Where to find support for BP/W newbie

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

parheric

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Ok, i'm recently qualified as OW but LDS absolutely shot down the whole BP/W thing as Tek garbage, "why bother - if its so good, why doesn't everyone else do it". Now I've read up, and its my decision and thats fine cause its a personal opinion for everyone (if you like blue and i like black, then good on both of us) - SO, i'm not asking for arguments for/against - pending some dives in BP/W i think i've made my mind up :)

Thing is, I am inexperienced, and want to gain more experience but am reluctant to go straight BP/W since there isn't anyone who dives with LDS that looks accomodating enough (or experienced enough) to guide me through.

I'm confident that once I give BP/W a shot, that I'll love it (majority have said how they feel better trim/balance/boyancy in water compared to regular BCD).

What are some options to finding dive buddies who are able to help/guide/assist/train me along in my pursuit of BP/W and the long hose? (Brisbane City, QLD).

parheric:
What are some options to finding dive buddies who are able to help/guide/assist/train me along in my pursuit of BP/W and the long hose? (Brisbane City, QLD).

If that's the way you want to go, you might want to consider taking the Fundies some time down the road. You might be getting some reply soon from other members who might happen to be around your area.

Good luck and enjoy!!!

try to find the fairly local tech shop. actually, you're trying to hook up with the fairly local tech divers somehow. does your area have people who do deep, or overheads, or any other type of techie stuff? can you look for trimix or cave or fundies or other tech instructors? if you find the local tech divers, hopefully you'll find your mentor!

Australia has a number of good cave divers. I've met a very good one, but he's in the US for a while. I would suggest you try to hook up with some of them, as I am sure they will be sympathetic to your plight, and can help you in the right direction.

Start here:

http://www.cavedivers.com.au/

This might also be helpful:

http://www.halcyondive.com.au/Dealersqld.htm

Best of luck.

parheric:
I'm confident that once I give BP/W a shot, that I'll love it (majority have said how they feel better trim/balance/boyancy in water compared to regular BCD).

I am not familiar with the dive community in Brisbane but I can give a few references in Sydney. Dive Centre Bondi offers DIR-F and Tech classes. Also, Southern Cross divers in Mosman specializes in deep wreck diving. Unless you are taking a class you aren't even allowed on the boat unless you are deco certified. SX is the the leading rebreather center in Australia.

Google those two, I know they both have web sites. I just found SX: http://www.southerncrossdivers.com.au/

They should be able to give you some local references.

-Jon

Yeh, I'm not going to do Tek diving, i just want to see how I go with a setup that is commonly associated with tek diving (even thou, its becoming common in some rec diving)

I say this as a fairly new diver with less than 50 dives in my log but I would strongly recommend going for the BP/W set up. While it is percieved by many as a tech only rig it is much more. I'm diving an OMS deluxe harness (not the comfort harness that is like a standard BC) with a 32 lbs wing and I love it. It's incredibly comfortable, it holds your tank rock solid, and its nice, simple and straight forward. There's no squeeze when you inflate the wing and contrary to popular (ill informed) opinion it doesn't automatically pitch you over face first at the surface.

A BP/W is a rig that no matter what kind of diving you get into you won't outgrow it. If you want to dive doubles you just buy a doubles wing and get the right training. If you want to just dive a single tank for the rest of your diving career it works perfectly for that too.

Go for the BP/W, you won't regret it.

I started diving a BP/W earlier this year and found that I was much better streamlined and trimmed out better from the beginning.

I dive a DSS Single Tank Rig with hog harness and love it.

Follow the links on setup that others have posted, or get the Dress for Success book from GUE to get started with your rig.

Kelsey

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom