand it, GUE fomerly required a 25-dive minimum to take DIR-F, but they did away with this requirement this year when they decided to make the class pass-fail and issue a cert card.

I took the Fundamentals class in July 2002 right after my OW certification. I had about 12 total dives when I started the class. GUE didn't enforce the 25 dive minimum requirement and let me take the class. I believe that it was a huge advantage to take the class before I had learned too many bad habits. The instructors were far from concerned at my lack of experience - to the contrary they were pleased to teach someone who was essentially a blank slate.

WJL:
I had about 12 total dives when I started the class. GUE didn't enforce the 25 dive minimum requirement and let me take the class.
It would appear that GUE has actually changed its standards from the previous 25-dive requirement. According to the latest Standards posted on their web site, your 12 dives would not violate either sections 1.6 (General Prerequisites for all GUE Courses) nor 2.1.2.2 (Prerequisites for the DIR-F course).

This would indeed make DIR-F an immediate follow-up to an OW course, particularly with its maximum depth limit of 18 metres. An interesting concept and one which could conceivably lead to other agencies following suit ...

Hey There FrankO.

I also took DIR-F pretty much after my AOW, i had about 30 dives since my AOW.
It has been the best class i ever took. Made diving 100% more fun.

BadFish:
Hey There FrankO.
Man, there goes the neighborhood. One board couldn't contain him ...

(Just pulling BadFish's leg (or fin) here, folks. In truth, a real nice guy and amiable dive buddy.)

I say take the DIR-F class as soon as possible. This way, you will not have as many bad habits to break. The best option is to be OW certified by a DIR Instructor.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom