When to Use Dump Valve

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

girlfriend's Scubapro can be vented with a gentle tug on the corrugated hose

My wife’s Scubapro has both the inflator pill and a dump by her right shoulder.

Gentle tug is the key words. I've read some situations of diver pulling the corrugated hose a little bit to far and rip off the power inflator from the hose and lost the ability to inflate the BCD when needed during the dive. I avoid doing this as much as I can.

Noted. Will forward this on to my wife.

I second this. Anyone that has serviced pull dump inflators can vouch for their fragility. The worst I have seen is the aqualung version.

In the case of my wife’s Scubapro would it be best for her to just use the right shoulder dump to avoid this?

@Dubious

You might find you have to go a little bit arse up to use the butt dump.

As you have noticed by now air bubbles always go up.
So if your bubble inside your bladder is at your dump valve use that to dump air if you're head up and can use the inflate to dump air as your bubble is in the upper end of your bladder.

Also keep in mind if you don't raise the hose to give the air a place to go it won't flow down/out since it isn't under any pressure pushing the air.

I use my dump valves to correct excess positive buoyancy when in a horizontal or head down position. I also have a top dump too (older Zeagle Stilhetto) so I rarely use my hose at all except to correct excess negative buoyancy.

My wife’s Scubapro has both the inflator pill and a dump by her right shoulder.

Noted. Will forward this on to my wife.

In the case of my wife’s Scubapro would it be best for her to just use the right shoulder dump to avoid this?

IMHO the pull dump inflator mechanism is for emergency only. For standard venting always use a dump valve or deflate button.

I've never used the dump valve. Haven't had any reason to. Am I in the minority? I keep it flushed out with fresh water after dives and in good shape.

IMHO the pull dump inflator mechanism is for emergency only. For standard venting always use a dump valve or deflate button.

Indeed, like power inflator button sticking, as posted here: No Good Deed Goes Unpunished. I would also practice in detaching the LP hose quick connector off the power inflator when this situation occurs.

My Air2 inflator pull dump also has a small tab on the shoulder that opens the valve when it’s pushed forward. It’s easier than using the pull feature itself, and less effort.

Oh man, I rarely use the dump valve. Usually, I just have to rotate a little bit to my right, and hit the air purge valve on my BCD, and enough goes out to easily adjust buoyancy. I've occasionally used the dump valve, but on my BCD (a Halcyon wing), it's fairly inconveniently located. And something I only use if there's some air I can't get out any other way.

Interesting read, in all my dives i have never used it. I thought it was only used in a emergency like an uncontrollable accent. I continue to learn from this group! Tanks Bill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom