Where do you keep your snorkel?

Where do you keep your snorkel?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't use my snorkel enough to justify puchasing a folding one (which reportedly suck anyway), and a long hose setup precludes me from keeping it strapped to my head (as if I'd want to do that). But every now and again I find myself kinda wishing I had it on me... so I'm working on rigging up something to keep it securely mounted out of the way but handy, like along the side of my backplate. Would love to know what solutions other like-minded individuals have come up with.
Solutions? I have this big heavy thing strapped to my back. It seems to work. I am scuba diving so I use a tank. When I snorkel, I use a snorkel.

Solutions? I have this big heavy thing strapped to my back. It seems to work. I am scuba diving so I use a tank. When I snorkel, I use a snorkel.
Where do I keep it? In the bottom of my dive bag. Just in case there is a need to go snorkeling between dives...

I use a snorkel on surface swims, as I do some long ones, at times into open ocean.

If I decide it is unadvisable for a particular dive, I just tuck it under the straps of my BFK.

Bob

(In my best shark voice) "I love snorkelers....they remind me of baby seals. Tastey lil morsels they are". Go ahead and snorkel, we be below diving and enjoying the sharks having tasty bites....

I use a snorkel on surface swims, as I do some long ones, at times into open ocean.

If I decide it is unadvisable for a particular dive, I just tuck it under the straps of my BFK.

Bob

To me these are the exact dive conditions where a snorkel is a suitable piece of dive gear.

To those who may not know the term BFK it's a leg mounted large dive knife. Another valuable piece of dive kit depending on the site.

Regards,
Cameron

Pocket snorkel rolled up in right pocket of tech shorts with wet notes and signal mirror.

I keep a snorkel attached to my mask strap because I use it often, for all kinds of trivial reasons. I also like to swim on my back like an otter sometimes. It's all about having fun in the water.

If I have a long surface swim, it is often nice to be able to look down and see what is there without wasting backgas.

I did buy into the hype when I started diving so have one with a purge valve etc. I think going for a foldable would have been a better idea though.

Lost mine in Pensacola a few weeks back (while waiting on the trail line to get back on the boat).

As a relatively new diver, I know I'm supposed to have one and there may be sometime when I might actually need one. However, I haven't used mine yet. There are some relatively nice and surprisingly inexpensive roll up snorkels. So, I bought one of those and keep it in the pocket of my BCD.

Personally, I chose the XS Scuba Cargo snorkel. The reason I chose it is that it rolls up easily WITHOUT a separate case to store it in (would have just been something else for me to lose). It has a self-draining purge valve. And, has a partial enclosure at the top to minimize water splashing into the tube.

Last edited:
My snorkel sat at the bottom of my dive bag for years, unused unless I went snorkeling- which was a rare occurrence. Then in July I was on a boat that was headed to an artificial reef and the DM was asking everyone if they had a snorkel and that we were required to have one. I hoofed it the block back to my hotel room and grabbed my snorkel, because it didn't even make it into my dive bag that day.

When I returned to the boat a few mins later, a different DM handed me a foldable snorkel and told me that the rules stated that all I need was my 'alternative air source' somewhere on me if really didn't want to use one. I decided to use mine and it was handy during the surface swim on the granny line. While I do not plan to have it attached to my mask regularly, I am glad I saved my gas during the surface swim.

I had just switched to a 5' hose before that trip and reading this thread, realize that a snorkel will get in the way if I need to donate my reg. (yup, should have thought of that on my own and this thread illustrates why I find ScubaBoard to be such an invaluable resource)

So...I like the option of one I can stow in my pocket or clip to my back plate if and when I do use it for those particular dives where a surface swim is mandatory. There have been some nice suggestions for which snorkels would be good for this. My questions are:
1) Do people do the surface swim with the snorkel unattached and then stow it?
2) What are some suggested ways to clip the snorkel to my back plate after the surface swim and before descending the line? Or is it just better to stuff it in my pocket on those occasions?

Back
Top Bottom