Where Can I Buy Burst Disks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Interesting thread and a lot of good info. As for owning and/or possesing a cylinder with the relief valve (burst disk) rendered inoperable I do not believe it is illegal or prohibited by 49CFR. However, if you do double up the disks, you cannot get the cylinder filled by any commercial enterprise, including your LDS. Filling and/or offering for transport of a cylinder in this condition is prohibited, so although your not breaking the law by doing this, your shop would be if they filled it.

Also, if you do have a cylinder in this condition, you had best be driving a vehicle with passenger plates on it; even though it was cheaper to put commercial plates on your pickup or SUV you have subjected yourself to an aweful lot of these types of laws. Now, I will admit that you probably wouldn't ever get cought but if a drunk driver were to hit you and your cylinder exploded killing or injurying someone (even the drunk driver that caused the accident) guess who's in a whole heap of Do Do!

All of that aside, think of this. OSHA regulations, fire codes, and the like are all knee jerk reactions to catastrophic events. Our society has not really taken a proactive stance when legislating safety regulations. If there is a law out there specifically preventing something like this, believe me, it is not because we have fantastic foreward thinking politicians, it is because someone, somewhere died.

And as a final thought. It is my personal opinion that anyone who condones this behavior should forever give up the right to refer to any SCUBA gear as life safety equipment.

Ken

Interesting thread and a lot of good info. As for owning and/or possesing a cylinder with the relief valve (burst disk) rendered inoperable I do not believe it is illegal or prohibited by 49CFR. However, if you do double up the disks, you cannot get the cylinder filled by any commercial enterprise, including your LDS. Filling and/or offering for transport of a cylinder in this condition is prohibited, so although your not breaking the law by doing this, your shop would be if they filled it.

Also, if you do have a cylinder in this condition, you had best be driving a vehicle with passenger plates on it; even though it was cheaper to put commercial plates on your pickup or SUV you have subjected yourself to an aweful lot of these types of laws. Now, I will admit that you probably wouldn't ever get cought but if a drunk driver were to hit you and your cylinder exploded killing or injurying someone (even the drunk driver that caused the accident) guess who's in a whole heap of Do Do!

All of that aside, think of this. OSHA regulations, fire codes, and the like are all knee jerk reactions to catastrophic events. Our society has not really taken a proactive stance when legislating safety regulations. If there is a law out there specifically preventing something like this, believe me, it is not because we have fantastic foreward thinking politicians, it is because someone, somewhere died.

And as a final thought. It is my personal opinion that anyone who condones this behavior should forever give up the right to refer to any SCUBA gear as life safety equipment.

Ken

KEN for President 2008! Any one know a good button maker? :usa_2:

426Scuba:
Depends on if you want 3500psi buttons or 5500psi buttons. eyebrow

426Scuba:

Oh, great! My head just swelled up so much I blew a disk. :)

Ken

Burst Disc is the name used by the scuba industry for this item and they are the only industry that uses this term. I can't recall what the acutal name of the item is for every other industry in the world but I will see if I can figure it out. I am certain that you can purchase them for a fraction of the cost by buying them outside of the scuba industry. Try looking through the Thomas Register or similar indexing for them.

They are a standard item for many other high pressure applications

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom