Where to rent an underwater camera in Cozumel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

SB is all about helping each other politely. No shooting first, no shooting second: no shooting at all :) Except, that is, underwater, with a camera!

Last edited:
This was on MythBusters... the bulls were like ballerinas - nothing broken!
Housebroken bulls are not typical. If they'd used range bulls, the outcome would have been dramatic - but not as entertaining for the show's mission I guess. I could tell some stories...

So anyway, Ginger got a lot of warnings early on here rather than asking how experienced they were diving. I can see both side of the confusion. I have a dive record that says I should be okay but following my camera has caused me some problems, like my 50 ft CESA. :eek:

Ginger, if you find one - you'll need a quick course in O-ring cleaning & lubing with silicone grease, unless its a Sealife that does not require lube but still requires a clean O-ring & slot, well seated & closed, and more. Batteries are always a challenge, and so very many cameras are lost at sea. Shooting a view fun pics yourself of your dives is rewarding as long as you don't let it get you into problems. I presume you will take your own cards and download to your own computer. IrfanView is a nifty, free photo program that really pulls out dive pics well with its auto fix function.

Have a good trip... :pilot:

And shoot all pictures in RAW mode if the camera has it. You can fix anything just about if you shoot in RAW. If you shoot in .jpg - you are hosed.

Cameras without a flash will perform best in shallow water like 25' or less. Not many spots that shallow in Coz. Otherwise you need a strobe or you loose all the red. Photography takes practice and a bunch of equipment. :D

Good Luck

unless its a Sealife that does not require lube but still requires a clean O-ring & slot, well seated & closed, and more.

Seriously? I wasn't supposed to lube the O-ring? Is that in the manual? I ask as I never read it.....

I did once lose it. I think it was AOW. I think the wife had it and wanted rid of it for whatever we were doing. We had landed in the sand for buoyancy stuff maybe? We had a coil with a dog clip on the end and the magnets to keep it close to the body when not in use. I carefully felt it hook to my D ring. I gave it several FIRM tugs to assure it was on there and left it hang. It was a little negative and started to float. What I didn't realize was that the little rod that come up to close the opening in the clip had sand or salt or something in it and didn't close. So it unhooked and started for the boat without me. I never saw it go. My DM saw and grabbed it about 20 feet up and returned it to me. She then hooked it to me.

another option is to rent a gopro and get still shots out of the film

Cameras without a flash will perform best in shallow water like 25' or less. Not many spots that shallow in Coz. Otherwise you need a strobe or you loose all the red. Photography takes practice and a bunch of equipment. :D

Good Luck

The missus still uses a Canon point and shoot in a box. With cameras own flash, it will take some nice shots close up, I think. The canon is also VERY easy to white balance which helps. You can spend ALOT to increase your capabilities, but you can say that about any past time. Unless you are a photog to begin with, I still recommend going cheap and trying it out.

We did get ALOT of blue shots early on, esp before I figure out the white balance thing and getting close, but even so, occasionally we found an acorn. This is one of my favorites from maybe our second trip. I sure a real photog does better and more often, but I liked it. Just a Canon SD1100 in a box:

Coz 062009 Mike (591).jpg

Ginger may have snapped a little, and I KNOW Christi meant to be helpful, but it did sound condescending to me. I can understand her being a little put off by it. I know Christi didn't mean it that way. Maybe it is a PA thing... I bought a case for my Canon and took it to my pool sessions in OW. I took picture on my OW dives. I brought it with me to Cozumel for my first dives after open water. Been diving with a camera ever since. It isn't one of those giant arrays, but I did get a strobe. I have seen a few newbie divers who would be better served by carrying a camera rather than failing their arm around all the time.

Ginger forgive Christi, she really did just mean to be helpful.... The rest of you don't wipe the floor with Ginger because she objected to the tone. She is from Philly and knows to SHOOT first. :)
Ginger... snapped... Good one. :D

Strobes can help a lot, used properly - not overflashing, etc. On my last trip, I failed to take the right link for mine tho, so shot with built in flash, then edited with Irfanview - and worked ok. Ron is an experienced photographer. I would not suggest a strobe to a new shooter really.

Seriously? I wasn't supposed to lube the O-ring? Is that in the manual? I ask as I never read it.....
Correct!

I did once lose it. I think it was AOW. I think the wife had it and wanted rid of it for whatever we were doing. We had landed in the sand for buoyancy stuff maybe? We had a coil with a dog clip on the end and the magnets to keep it close to the body when not in use. I carefully felt it hook to my D ring. I gave it several FIRM tugs to assure it was on there and left it hang. It was a little negative and started to float. What I didn't realize was that the little rod that come up to close the opening in the clip had sand or salt or something in it and didn't close. So it unhooked and started for the boat without me. I never saw it go. My DM saw and grabbed it about 20 feet up and returned it to me. She then hooked it to me.
:laughing: So many get lost or flooded. Not me yet, but we all have out times - very often on the first trip.

another option is to rent a gopro and get still shots out of the film
Outdoor Equipment Rentals rents those, but I don't know if those are dive ready...?

The GoPro is the way I am going. They just released a dive housing for it, and several people make them as well (needs a flat lens to work). I am just mounting mine on a 9"-43" adjustable pole with a handle and lanyard. I can stay off the reef and get everything I want from a distance, and it weighs only like 2 lbs lol.

This is the kind of quality you can get from a GoPro:

[video=youtube;7jYmRFiOfO0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jYmRFiOfO0[/video]

Much cheaper and easier to use solution, and the nice thing is, you don't have to know squat about F stops, exposure levels, white balance, flash etc etc etc. :) Just point and video. The above video was shot in 1080/30fps, and really should have been 720p/60fps to make it smoother, but you get the point.

The GoPro option is a viable non camera reef colliding option. :) A lot eaier for the novice to do/use and get great results.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom