When to Use Dump Valve

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've tried the various dumps on my BCD, it takes a second or two to find them especially when wearing thick gloves, even after doing it multiple times; and they don't operate all that well as compared to a quick tug on the inflator hose. Is it "lazy and ineffective" to use what one is comfortable with and has found to work best?

In reality you should easily be able to find various dumps on your BCD by instinctively knowing where they are by the position of your hands.

While I have a Inflator hose pull dump on my BCD - which I retain for an "emergency" dump if my hands are full controlling students, I disconnected the function on my DiveRite wings and its not equipped on my X-Deep SM rig

Rear, string pulled dumps are easy to control, rather than just tugging, I wrap the string around my fingers and gently roll my hand for fine control. Learning how much to pull is just down to practice.

I will on occasion use the button on my inflator to dump mid dive - for either I don't need to move much out of trim. Whatever buoyancy adjustments need not to be much more than small adjustments during the dive.

But do what works for you - but worth familiarising yourself with other methods before dismissing them out of hand

Just reading through this thread.

I guess Im not in perfect horizontal trim 100% of the time like some folks. Sometimes I tip up to look into a crevice, to look for pelagic fish, or to enjoy the kelp strands rising to the surface, or for whatever reason at all.

If Im swimming, I use the kidney dump, because I dont want to break trim.

Otherwise, I generally tip up and use the dump on the inflator hose, as I have better control on how much gets dumped. I dont consider it some kind of sacrilege to break trim for a second. I'll be back in trim presently, no problem.

But for deacons of the Church of Perfect Trim 100% of the Time, please absolve me of my sins.

Your pleading that with thick gloves the dump is harder to find, or less sensitive (than pulling a hose? really?)

Yes really it's true. You don't have to take my word for it just read the numerous posts on this thread showing how much more time and effort is required to find the dump valve and move the hand and fingers around to grab that elusive string as opposed to simply grabbing that big corrugated hose for a quick well controlled tug.

Just reading through this thread.

I guess Im not in perfect horizontal trim 100% of the time like some folks. Sometimes I tip up to look into a crevice, to look for pelagic fish, or to enjoy the kelp strands rising to the surface, or for whatever reason at all.

If Im swimming, I use the kidney dump, because I dont want to break trim.

Otherwise, I generally tip up and use the dump on the inflator hose, as I have better control on how much gets dumped. I dont consider it some kind of sacrilege to break trim for a second. I'll be back in trim presently, no problem.

But for deacons of the Church of Perfect Trim 100% of the Time, please absolve me of my sins.

Me too!

My neck & back hurt if I dive in perfectly horizontal trim for an hour. It’s like walking while looking at the sky for an hour. I need to look down or forward once in a while.

To each his own, but I completely agree with my Cavern Diver instructor on eliminating pull dumps.

Pull Dumps — lose them

^The thread you posted as reason not to use a pull dump is based on a diver improperly using his gear. If we apply that logic universally we would be left with nothing but our swimsuits.

^The thread you posted as reason not to use a pull dump is based on a diver improperly using his gear. If we apply that logic universally we would be left with nothing but our swimsuits.

If you actually read past the initial post you will discover numerous reasons for eliminating inflator pull dumps. The rationale is not based on a single incident. I honestly don’t care if you dive with a pull dump or not, but being dismissive doesn’t further the discussion.

If you actually read past the initial post you will discover numerous reasons for eliminating inflator pull dumps. .

I read past the initial post and read or skimmed the entire 23 page thread. The only failures mentioned are due to a diver misusing the equipment and/or poor maintenance.

And? You win the award for the most useless post of this thread!
At least mine was pertinent & informative to those that were interested as to what the internals of a inflator dump mechanism looks like, sorry if it offended the aqualung/sea quest fan boys.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom