Where Can I get a Bang Stick for a shark dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It works similiar to that around here, except most of us use a gun vs a machette. Wimps I guess, but they do it with knives in the Smokey Mountains, I here.

The wild hoggs aren't native to this area either. They were introduced, supposedly, a guy just wanting to train his dogs.

Thank you warhammer....thank you, thank you

I am a native Texan and grew up hunting and fishing. Hunter, fisherman (recreational) and I also belive divers put more money into habitat conservation, animal research, and habitat reclaimation than any other group in the US. We are the ones who try to protect the very resource we love and enjoy.

But... if we get shut down...and we become disallowed to do what we enjoy doing then all money will go away. There will be no one to provide funding for wildlife management research. There will be no one who will provide funding for studies on coral bleaching or fish counts or what to do about to populations of deer in urban parks in New York that are eating peoples gardens. PETA doesn't provide money for this. It all comes from the ones who enjoy the sports. Scuba divers too

Tom

Warhammer..... Can I come hunt pigs with ya? My brother lives in Ocean Springs. We could hunt pigs one day and dive the next mebbe?

Tom

Sure anytime. Ocean Springs is a far cry from here though. I'm in the northeast corner of Mississippi. If you're ever in the neighborhood, give me a holler, we'll find something to do.

I use to be an avid hunter/fisherman, and I'm still a member of several local hunting clubs, but over the last few years I've lost interest in hunting. Last year I deer hunted maybe 5 times and took 1 deer.

I haven't even been hog hunting this year, but some friends of mine have been trying to get to go lately. Diving has become my new passion and I spent most of free time either doing it or looking for a excuse to do it.

ITCH - ITCH - ITCH .....

UGHHH,

I just cannot stand it anymore ... I HAVE TO SCRATCH IT!!!

wcoyote - Standing Ovation! That was beautiful man, absolutely beautiful, Masterful if I may say so... well done indeed! ...

As for me, I am grinding my teeth and holding back but I will say one thing ...

hop in the water with the gator-mano a mano-then we'll see who the real man is....I bet you loose.

Do I think I am a "Real Man"? Yes, no doubts there!

Do I think doing something like taking on a Gator, on his turf, on his terms, shows any kind of intelligence, maturity or display of being an advanced species on the food chain? LOL ... HARDLY! Let me ask you, when is the last time you went "Back to the Basics" and WORKED / FOUGHT for your dinner? And NO, mowing the back yard doesn't count, hehe

=-)

I've looked around a little and haven't found any bang sticks - seems they're no longer "in" -
I suspect that if "firearms" are banned for taking gators, then bangsticks (which are certainly firearms) would be banned too. If you're sure they're legal, you can easily build one in any machine shop from readily available materials. A 12 ga shotgun shell fits 3/4" pipe perfectly... Many, many years ago, before I'd ever heard the term "bang stick" (and when we were ignorant of the ecological realities of shark behavior and populations) we built 'em ourselves.
*WARNING* These things are deadly in ways that make high powered rifles look like pea shooters. If you do manufacture one, make absolutely sure you include a safety in your design - with a bang stick the bullet or shot is incidental to the shock wave and the expanding gasses of the "bang" (which is surprisingly quiet, by the way) - an animal hit with a bang stick - especially a 12 ga - in a place that would be a mildly irritating flesh wound were it hit with a rifle - will be dead. Period. Humans too.
*BE CAREFUL*
Rick

KN - Thanks for the adaboy.

Rick - Thanks, i understand that it is hard to find. If you know of any places to find a good priced powerhead please let me know. I was told that that should work.

Dive safe!

Scuba Coyote

Amazing how judgmental people get when it comes to killing and eating critters!

Drop me a line if you can't get a bang stick locally. For gators the 44magnum is the most popular.

bangstick@rayzplace.com

Ray,
Thanks for the info. I have checked out your website and fowared it on to my friend. His name is Steve Wilcox. When he gets his final permit he said he would email you about the Bang Stick in .44mag.
Thanks again for your help.
Scuba Coyote

Back
Top Bottom