Where did you solo dive today?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Someone at the restaurant said "you're not diving alone are you?" :wink:

LOL>.. Tell them you're with me. Or Shirky. Either way, they'll likely just shake their heads and walk away... :no:

Yesterday I dove the wreck of the James C King in Tobermory. No one else on the lake. The one charter boat (that was going to take some friends out) stayed tied to the dock due to weather. I went out with a friend who boat tended...

98', 45 minutes, 3 degree Celsius (38F) water, 130' visibility. 6' waves, 9C air temp... Beautiful!

I had 3 nice solo dives at our local pond this weekend working on some tech skills. I dove deep to avoid the recreational classes at the shallower depths. The cold, dark waters were peaceful and I got in some serious practice time.

Nice middle of the week dive at Pepper Park, Ft. Pierce, FL. Air temp 80F, water temp 70F,
vis 25', max depth 11', ocean flat. Lots of Sheepshead's and Spade fish, small Mangrove snapper schooling, a few lobster.

I squeezed in two yesterday... Both in Tobermory...

Forest City... 155', 40 minute total time. Water temp 38F, air temp 45F. Viz was about 90'
Arabia... 107', 32 minutes total time. Water temp 41F, air temp 41F. Vis about 80'

My solo "buddy" tended boat while I dove and vice versa. No one else diving anywhere that we could see.. :)

Oh I have been forgetting to post here. On the weekend I did a nice solo dive under a pier. 15C, max depth 10m, 90min dive. Viz was about 6m which is pretty good for this site. Found a line tied off under the pier heading out to sea and found out later it was another diver looking for scallops, nearly followed it out to sea to see where it led too but I got distracted with a sea horse and the diver had returned by then. Usually I stay under the pier but I went off adventuring around the area and found a place chock full of fish, which was cool :)

Here is a big cuttlefish I found:
4609271858_7448ac700d.jpg

Loads of Old Wives
4608650741_c6b2f67323.jpg

Big stingray that came out of the blue and scared me!
4608661223_c235393f44.jpg

Under the pier
4609268494_9a1808b814.jpg

Heading back to the exit, was funny to keep looking up and see spectators
4608666711_2a03fdd7a1.jpg

Thanks Saspotato!

I went solo diving in Tygart Lake... 61 degrees... Visibility 2 feet... Saw a lot of mud and rocks... Fixed the leak in my left sleeve, discovered a new leak in my right dry glove.

Is that what you do with a dry suit after you've had the dry suit for a while, repair leaks after every dive?

Thanks Saspotato!

I went solo diving in Tygart Lake... 61 degrees... Visibility 2 feet... Saw a lot of mud and rocks... Fixed the leak in my left sleeve, discovered a new leak in my right dry glove.

Is that what you do with a dry suit after you've had the dry suit for a while, repair leaks after every dive?

:( Well I did about 100 dives with mine with no issues then it had one little leak, took it into a drysuit repairer and they found four??? Got it back still wet so took it back and they found another three??? Was still leaking so I gave up bothering with repairers and held out til summer (which by this point was not far away) It was really hard for me to find time to take it in due to wanting to keep diving (leaky drysuit was better than wetsuit at the time) so this process took about two months (the second time it was in for repair I was diving in 9C in my wetsuit brrrrr) and I was just hating my suit by the end of it.

Took it to a new place for repairs, not exactly sure what he did to it though he did fix the inflator button (he said it barely took any time so did not charge me :shocked2: nice guy) but it's been dry ever since and I love my suit again. :love3:

They are tempremental things :shakehead:

Nice pics Sas, I really like the one of the cuttlefish. I'm envying your fauna... but in a platonic sort of way :)

Nice pics Sas, I really like the one of the cuttlefish. I'm envying your fauna... but in a platonic sort of way :)

:) Yea it was a nice surprise to find this, was near the end of the dive. I swum over the top of it and didn't even realise it was there until it wiggled at me. This pier is like cephalopod heaven though, I usually dive it at night and can pretty much guarantee that there will be blue ring octopuses and usually a cuttlefish or two. The stingray hangs out a lot too and even bit my buddy once when he was practicing linework (luckily he had no mask on and could not tell there was a giant stingray attached to his arm).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom