where to buy equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

the best thing to do is support your LDS I would like to see you get your tank filled on ebay or at scuba.com or liesure pro. Air& nitrox is the one thing that you have got to have to dive you may think that your filling the pockets of the shop owner buy paying a higher price but unless you have been there you don't really know the profit margin I payed $20,000.00 for my Air compressor to maintain do the air tests buy the 02 change the filters and pay the electric @ $5.00 air & $12.00 nitrox I will never break even on the cost of the compressor never be paid for the labor and with out it I really have no shop classes dont keep the doors open only retail sales do. Hey what do I know I only live it every day and I dont know any rich dive shop owners if you do they won"t be that way long:D

Thanks, everybody. I think I'll just keep shopping. If the LDS can come reasonably close to the price, I had much rather support them (especially on regs). However, if it is ridiculously overpriced, I may pick out a package online and figure a way to get my equipment serviced.

If you buy your regs online, where do you get it serviced?

You can get them serviced by any recognized dealer or service center. Usually if they sell the product, they can do service on it. You also don't need to buy your reg from your LDS for them to do service on it. But they might give you a break on labor if you do.

You can get them serviced by any recognized dealer or service center. Usually if they sell the product, they can do service on it. You also don't need to buy your reg from your LDS for them to do service on it. But they might give you a break on labor if you do.

Not always true. Some shops refuse to service on-line items. While I might not agree with their policy, I agree it is their right to have that policy. Warranty repairs can also be an issue (grey market goods usually lack a USA warranty) although some on-line retailers offer their own warranty and service.

I have bought a stuff from Leisure Pro, but I have also bought a good amount of stuff from Divers Supply. For me Divers Supply isnt an online store, its a store I go to in person in either Macon GA or Jacksonville FL. SCUBA.com is also a good place to buy from. Both Leisure Pro and Scuba.com have excellent return policies (I dont know about Divers Supply, I assume they do online, they do in the store, I have just never used them).
As far as do I buy from a LDS/in person or online, it depends on the item. If I want advice, or if I want to try something on, I will usually buy from a LDS. If I know what I want and can save some money online, I will do that.

I still get lots of little things, last minute things at the LDS. More substantial purchases, I'll try finding either online or used (even regs). However, things like regs, I automatically calculate cost of having them serviced right away. If an item saves me $100 used but costs $65 to service, then $35 savings over new may not be worth it....I'll just buy new. I've bought my harness, backplates, wings, tanks, regs, computers all used (some online, some locally). Drysuit, wetsuit, fins, mask, etc was at the LDS. Just really depends on how fast, how bad and how much I want something, I guess.

Essentially, you're on the right track. If you save 40% or more buying used AFTER servicing (if necessary), I'd go that route.

the best thing to do is support your LDS I would like to see you get your tank filled on ebay or at scuba.com or liesure pro. Air& nitrox is the one thing that you have got to have to dive you may think that your filling the pockets of the shop owner buy paying a higher price but unless you have been there you don't really know the profit margin I payed $20,000.00 for my Air compressor to maintain do the air tests buy the 02 change the filters and pay the electric @ $5.00 air & $12.00 nitrox I will never break even on the cost of the compressor never be paid for the labor and with out it I really have no shop classes dont keep the doors open only retail sales do. Hey what do I know I only live it every day and I dont know any rich dive shop owners if you do they won"t be that way long:D

I understand your point, but the money is not so elastic. If I see a BCD in an on-line shop for $ 100 less than the price listed in the LDS, those $ 100 means a 2 tank dive with the same BCD with the LDS boat.
I don´t know the economic equation of the LDS, but I do know my economic equation.

Scubatoys has been awesome for me....made me a great package deal on a bc and reg setup....As for getting the right size on the BC, they had someone in the store that was about my size and him try on the bc.

All the talk about online, support your LDS, etc....blah. Many online retailers ARE an LDS. It just may not be L to me but it's still a DS somewhere. If you buy online from scubatoys.com, that is a dive shop!! So why can they afford to sell cheaper INCL SHIPPING than my LDS? Volume? Okay. So let more dive shops start online retailing and make online so competitive that I am motivated to just buy everything locally.

Sorry...but my LDS won't give a damn if I can't afford to have regs serviced and therefore can't dive. So why would I care if they lose money by me going online? For those that argue that their LDS would hook them up, then that's a friend, not just the LDS. I don't have any "friends" at the LDS, nor am I trying to get any just to get the hook up.

No one said diving was a cheap hobby, but buying online can alleviate this burden, and with little risk. Size-wise most of our equipment has a size chart as provided from the manufacturer, if you do your research you shouldn't have a problem. Worst case you don't get the right size you send it back for free with our size guarantee. On top of that you have 60 days to return for a full refund if you aren't happy. We are authorized dealers for almost all of our products, so you should be able to have it serviced locally, otherwise we have our own equal or superior warrenty for all of our products. And unless you are lacking human companionship I am content getting all my advice here on SB.

Buying online doesn't provide the instant gratification most of us crave but your wallet will thank you.

Back
Top Bottom