Where to go and do for three weeks in SE Asia in November?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for your suggestion Magrone!

Where did you stay when you dove Lembeh if I may ask, and was it to your satisfaction?
By looking at Zubi's excellent map map of dive sites in Lembeh Strait in Northern Sulawesi (Zubi) Print version - are there any particular sites that you would rank higher than the other ones you did?
We have stayed 3x at KBR in Lembeh . It is a GREAT resort with excellent service. Their dive operations are run by Kaj Maney and it is a smooth operation IMHO. Check out Kaj's blog to see all of the cool critters they have been seeing. If you are leaning towards the Philippines then i agree with Kathydee about Apo Island! We loved the diving there! Have fun!

Thanks for your suggestion Magrone!

Where did you stay when you dove Lembeh if I may ask, and was it to your satisfaction?
By looking at Zubi's excellent map map of dive sites in Lembeh Strait in Northern Sulawesi (Zubi) Print version - are there any particular sites that you would rank higher than the other ones you did?

I stayed with NAD Lembeh and they were FANTASTIC for a budget option. The best deal in Lembeh for UW photographers. You get more for what you pay than Two Fish. Cost wise this is probably my favorite place to dive that I have been. When I go back I will have no hesitation about staying there again. I loved the staff and the place is really quite cozy. My favorite sites were without a doubt Air Bajo 1+2 and Nudi Falls. Kept coming back to these sites because there was never a dull moment on the dive. Nudi Falls is directly across from NAD so boat time is like 5 minutes. Nudi Retreat was also a good site. Sites here change all the time but your guides should know what is good for the time being. All you have to do is ask to see something and your guides will know where to take you. They have a pretty good house reef at NAD (spotted a Wonderpuss on the first dive there) but the vis is really low. I did not see any Blue Rings or Rhinopias in Lembeh this time though, suppose it's a seasonal thing.

Living Colors (sleep at Lorenzo II) in Bunakan -just ask at living colors.

I just wanted to clarify - Living Colors is a well maintained shop with good guides that is owned by a Scandinavian couple. A budget option exists by sleep in the basic bungalows which are just next door which are owned by the Indonesia partner Lorenzo II. Living Colors should be able to arrange either option. But Living Colors may work with your budget.

Last edited:
Thanks Kathy, Jake and Magrone! Much appreciated info!

At the moment we're leaning toward 10-12 days diving NE Sulawesi. Some 7-8 days at Lembeh and 3-4 days for Bunaken or Bangka. Both seem like good places. Which one of Bunaken and Bangka would you prefer?

We have been to Bunaken and Bangka as well. We did some dives at Bangka while on a liveaboard in the area. I thought it was nice but my dive log does not have anything extraordinary to say. That could be because we were only in the area for a few dives. I have had friends go there and love it!!! Check out Gangaa divers there.( expensive but they loved it!) We dove with Tasik Divers from Tasik Ria resort for Bunaken. If you go there request Noldy as your dive master. We loved him! We had a great time diving with them and thought the diving was pretty good at Bunaken. If you stay at the resort request one of the new rooms with a beach view. Our room was kind of old and tired and the AC went out a LOT!! Nothing like waking up at 3am in a sweat! Your combo Lembeh/Bunaken or Bangka trip will be awesome! We loved ours last September!!

Keep in mind Lembeh doesn't offer beautiful diving. Much of it is gray sand with about 30-40ft vis. It's an amazing destination if you like to photograph exotic critters and love species ID.

Many of the critters are tiny (1/4 inch) so your focus tends to become a bit obsessive ;-). That being said, the critters are extraordinary and fascinating. You can night dive independently with a buddy behind NAD.

For blue water and pretty coral head to Bunakan. The evening snorkeling along the shore behind Living Colors is spectacular.

I've traveled to Lembeh/Bunakan twice. After 9-12 dives at Lembeh - I find myself craving blue water and pretty coral but YMMV.

Have fun!

Thanks for the tip and suggestions Caloy, Jake and Kathy!

I really enjoyed Secret bay and the NW harbour (forgot the name) in Anilao, which both had poor vis when we were there last year, but then we didn't do them non stop so we might find ourselves craving some blue water as well after awhile :wink:

Vigfus - we too found an incredible price on a flight from the U.S. to Indonesia aboard Singapore Airlines, so we decided to "take the plunge". We want to make the most of our time in the area, so we booked a total of 17 nights with Two Fish Divers and will be spending 10 nights at their resort in Lembeh followed by seven nights at their resort on Bunaken Island.

Two Fish Divers offers day trips to Bangka Island and Gangga Island, so during our time in Lembeh we will be diving three days in the Bangka/Gangga area as well as six days in the Strait...photographic opportunities abound there! After that we'll be diving five days at Bunaken to finish off the trip.

Our understanding is that this is an area of great bio-diversity. Bangka/Gangga area is known for amazing soft corals, so we feel that we'll get to sample three very different experiences within our 2 1/2 week time frame...even though we'll be making a very easy connection into and out of Manado and will even be picked up and returned to the airport by Two Fish staff. Who could ask for anything more?

Hopefully the trip will be as phenomenal as we expect...I'll be sure to post a trip report :D

My buddy and I prefer Bunaken over Lembeh.
Lembeh(Two Fish) does have a lot of those weird critters on black/grey featureless sandy bottom. None of us are photographers so we were both bored stiffness.
Bunaken(Sulawesi Dive Quest) is completely different from Lembeh.
Never been to Bangga Island
So you have 3 diving destinations to explore.
Have fun.

Back
Top Bottom