Where to carry a finger reel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Awesome... thank you all so much. The pictures really help too. I did exactly that and I've been trying my best to make it unravel with no luck (which is a good thing). But at the same time it seems easy enough to use.

+1 Butt D-ring.

If carried/secured with a double-ender, it needs to be part of your pre-dive check. The double-ender can work itself open and unravel the spool behind you. If you dive in circumstances where that is a potential risk, rather than an annoyance, then you need a more sophisticated method of securing the spool.

For example:

Narc'ed Diving: Finger Spool: Securing the Line

P1250082.JPG
P1250083.JPG

That's a neat method. But I wonder: if the double ender comes open and the end of the line slips through, wouldn't it just all come apart too, with the spool falling off?

That's a neat method. But I wonder: if the double ender comes open and the end of the line slips through, wouldn't it just all come apart too, with the spool falling off?

I can only tell you that in 100+ dives over the last year the first technique failed on me 3-4 times and the second 0.

The double-ender 'shouldn't' come open with the second method.

Putting the double-ender through one of the holes in the spool creates a situation where it can (just try it...give it a wiggle and see how quickly...). Facing the bolt-snap outwards reduced that likelihood, but it still happens too frequently.

First method I have used a few times and it kept unravelling on me. Once it happened coming to shore and it got quite tangled around me while I was climbing onto the the rocks with waves around me helping to tangle the line further. I will definitely try the second method now.

Incidentally, my finger spool line was quite long when I bought it. When I re-wound it the first time, of course it wasn't as neat as how it was done at the factory so it was more bulky within the spool. This was the main reason the line would come un-done as it would just slip off the side of the spool. I had to trim a significant length off the line to make it fit within the spool edges.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom