When to take fundies..... An example...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rlynch

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I loosely run a local dive community modeled on what i saw in the PNW (Seattle), were doing weekly dives and generally having fun and mentoring those whom what to, or just diving....

A new member of the community showed up not to long ago, newly certified (SSI i believe), in double AL80's and a BP/W, with a desire to take fundies, SOON!.

By newly certified i mean that I was on his Dive #10 in open water, Total.

So a couple of dives later with the group, (i only was on the one) his last before fundies, #10, where another diver and I did some basic drills, SMB shoots, and valves in demo mode, and he's in High Springs Florida with Doug Mudry taking fundies.

Net/Net is 5 days later he emerges with a TECH pass!! Awesome Job!!! and just shows that with focus and determination and some basic skills.

We counseled him to only work on being Still at a constant depth in the water when he was practicing in the pool where he lived which he did a lot.

Moral to the story... If you are on the fence i would go for it sooner rather than later. Practice being still enough to learn and be determined.

This is something i am still working on myself. :)

I'm right with you on this. I actually signed up for Fundies the same day I signed up for OW. Knowing the direction I wanted to go with my diving saved me a lot of time and money because The lds geared me up appropriately and I didn't waste time having to unlearn bad habits.

I'd definitely agree on the sooner vs. later concept. I was several thousand dives and ~15 years as an instructor when I took mine and definitely don't see the value. But for someone in the 10-300 range, I think it's a great curriculum.

It's easier to learn new skills then overcome the muscle memory of "previous skills", there's never a bad time to DIR.

Wow. I'm floored.

But I'll offer a different perspective. My teammates in Fundies had 8 and 16 dives, respectively, and were in a wetsuit and a dry suit, respectively. Both of them floundered badly -- they weren't able to swim the square from 25 to 15 feet without corking. They had a miserable experience, and one almost quit diving altogether. Neither stayed with GUE diving.

I believe it was UK GUE Instructor John Kendall who wrote a post saying that the minimum prerequisite for Fundies is the ability to hover well enough to watch a skills demonstration. To that, I would add the ability to swim from 25 to 15 feet without losing buoyancy control. Some students at 10 dives can do all those things, but some can't. There is no point at all in taking the class as a method of feeling horrible about yourself. You can do that in the later classes . . . :)

10 dives and a tech pass? Wow, way to make some of us feel real bad :-(

Only kidding, but am very impressed! He must have been a natural.

Trying to schedule a Fundamentals course for myself too later this summer. Hopefully it will work out.

I wonder if I can muster a tech pass - not used doubles yet!

What happens if one gets a rec pass but not a tec - is the procedure for getting the latter just arranging for another test using the tec gear? Does that cost a lot?

MT

He was good in the water to start with, and he went directly to doubles on day one. I'm not saying its common for that to happen but its possible. and everyone should realize that.

If you can stay still in the water, you can dedicate your attention to focusing on the skills, and not fighting for buoyancy control. Everyone is different and has different things to work on.

You can get a Rec pass in singles (with or without a light) - I would ask your instructor about their process for upgrades. It may cost, or it may not. You may have to repeat the class. There is no standard that i am aware of as each instructor runs an independent business.

That guy certainly does have innate ability!

But also, he had a pool available in which he practiced alot. So his water time was probably significantly more than the average new diver with 10 dives.

But he still has talent. Is he now planning on becoming a GUE instructor, or is he headed for Tech or Cave?

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom