When should someone take the DIRF / DIR-F class?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's part of why I'm so uptite over this. The guy that set the class up is working on becoming a GUE instructor. I'm not sure when he will be finished, he said he still has a couple more classes to sit in on first. Colorado is a LONG way away from the nearest GUE instructor. My other option was to try and take it again when I get to Sarasota FL in March. Trouble being, it may not be offered there either and I may have to pay again.
Marc, are you still in the building????????

I need to pay for the class ASAP, I don't want to loose out on it.
Thanks
Greg

Dr. Frankenmule:
I just found out a DIRf class is going to be held here in my neck of the woods. Am I better off taking it now or waiting till next summer.

Take the class now. The more you dive before you take it, the more bad habits you will accumulate and the harder it will be for you to change.

i signed up last night for the DIRF from fifthd in seattle from 6/11 through 6/13...

I'm also thinking of the DIR-f course. Do I need to have a DIR-f compliant kit to take the class? I am in the process of shopping for a BP&W setup. However, I have a Suunto Cobra (air integrated computer). I understand that DIR uses a pressure gauge and a bottom timer. How much of my set up do I need to make DIR compliant prior to the course?

crosing:
I'm also thinking of the DIR-f course. Do I need to have a DIR-f compliant kit to take the class? I am in the process of shopping for a BP&W setup. However, I have a Suunto Cobra (air integrated computer). I understand that DIR uses a pressure gauge and a bottom timer. How much of my set up do I need to make DIR compliant prior to the course?
Pretty much the whole thing. Talk to an instructor. There are several on the board. You'll get the best answer from them then you will from anyone here.

crosing:

Information about the course prerequisites, academic content, required skills and required equipment is at this link http://www.gue.com/classroom/dirfund.shtml.

The stated requirements for equipment to measure depth and dive time are: "At least one depth-measuring device; At least one timekeeping device" so it appears your Cobra would meet the basic requirement. However there is also this caveat: "Prior to the commencement of class, students should consult with a GUE representative to verify equipment requirements. Whether or not a piece of equipment fulfills GUE's equipment requirement remains at the discretion of GUE and its instructor representatives. Participants are responsible for providing all equipment or for making provisions to secure the use of necessary equipment before the start of the course."

The bottom line: send your instructor an email before the class to find out if your equipment is acceptable.

I was told to use the computer in the "gauge" mode. So it's more of a bottom timer and depth gauge. I dive with a seperate depth gauge and watch anyway. Uwatec has a basic bottom timer/depth gauge for about $150. if you want something else.

Greg

DS1:
The sooner you take it the better cause you have less bad habits to get rid of... this course is for any levels of diving
SO I,VE HAD ENOUGH TIME TO COLLECT BAD HABITS THE PAST TWENTY- ONE YEARS,BUT SORRY BACK THEN WE (NAVY)DIDNT HAVE DIR-F CLASSES,DO I NEED A NEW C-CARD NOW?

No, but you need to stop shouting.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom