where to take her?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

xtarheel

Reaction score
I'm so damn proud of my wife! In her mid-50's after raising and educating our kids (a doctor and a Peace Corps Volunteer) she got certified this past weekend in a quarry with the worst visability I've ever been in.

Between now and a few years from now when we have to start spoiling grandchildren, we hope to get in some really good diving together. I would really like to get her some good low-stress bottom time to get started. Where would you reccomend we go for her to get some good low pressure experience. We were thinking the Keys or Mexico. Any suggesions, locations or dive operators would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Robert.

Congratulations to your wonderfully talented bride on her quals.

I wish her all the best, and welcome her to the sub sea world.

I cant offer any advice on locations, Im lost myself!!!!

Dave

Plenty of easy shore dives, very little current or surf. Boat dives ain't too shabby, either.
I stay at the Plaza and dive with their dive op, Toucan, but there are plenty of other options.

Got to go with Ken on this one. If you really want to treat her, take her to Bonaire. Bonaire is by far the best, easiest diving to be found this side of the planet. It's a small island that caters to divers. Great food, lovely people, world class tropical reef diving and not a traffic light on the island. We stay at Buddy Dive www.buddydive.com but there are a lot of places on the island to stay, any of which are nice.

First-- Congrats! I've been trying to get my wife of the same age to try diving for years with no luck.
Where to go depends on what you want to do. If diving is the main activity, I would agree to Bonaire. I've stayed at the Plaza Resort. Nice beach, good dive op. But, the island is not so much. If you're looking for other activities and better restaurants, I'd suggest Bahamas or US Virgin Islands.
For an even more romantic venue with lots to do, try Maui or kauai.
Again, Congrats!

Hats off to the lady! We went to the Cayman Islands on a package deal 2 years ago & had the time of our lives. The Cayman Madness festival thru Bob Soto's offered a variety of guided dives (night/wreck/stingrays, etc) in a very low-stress, high festivity setting. Have not tried Bonaire, but want to.

Being from NE Illinois myself, I know exactly what you mean and probably know the quarry too.

My gf and I are going to Bonaire the 1st week of November with our LDS. We are staying at Captain Don's Habitat. This will be our first dive in salt water.

From what I have heard, read, and seen...might not come back to Chicago. :)

Jason

In the USA I'd say the Keys.

Never been to Bonaire myself but I'm planning to.

I would NOT recommend Cozumel because of its stronge current. Save that for a bit down the line.

Have fun! --Starfish

I got one better....

Haigh Quarry in Kankakee, IL.

Average viz is 5ft, the Blue Gills will most surely chomp on your fingers and ears, all the newbies like me will be there kicking up the bottom because we still dont know wtf were doing. There is a nice 30ft boat at 40 feet, the problem is you can only see 5 foot of it at a time...did I mention that the fish will be constantly gnawing at every exposed part of your body?

This place will surely be a winner with the little lady.

:wink:

Anybody mention Bonaire yet???
Buddy's, Capt Don's, Lion's Dive, anywhere...
Bonaire's the ticket.
We're headed there 22-29 March - if you want to go with a guided group PM me.
But go to Bonaire with her...
Rick :)

Back
Top Bottom