Where Can I get a Bang Stick for a shark dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The bang stick may not be the way to go and are illegal in many states. Please do an internet search on alligator hunting in Lafayette, Louisiana. There are many tour operators, but they may be able to help information wise on how to trap and kill alligators. In the meantime, I will look for a guy I met in Lafayette and he may be able to help. Sorry Buff, we have way too many alligators in this state (in addition to Nutria); swampland in LA and the Everglades in Fla. have a tendency to breed these animals.

If they don't provide the info., please let me know and I will see what else I can do.

Throughout this thread numbers have come up, especially with deer hunts? In your neck of the woods, how many deer are allowed. Here, in Saskatchewan, you are allowed 1 white tailed deer, (possibly 2 in some zones I think), you can also enter a draw for a mule deer in a SPECIFIC zone (there are 76 zones in the province). Thanks.

In VA, most counties east of Blue Ridge mtns furnish deer "tags" for a fee. The tags, each of which is good for one deer, are identified by sex. Buck tag, doe tag or either sex. Separate sets of tags are available for sale depending on the season and weapon, eg archery, firearms, black powder guns. The total number a hunter can legally take is often five or more. In addition, there are special "damage" permits available to certain landowners.

The problem here is not whitetail restrictions but rather restrictions on spearfishing striped bass and tuna. These cannot be taken with spear at this time. No particular reason as far as game management, it's just that the regulators are fishermen, not divers.

In MS the season is quite long and the limits are quite liberal. The first season starts the first week in October every year and lasts until the weekend before Thanksgiving. It's an either sex season, with everything except spotted fawns and bucks with less than 4 points being legal. Then the first of a series of gun seasons start and last until the 2nd week in January. Most of the gun seasons have the same restrictions as the bow season, depending on your specific county, with a 4pt or better and no fawns. The season ends with another 2 week bow season that lasts until the last day of January and is buck, 4pt or better, only. And I believe they added the use of primitive weapons (muzzleloaders) into this last season last year. The yearly limits are 5 bucks and 4 does per hunter. I think the non-residents have stricter limits but I don't recall what they are. Except on state controlled lands and some clubs, tags and permits aren't used. So it is quiet easy to overkill your limit if you wanted to. And I suspect alot of hunters do just that. I have never found a need for that much venison so I might take 2 deer a year, but usually just one. The reason they restrictions are so loose is because the population is so high in much of MS and the Game Wardens end up thinning the herd just about every year even after these liberal limits.

What gets me is that we also have thousands of acres upon acres of fresh water lakes, rivers, streams, and reservoirs with a very healthy fish population. But it is illegal to spearfish in these waters for any species, including non-gamefish such as catfish and carp.

In Alabama the herd has grown to nuisance proportions, despite the "deer-a-day" limit (that's 75 deer if you care to hunt every day of the season).
Rick

Isn't it hard to track a deer when you're wearing your fins? But, on the good side, you never run out of air.

Amazing topic change here. If 25% of the scuba divers are women, I would guess it's even lower for women that are hunters.
Born and raised in Chicago, it's a bit hard to think of killing a deer. Yet, I can see both sides to this post clearly.
Seems there is a need to kill and hunt, but I'll leave that to the Men out there.
Did your friend finally get what he was looking for?
:sunny:

That's a lot of deer. Makes one or two here TOTAl seem like...well, I don't know the word.

I don't think that spearfishing is allowed here, although, it would be neat, I just suppose that maybe it has never been a major deal, how many spearfishers could there be out here in the boonies

Originally posted by Natasha
Did your friend finally get what he was looking for?
:sunny:

Natasha,
Yes he did. Also thanks to all of the people who helped me find it for him.

Scuba Coyote

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom