Where Is Your GF?

What are your typical (approximate) settings for GF lo and GF hi?

• 5/95

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 30/85

Votes: 31 21.4%
  • 50/85

Votes: 48 33.1%
  • 70/85

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • 90/85

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 30/70

Votes: 31 21.4%
  • 50/70

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • 70/70

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • 90/70

Votes: 1 0.7%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I know it can’t hurt. But if someone were to dive 35/75 and then feel the need to add 3 minutes every time, shouldn’t that person really be looking at something like 35/65 instead?

I don't need to add it. When my Seabear is eventually replaced, and I no longer have a computer that prompts for the safety stop, I'll probably quit doing it. It's just my OCD that pushes me to go along with what the computer is asking for. No big deal.

I’m still amazed that SP acquired then demolished that company. Breathtaking corporate stupidity and mismanagement.

I talked to our SP rep 3 weeks ago. He said that SP is still working on releasing their version of the H3. He said he's expecting it to finally come out around the first of '19. I am skeptical (about the release), but it seems hard to imagine that he would have info that they are still working on it if they, in fact, are not. No longer matters to me. I'm over it. I am sure if they ever do release it, it will use the SP transmitter for AI (or have no AI). In which case, I wouldn't even consider it.

I don't need to add it. When my Seabear is eventually replaced, and I no longer have a computer that prompts for the safety stop, I'll probably quit doing it. It's just my OCD that pushes me to go along with what the computer is asking for. No big deal.
Apologies. I didn’t make it clear that I was not referring to you. I was referring to my tech instructor who taught me to dive on 35/75 PLUS 3 minutes. Oh, and my tech instructor is really a tech instructor trainer.

Surely the logical thing to do is to plan the dive on 35/75, look at the deco times then adjust the planned GF until there are 3 additional minutes of deco in order to figure the effective GF that 35/75 plus 3 minutes equates to - then start diving the adjusted GF instead of 35/75 plus 3 minutes.

Apologies. I didn’t make it clear that I was not referring to you. I was referring to my tech instructor who taught me to dive on 35/75 PLUS 3 minutes. Oh, and my tech instructor is really a tech instructor trainer.

Surely the logical thing to do is to plan the dive on 35/75, look at the deco times then adjust the planned GF until there are 3 additional minutes of deco in order to figure the effective GF that 35/75 plus 3 minutes equates to - then start diving the adjusted GF instead of 35/75 plus 3 minutes.

Gotcha. No worries at all!

Regarding what your instructor said, my thought is this: 35/75 + 3 vs (just for a made-up example) 35/65 may give you the same total run-time or the same final surfacing GF (however you actually calculate it to come up with the equivalency). But, it's a different shape to the ascent profile. I feel like your instructor's comment carries an implication that it's the same difference, either way, and it's not. One gets you shallower quicker and then stays longer shallow. The other keeps you deeper longer. The difference is pretty slight, but it is a difference.

I talked to our SP rep 3 weeks ago. He said that SP is still working on releasing their version of the H3. He said he's expecting it to finally come out around the first of '19. I am skeptical (about the release), but it seems hard to imagine that he would have info that they are still working on it if they, in fact, are not. No longer matters to me. I'm over it. I am sure if they ever do release it, it will use the SP transmitter for AI (or have no AI). In which case, I wouldn't even consider it.
Just get a Teric :stirpot:

Regarding what your instructor said, my thought is this: 35/75 + 3 vs (just for a made-up example) 35/65 may give you the same total run-time or the same final surfacing GF (however you actually calculate it to come up with the equivalency). But, it's a different shape to the ascent profile. I feel like your instructor's comment carries an implication that it's the same difference, either way, and it's not. One gets you shallower quicker and then stays longer shallow. The other keeps you deeper longer. The difference is pretty slight, but it is a difference.
Yes, there could be a slight difference.

SP computers just aren’t up to snuff. I wonder how they’ll bugger up the H3 and make it terrible.

40/85

(Shearwater in OC Rec mode - did my first few dives with it set to 45/95 but figured at 50yo that’s probably not the most sensible thing, especially as I then went and did a 2 week dive holiday).

40/85

(Shearwater in OC Rec mode - did my first few dives with it set to 45/95 but figured at 50yo that’s probably not the most sensible thing, especially as I then went and did a 2 week dive holiday).

Well if you're 50 and are diving medium conservatism, what do I do at almost 70 with a broken back? :) :rofl3:

Cheers -

Dunno,anybody know the GF defaults on a EDGE ?

I dive that or a skinny dipper to 180 - 190' for shorter dives (RT<30 ) and VPM -A 0 conservatism on an old Windows hard drive in an enclosure for the few mix dives I do anymore.YMMV

Back
Top Bottom