Where did you solo dive today?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nice pictures as always Sas. No diving for me the past few weeks, so I'll have to live vicariously through scuba pictures, :wink:

Thanks for posting them!

Best wishes.

Nice pictures as always Sas. No diving for me the past few weeks, so I'll have to live vicariously through scuba pictures, :wink:

Thanks for posting them!

Best wishes.

Thanks! Also here are some seahorse shots that I have taken lately (though not when solo diving) but I remember you saying you liked seahorses!

4570200847_cdd79630d3.jpg

4570201639_656c04df0e.jpg

4394261292_e6788f3cda.jpg

Will you be out diving again soon?

.....Will you be out diving again soon?

Yes!!! (I hope so!). Work and weather have conspired to keep me out of the water, but I'm hopeful for next weekend.

We are experiencing the tail end of an El Nino weather pattern here in Hawaii, and this seems to have resulted in the LEAST diveable winter and spring in many years here in Hilo. Hilo is on the windward side of the Big Island, and unlike Kona we often have wind, rain and rough water.... but USUALLY there are still plenty of dive-able days year-round. This year there have just been fewer good days (at least when I was available). Hopefully as we get into summer that will change.

Ohh, and lovely seahorses Sas!

Best wishes.

Did my shortest, shallowest solo dive ever last night. A friend had been working on his boat over the week-end, and dropped a brass-capped wooden spar overboard while taking it off to work on it. So I told him I'd go recover it for him.

Got to the boat, had him show me about where he dropped it. Vis was about a foot, and I figured I'd be doing a "braille" search, so I put a weighted line overboard with a backup light on it to provide me a visual reference. Geared up and dropped down the line. As I approached the bottom, I noticed something reflecting off the beam of the light on the bottom of the line ... it was the brass cap on one end of the spar ... which was sticking straight up in the mud about six inches from the down line.

Pulled it out of the mud and ascended ... took me longer to get outta my rig and back on the boat than it took to do the dive. Would've just stayed down there and looked around a bit if the vis hadn't been so bad ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

:) <snip>
The stingray hangs out a lot too and even bit my buddy once when he was practicing linework (luckily he had no mask on and could not tell there was a giant stingray attached to his arm).

There is only one appropriate reply to this - Crikey!

Guy

There is only one appropriate reply to this - Crikey!

Guy

Haha actually usually they are quite friendly, they like swimming over the top of you to get the bubbles on their stomach... and they have gummy mouths so he wasn't injured. I nearly died of fright however. Can't imagine what my buddy would have done had he known what happened at the time. I tried to tell him underwater by imitating a stingray by flapping my arms and crossing my legs like a tail and pointing to his arm but he just found it confusing :)

I tried to tell him underwater by imitating a stingray by flapping my arms and crossing my legs like a tail and pointing to his arm but he just found it confusing :)

Hard to imagine he didn't figure that out right away... :wink:

Great pics Sas. We get old boards to look at here...

Hard to imagine he didn't figure that out right away... :wink:

He didn't have a mask on, we were practicing for a course he had coming up... Also it was night time! :wink:

He didn't have a mask on, we were practicing for a course he had coming up... Also it was night time! :wink:

LMAO... Well that would explain it then... Sounds like one of my buddys, blind as a bat and dumber than a sack of hammers...

Back
Top Bottom