Where to go and do for three weeks in SE Asia in November?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Vigfus

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hiya guys,

We thought we were going west this year, but after stumbling upon a dirt cheap flight to Singapore from Sweden this November we're heading east again - YAAY :D. We have three weeks and one of them is almost set in stone for Sulawesi and UW photography. But for the other two weeks, one diving and one non-diving, we would like to hear what you recommend.

We have done Bali, Sipadan, Perhentian and Tioman in the region so it would be fun to boldly go where no man (of us two at least) has gone before. All ideas, diving and non-diving are welcome. Budget is roughly around USD150/day. Preferably a route like a necklace or an ellipse (you get the picture) with Sulawesi in the first or last week since that would cut down on the travel time.

Non-diving activities can be anything. Surfing, trekking, sun bathing. You name it. No suggestion is too exhausting or too lazy for that matter.
For diving UW macro photography is what we really like, but we won't mind being forced to remove the macro lenses for a couple of coral, fish or FISH dives :eyebrow:

Best Regards,
Vigfus

Together with diving Sulawesi and still in Sulawesi: the Toraja country (with splendid landscape, traditional culture, and rafting) could be a idea for the land part.
For another week diving the choice could be Komodo or Ambon (Komodo is best on live aboard or safari boat, Ambon has fine resorts and reputed macro life ), only problem : the connecting flights might be not too easy to organize in order to minimize transit nights.
Hopefully some helpful info...

You haven't been to the best kept secret in Asia - The Philippines. World class diving, world class surfing and the friendliest people you can meet.

You could do worse then spending some time in Malapascua in The Visayan region (near Cebu City) diving with Thresher Sharks - not something you can do anywhere else on the planet. Then maybe hit Siargo for some wave action. Palawan for incredible scenery. The Philippines is 'off the beaten track' - no hordes of backpackers here. And the language of commerce is English so its really easy to navigate and make friends with the locals.

You can fly to Cebu for example with Silk Air or Cebu pacific from Singapore. If you want more info let me know!

You haven't been to the best kept secret in Asia - The Philippines. World class diving, world class surfing and the friendliest people you can meet.
We did Anilao and PG in the Philippines last year and it was really nice - especially Anilao. I didn't include Philippines in the region since the return ticket is to Singapore so we don't want to go too far from Singapore to minimize travel time as much as possible. When I posted I didn't know you could actually reach Cebu in under 4h from Singapore and that's why I left it out, but we have decided our next trip to the Philippines will have to wait a few years. Thanks for the suggestion though!

Together with diving Sulawesi and still in Sulawesi: the Toraja country (with splendid landscape, traditional culture, and rafting) could be a idea for the land part.
For another week diving the choice could be Komodo or Ambon (Komodo is best on live aboard or safari boat, Ambon has fine resorts and reputed macro life ), only problem : the connecting flights might be not too easy to organize in order to minimize transit nights.
Hopefully some helpful info...
Thanks mate! Definately helpful info. I'll look into both Toraja and Komodo/Ambon though I'm afraid a live aboard might be too expensive for us.

November--that's the beginning of the high season on the Andaman Sea with liveaboard trips to the Similans and Surins national parks. Easy flights from S'pore. However, that's not our typical season for "big stuff," which usually comes later in the season with the plankton growth that occurs more towards late winter and early spring. Still, it's a good option and not far from S'pore.

Indonesia options would include Bali (though it's the rainy season there then) and Manado/environs, both with short flights to get you there.

You could also go to the Sipadan area of Malysian Borneo, and since November is low season there, you will find less competition for the coveted daily permits to Sipadan itself, where the pelagics are found. It does take quite a lot of travel time to get to since it involves flight + overland transfer + boat transfer, so you can lose an entire day to travel just trying to get in or out.

Thanks Quero! I'll make sure to look up the eastern parts of Borneo as well. Even though my mate already has done Sipadan there should be other good spots along the coast.

I just got back from a combined trip of Lembeh and Bali and thought they worked quite well together for macro photography. Lembeh, of course is a must do for macro lovers and Bali, Tulamben, Saraya, offered lots of different Nudis and Moray cleaning stations that Lembeh did not. Bali has lots of Ghost Pipefish in these areas. I saw 4 or 5 every dive. I did not make it to Secret Bay, which is supposed to be excellent for Seahorses Frogfish and Dragonets. Of course Bali offers lots of stuff to do as well. I preferred the less crowded/touristy areas. My favorite part was trekking around Munduk in the Central Mountains. But I guess you want something more remote.

I do have to say that if I had a bit more money to spend on my trip I would have made the jump over to Alor for supposed excellent macro they have there. When I talked to a couple of UW photogs while staying in Munduk,they had me convinced that ALOR was the place to be.

Northern Raja Ampat is very nice and Ambon/Banda Islands can be done at thattime of year I believe. I think a good, no, a GREAT trip would be Lembeh, Raja Ampat, Ambon. Ambon/Banda Islands is still on my bucket list.

Last edited:
Lembeh/Bunakan combo is a must do. For budget stay at NAD or Two Fish in Lembeh, and you can stay at Two Fish or Living Colors (sleep at Lorenzo II) in Bunakan -just ask at living colors. You can travel from on to the other in about 1/2 a day.

The Philippines is also a great location. For remote and beautiful, try Apo Island Liberty Lodge, for wrecks try Discovery Divers in Coron - not sure the cost of their new puerto del sol resort but it's spectacular.

Have fun!

Back
Top Bottom