When to take a flashlight?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You are about 2 lights short. ALWAYS take lights, mirror, cutter and it is nice to have have some reflective material on our gear... you will be easier to find. Even a poor light is better than no light. Your light can be seen way further than you can use it to see. I dive lakes, rivers, quarry and cave. Shine a light on me and I stick out like a sore thumb. Even in the deep blue sea, I carry the same gear.

If I'm diving I have a couple lights.

I bring a light on every dive. I attach a small light to the left shoulder strap my of harness on a retractor.

My Video rig has 2 Wide Angles,and me and the missus always carry 1-2 each,they make for good signalling devices,night/deep or just low vis essential

I have a small flashlight that I'm going to take on an upcoming trip that I could attach to my BC. This had me wondering.

When do you use a flashlight? Do you only use one when going to a certain depth or do you always take one as a safety precaution?

Thanks.

In addition to it being my backup light at night my smaller light is almost always with me.

1) To look into a dim crevice or under a ledge
2) To signal to a misplaced buddy in poor visibility
3) At depth, especially in fresh water it can be surprisingly dim.

Ocasionaly if I want the bare minimum with me at a barren clear water site I may leave it behind but it's rare.

Used to use just one, now I have a new primary. So will always have 2. Day or night...Granted many dives here in Seattle even in day time are low viz :)

My wife and I both carry small lights in our BC pockets on every dive (and then really light up for cenotes and night dives). We were diving in Cozumel several years ago, and followed our dive guide toward a swim through. We both produced our lights and turned them on, and the guide came over to my wife and unclipped hers so he would have one to guide with. Now this discussion makes me wonder whether I (we) should be carrying two on daylight dives, so that we have a "safe second" light?

I always carry two flashlights clipped to my shoulder d-rings and, for some dives (such as caves), I also bring a third light.

If I were to present general guidelines, I'd say that, for someone doing daytime open water dives, taking one flashlight is a good idea. For night dives, two lights is essential. I don't think that a third light is necessary for rec dives, as a diver doing them should be able to call the dive and ascend the moment the first light fails.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom