Where and with who to get intro to cave+ cavern instruction?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Felipe Telles

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey all,

Me and my fiancee just got back from a amazing liveaboard trip to Malpelo - Colombia and we're willing to take our next step on diving. We've been certified for about 1 year and we have about 75 dives each, most of them in sites where the current was strong and the vis was limited. Our goal is to become stronger divers (and dive buddies), and of course to get to know the wonderful world of caves.
My question now is where and with who to get instruction? We wanted to go to Florida last year to do some diving and watch some football games (she's addicted to football), but just before paying for the trip we decided to go to Bonaire where we would have more options, as we were begginers. Now that I did some research I found out that despite Florida being a great place for cave diving, Mexico would be better for people like us, who would like to learn how to cave dive. Now I'm stuck in between these two places. What counts as another point for Florida is that we could buy our tech gear (wings for doubles, DIN regs, can lights), for cheaper prices.
What you guys sugest? :cool2:

Felipe

Hi Felipe,

I'm not a terribly experienced cave diver myself, but I have a great instructor that addressed this question very neatly, and in a way that I agree with at the "gut" level-- do your training in Florida and then do a vacation in Mexico.

The best goal you can set for yourself in training for this type of environment is to try to be over-trained for problems that might occur at the level of diving you'll be doing. Florida has beautiful caves, but the environment is more harsh than in Mexico-- generally Florida caves are deeper, definitely colder, and there are some high flow systems that are not something you'd experience in the Yucatan. If you can get a chance to do some real problem solving there while in the presence of your instructor, you'll be much better prepared psychologically if any issues arise when you go out on your own to dive.

Become comfortable in your training in these conditions, and you will generally help yourself to be better rounded than if you confine your experience to one environment. And once you become comfortable at 70 ft depth,70F temperature, with an underground river trying it's best to eject you out of the system, I think you will absolutely love your first time in some of what's to be found in the Riviera Maya.

I sure did :wink:

I would go for Florida. Mexican caves are amazing but getting your training in a more demanding environment will make you stronger divers... In theory.

If you are going to Florida, look into Dayo scuba. Excellent instructors. Good luck and dive safe.

If you want one of the best: Jeff Bozanic.

Drop him a line, he's independent and will travel to teach, maybe you could meet somewhere neat?

Oops-- almost passed up a golden opportunity to drop a name of my own!!

As I said, I have a great instructor: Carl Griffing, out of Houston, TX would definitely be good to get in touch with.

I'm very biased, the sun rises and sets on him in my book, but I'm sure he would be able to give you some other references who think just as highly of him.

I'm sure you will get many answers to who's the best though-- people can be very partial to instructors in particular. What is certain is that you'll get the best experience with someone who's knowledgeable and who's teaching style is compatible with your learning style. Try to spend some time interviewing potential instructors if you can to get a feeling for what will work for you and your fiancee.

I'm sure Carl is a great instructor, and in some ways you are in a better position to recommend than I, you've taken courses from him and I have not taken any from Jeff, he and I are colleagues. But, while the sun rises and sets on Carl in your book, Jeff literally wrote the book. (NAUI Advanced Diver text and Mastering Rebreathers) :D

Carl's an awesome instructor ... so is Jim Wyatt. I have experience with both, and would recommend that you contact them and discuss what you are looking for and what they can offer you. Both are members of ScubaBoard, and can be reached right here ... Carl is Phreatic Fanatic and Jim is Capt. Jim Wyatt.

Another instructor I'd recommend talking to is Rob Neto ... Dive-aholic here on ScubaBoard. I took a sidemount class with him recently and found him to be a very good instructor.

I think with cave instructors you really should "shop around" ... ask lots of questions about their program, experience level, and expectations of you as a student. Even the best instructors might not be the best choice if their teaching style isn't a good match with your goals and learning style. And a poorly chosen instructor can make for an expensive and disappointing outcome.

Cave classes ain't cheap. You really need to do some personal "homework" choosing an instructor you can be comfortable with ... because there's all sorts of different training philosophies and styles available. Folks can give you recommendations based on experiences they've had ... but those experiences are what worked for them ... not necessarily for you.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Thus far I am the least experienced person to post, so read the post in that context.

I took my Cavern course (NACD) with Johnny Richards (Cave Diving Website) and loved it. He was an excellent instructor and very patient. If I were to continue on in cave diving, I would take a course from him or ask him for a referral.

Get trained well in Florida, then enjoy the cenotes!

Thanks a lot everyone for the replies. I am contacting the instructor you guys indicated. You were very helpful! :D

I've taken classes with Lloyd Bailey, Jeff Bauer, and Rich Courtney. All of them had excellent recommendations from previous students but the experience varied tremendously. It's kinda hard to recommend one without talking down another with how much my experience varied, so I'm going to suggest that you talk to each instructor and ask for
  • What skills are covered?
  • How much time is spent in the water on average?
  • How many sites will I visit during training?
  • In the last 6 months, what were your favorite non teaching dives?

One person I have not taken a class with, but have dove with his students and spent quite a bit of time talking to is Mark Messersmith. He's one of the few instructors out there that is willing to discuss multi stage deep dive planning. He really treats his students like his kids, I've seen him spend countless hours with a student wanting to improve between or after classes-- not many instructors will do that these days.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom