Where to go next?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LimitedSlip7

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Looking for some advice on where to go next! I was planning on going somewhere end of April but now the GF has some time off at the end of March so I've got to plan this quick.

We are new divers that would be flying out of Ohio (Columbus or Cleveland). I got my OW in Roatan and went to Cozumel in April last year. Finally was able to talk the GF into getting her OW in the summer and then we went back to Cozumel in Sept. She liked the diving but not so much the current (it was definitely ripping most of the time our 2nd trip). I've got about 50 dives in now and she has about 20.

Any ideas on inexpensive (I understand it's going to be hard to find a better deal for the diving than Coz) destinations? We would be going for about a week, 8-9 days max. I'd like a mix of boat/shore diving. She doesn't like diving all day every day like I do, so maybe a place with some stuff to do/see topside. I prefer more laid-back locals, we aren't really big into partying late into the night. I'm thinking Bonaire? Maybe Curacao? Any other ideas?

Others can perhaps chime in about budget accommodations and so on, but the nice thing about Bonaire is that many of the boat dives can be done from shore just as easily. If she doesn't want to do all the dives, and assuming you can find a buddy, she could do beach stuff while you dive.

Others can perhaps chime in about budget accommodations and so on, but the nice thing about Bonaire is that many of the boat dives can be done from shore just as easily. If she doesn't want to do all the dives, and assuming you can find a buddy, she could do beach stuff while you dive.

Well, I was wanting to do some East side and Klein boat dives if we go to Bonaire. Only boat dives at sites I can't shore dive or are more difficult to shore dive.

Any recommendations for alternative destinations that might fit the bill?

After reading the Curacao reports on here from the Scubaboard trip, that looks really nice. Not sure if the Sunscape resort has any openings for your week, but that is all inclusive and it looked great for divers and non-divers (or part time divers!)

Flights might be expensive though (probably $1,000+)

I'd like a mix of boat/shore diving. She doesn't like diving all day every day like I do, so maybe a place with some stuff to do/see topside.

As if often the case with want lists (which are good things we need to advise you), prioritize and figure out what you're willing to let go.

Caribbean shore diving options are a fairly limited set.

1.) Bonaire perhaps the easiest with a west coast-hugging road, a lot of sites one after the other and not a lot of dense civilization getting in the way. Warm water, low current, good viz., when I was last there (2014) still nice reefs and a good amount of smaller creatures - not a lot of big (green morays, tarpon, cubera snapper and occasional tiger grouper, sea turtles). Not a lot of sandy beach; Sand Dollar Condo.s and an adjacent property have some. Airfare often expensive. Topside could entertain someone not high-maintenance for a week - drive through the park up north, donkey sanctuary, maybe wind surf at Jibe City or kite board if you're athletic. If you don't need waterfront, back in 2012 I stayed at Dive Hut for a budget option. You might want a bigger room than I picked, to co-habitate with a woman for a week. Just say'n...

2.) Curacao - did boat diving there; airfare similar but often a bit cheaper, the capital is much larger/more 'up-built' looking, more topside (e.g.: dolphin encounters), there are nice sandy beaches. My research notes on Curacao.

3.) Grand Cayman. 7 Mile Beach gets a lot of attention if you like beach; Comfort Suites and Sunshine Suites are the two places mentioned as better on the budget. Sunset House had some good specials (not a sandy beach location IIRC). @KathyV has posted about Turtle Nest Inn package deals that looked great, if you're willing to stay in the Boddentown area a bit farther from the action. Driving on the left, and Georgetown can get hectic I'm told.

4.) St. Croix - my research notes. The shore diving is more an optional extra than the main event. Perhaps the 'Christmas winds' will have passed by then. Long story short, I enjoyed it, but it may not be your best option right now. I'd give the first 3 locations the nod on viz. and reef, though St. Croix has strong charms of its own and I'm glad I went. That pier is something special.

5.) CocoView Resort, Roatan. Shore diving in the house reef, large and had a wreck. Haven't got to try that yet. May book well in advance.

If you're willing to ditch the shore diving, I've noticed Turquoise Bay Resort, Roatan is a popular choice with dive trip organizers in my area, with good budget but consistently good reviews. Not sure how much there is to do topside.

Richard.

What about La Paz? The GF (and myself) has always wanted to go diving with sea lions...

The end of March will be difficult especially at short notice, because it is the high season for Spring Break/Easter. Not only is it an expensive time of year, but a lot of places have been booked up well in advance and so you may have trouble finding availability.

I totally understand your GF's reservations about Cozumel. It's a wonderful dive destination and some divers (like my husband) take to drift diving easily and immediately love it while others (like me!) have a hard time learning to adjust to the current and maintain buoyancy and control. I finally got the hang of it and we have done many drift-diving trips including liveaboards, but it still isn't my favorite type of diving. I am always surprised when someone recommends Cozumel as the perfect place for a new diver, because it wasn't perfect for me when I was starting out - but everybody is different.

Florida offers a lot of what you are looking for, but the water is cold at that time of year IMO, and the same goes for the Bahamas. We went to Nassau in March once and I was freezing all the time while diving, never again! The further south you go the warmer the water, so Curacao may be a good choice. There are more topside activities on Curacao than Bonaire and you can do both boat and shore diving.

St. Croix might be a good option, there is a nice balance of tourist activities and boat diving and the Fredricksted Pier is a fabulous shore dive; I could dive the pier many times over and never see it all.

Grand Cayman offers lots of topside activities, and both boat and shore diving - but it may be a bit too expensive for your budget at that time of year, and it could also be difficult to find availability.

Shore diving is fun and it is a great way to save money, and it also allows you to adjust your diving schedule to accommodate the needs of travel companions, but some destinations (including the Caymans) do not allow solo diving so your shore diving opportunities may be limited - but since you are a new diver - maybe you wouldn't be interested in diving alone anyway? If you stay at a dive resort that offers onsite shore diving, it might be easier to buddy up with others staying at the same place.

Some places to consider on Grand Cayman include Cobalt Coast, it's all-inclusive so you will know what you are paying upfront and they have an onsite dive op and a house reef for shore diving. There's a lot of great places to eat on GC, but an all-inclusive might be a good way to control costs. If you took their cheaper package that only includes breakfast and dinner, you and your GF could spend some time in the afternoon exploring and sampling other food venues. Cobalt Coast is not far from the Seven Mile Beach and George Town but it is remote and it would be best to rent a car to explore the island. The CC shore diving can get winded out in the winter, but I think that late March may be okay - but you should investigate that.

Sunset House has breakfast included and both boat and shore diving onsite, and it's not far from George Town and there are 2 restaurants onsite. You could get by without a car but you'd probably need one for a few days to explore the island or visit the 7MB area.

The Grand Caymanian Holiday Inn has Divetech as the onsite dive op. They do not have a house reef for shore diving, but they will transport you to their Lighthouse Point property to shore dive or board the boats. The HI is not too far from 7MB and GT, but you would do best to rent a car.

There are lots of dive ops that service divers on GC and many will pick you up if you are staying on 7MB, and you can find inexpensive and convenient shore diving available at several locations on GC, but you will need a car and a dive buddy. Car rentals are usually pretty reasonable on GC but you'd be smart to reserve one in advance since you will be visiting during the high season.

It's cheaper if you stay in less developed areas away from 7MB and GT, but then you will need a car and you must be willing to travel to both the dive boats and many restaurants and entertainments. If you stay on the East End at Compass Point, Morritts, or Wyndham Reef, you can find good diving but you will be 45 minutes to an hour's drive from many restaurants and entertainments.

Like @drrich2 says, there are places that might work for you, but maybe none of them will be absolutely perfect so you need to figure out what you like most, what you can afford, and where you can find availability at short notice, good luck!

I recommend you take a look at Bayahibe. It is a small fishing village on the south Caribbean coast of the Dominican Republic.
Bayahibe a small paradise in Caribbean, on the south coast of Dominican republic There are reef dives, wall dives, wreck dives and even a cave dive if you are so certified. Most of the dives sites are only about a 10 to 15 minute boat ride away and most of them are less than 70 feet deep. On one 20 foot reef dive, I saw 3 or 4 spotted rays, 2 or 3 eels, a couple of puffer fish, 6 or 7 lobsters. There are a couple of 1800's wrecks that still have the canons, anchors, some pottery, and muskets still in the racks. There are 2 modern wrecks,one is a 250 ft. freighter that is deep and one at about 30 ft. I always dive with John from ScubaFun | Dive Center Bayahibe He has a small local dive shop in Bayahibe.

Back
Top Bottom