Where do you keep your snorkel?

Where do you keep your snorkel?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nailed to my garage wall. A snorkel is not a basic component of diving. It has no use at all underwater. A diver with a snorkel isn't a diver, they're a swimmer.
I'm fairly sure most SWAT teams would not enter a building with a pistol instead of a rifle. I'm also pretty sure most would have at least one pistol as back up as well as a knife or two. The ocean can be a hash mistress, it's best to not turn your back on her. A cave or small lake might be different.

I'm fairly sure most SWAT teams would not enter a building with a pistol instead of a rifle. I'm also pretty sure most would have at least one pistol as back up as well as a knife or two. The ocean can be a hash mistress, it's best to not turn your back on her. A cave or small lake might be different.

Pistols and rifles have utility in SWAT operations. Snorkels have no utility in SCUBA diving. As a demonstration of this universal fact, submerge to any depth you like, put your snorkel in your mouth and take a deep breath.

There is no problem a snorkel solves that does not have simpler, better, safer alternatives. There are several problems snorkels introduce that can be solved simply by removing it from your kit.

Pistols and rifles have utility in SWAT operations. Snorkels have no utility in SCUBA diving. As a demonstration of this universal fact, submerge to any depth you like, put your snorkel in your mouth and take a deep breath.

There is no problem a snorkel solves that does not have simpler, better, safer alternatives. There are several problems snorkels introduce that can be solved simply by removing it from your kit.
Sorry likely should not have responded directly instead of putting it the post of where I store mine. It's that whole surface water environment between the under water scuba one and the safe on the boat or land one where it can be vital. If I'm in rough seas with no boat in sight, eventually my reg will run out of gas, the snorkel can help keep the seas out of my lungs.

Sorry likely should not have responded directly instead of putting it the post of where I store mine. It's that whole surface water environment between the under water scuba one and the safe on the boat or land one where it can be vital. If I'm in rough seas with no boat in sight, eventually my reg will run out of gas, the snorkel can help keep the seas out of my lungs.

If I keep this rock close, surely the tigers will not eat me.

If you find yourself in rough seas after having been abandoned by the boat, no snorkel can help you. The list of things you had to do wrong in order to find yourself in such a situation is long and distinguished. However, should you find yourself alone and abandoned, there are simpler, safer solutions, all generally about helping the boat find you. Do you dive with one of these?

Snapshot-2-9-23-2014-6-53-AM.png

Because they are infinitely more useful in that scenario, and do not present any of the problems that a snorkel does.

I definitely appreciate that there are some well thought-out and strong opinions on the matter. I was hoping this thread wouldn't devolve into a debate of "to snorkel, or not to snorkel" in which the loudest shouter outweighs his quieter but equally as well-considered counterparts. Already too many threads like that.

I appreciate those that have shared specifics on unique solutions. I'm zeroing in on attaching my full, non-bendable snorkel to the right side of my Ranger LTD's wing zipper. Just trying to figure what kind of harness to make - snaps? velcro? elastic? Best if I can easily grab & stow with one, potentially gloved, hand.

If I keep this rock close, surely the tigers will not eat me.

If you find yourself in rough seas after having been abandoned by the boat, no snorkel can help you. The list of things you had to do wrong in order to find yourself in such a situation is long and distinguished. However, should you find yourself alone and abandoned, there are simpler, safer solutions, all generally about helping the boat find you. Do you dive with one of these?

View attachment 421543

Because they are infinitely more useful in that scenario, and do not present any of the problems that a snorkel does.
I do dive with a DSMB, two lights, a spool, a whistle, and a mirror. Those are not rough seas.

Sorry OP.

pssst, Michael - I think they're supposed to be orange or yellow... :wink:

upload_2017-8-7_16-7-20.png

pssst, Michael - I think they're supposed to be orange or yellow... :wink:

View attachment 421544
Ssshhhh.. that is Orcee, my secret friend. If I get lost he inflates much more and tows me home. Where did you find his picture? It's classified.

Last edited:
I appreciate those that have shared specifics on unique solutions. I'm zeroing in on attaching my full, non-bendable snorkel to the right side of my Ranger LTD's wing zipper. Just trying to figure what kind of harness to make - snaps? velcro? elastic? Best if I can easily grab & stow with one, potentially gloved, hand.

Yeah, I'm also interested in possible solutions. Although I declared I don't dive with a snorkel I was going to add more to my post but a friend arrived at my house, so I just posted where I got to. I was gonna add that I feel I probably ought to carry a snorkel when diving in less than ideal conditions, just in case, but do not like having one hanging off my mask for various reasons and on balance would rather do without it. I can't think of any other way of carrying one as my BC pockets aren't big enough, even for a foldable snorkel, as far as I'm aware. Every other sensible solution I've thought of seems less than favourable so, for now at least, my snorkel is for snorkelling only.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom