• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Where in Asia should I go diving in May 2020?

Discussion in 'General Asia' started by Skirnir314, Dec 2, 2019.

1. Centrals

Centrals Barangay Pasaway

# of Dives:
    There are a few in shallow water but majority of the wrecks are way beyond OW recommended range.

chillyinCanada likes this.
  2. Dan

Dan Orca

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    Thanks for the post. There was 50% off flash sale on 10-day liveaboard trip from Fakarava to Rangiroa with French Polynesia Master during Black Friday, as shown, here: FYI: Flash Sale for Liveaboards - 50% off. So I grabbed one spot then for May 25 - June 4. :D

jjmochi likes this.
  3. Dan

Dan Orca

Red Snapper spawning in Palau is just incredible sight to see from below. I saw it when I was there in December 2017. A must see phenomenon.

December 24-31, 2017 Palau Trip Report

4. nashwl

nashwl Barracuda

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    Dan, how is it everytime I look at a post you are booking a trip? lol

5. chillyinCanada

chillyinCanada Solo Diver Staff Member

Certainly gives a lie to the conception that the US companies don't offer many vacation days, lol

Trailboss123 likes this.
  6. Dan

Dan Orca

I’m going to retire by end of April. So, I’ll have 6 Saturday’s and a Sunday in every weeks from May to infinity. :D

7. Dan

Dan Orca

Yep, when there’s a good deal and the time and stars are aligned perfectly, you just go for the gusto. :D

Those trips are for celebrating my retirement. I’ll be in Red Sea in 3 days. Then in 2020, I’ll be in Raja Ampat in January, French Polynesia in May, Guadalupe in July, Jupiter in August, Cocos in September, Bahamas in October. For 2021, so far, I have booked Socorro in May and am working on Sangalaki-Kakaban-Maratua in August.

If you are interested in any of those trips, just let me know and I’ll Check if we are still have some open spots, then I’ll send you more detail info. :)

ross9, dirtfarmer and chillyinCanada like this.
  8. Dan

Dan Orca

9. jjmochi

jjmochi Nassau Grouper

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    I am so jealous of your list!

I was thinking of going to Cocos or Socorro to see the schooling hammerheads in 2020 or 2021. Of the two which do you think is better? I was pretty set on Cocos until I read about the tiger shark attack. A friend of mine is going to Socorro next year and I am tempted, would love to play with dolphins again but I heard the hammerheads are not as reliable, and the water is colder. How would you rank Cocos, Socorro, and Banda Sea in terms of hammerheads experience? Much closer for me to fly to Indo but I don't mind travelling longer if the experience is much better- from your trip reports I gather visibility is much better in Cocos?

Do you have spots in either Cocos 2020 or Socorro 2021 trip? Either 1 or 2- but if 1, has to be female share.

10. Dan

Dan Orca

Cocos is the best one for seeing schooling hammerheads. The water is warmer than that of Banda & Socorro. Visibility there is also better than the last Banda visit I did 3 months ago. We also know their cleaning station for close encounter with them. Check this out:

Due to some cancellations we have 1 cabin available and 1 female diver is interested in taking a spot in that cabin. So you might get the cabin to yourself or share with her if she decides to join.

Gathering a group for Cocos with Argo on 10-20 September 2020

I’m not worried about tiger sharks there. As long as we are in a group, be on the lookout for each other’s back and get on the boat right away after you finish safety stop, you’ll be fine. The DM would be last to get on the skiff and he has a poker to scoot any tiger shark coming too close to you.

The last time I was there (September 2018), I did not see any tiger shark. I was so looking forward to see one and a bit disappointed for not seeing it. Hopefully I’ll see one in the next trip in September 2020.

For Socorro 2021, my group is already full for group discount but the boat may still have the upper class cabin available. As far as schooling hammerheads in Socorro, I just saw them in a distance, just like in Banda Sea. So it’s a bit of disappointment.

Scuba Dooby Do likes this.