Which computer between $300-$400?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Another good feature of the Aladin 2G is that it uses IRda (infrared) connectivity to upload your dives to your PC. You can pick up an IRda USB stick for $10 and the Scubapro dive log software is free. That's good value in my books.

Reactions: Jax
Suunto Vyper...I've been using one for over 10 years...changed the battery myself once in all that time. Also have an old Uwatec Alladin Pro Nitrox...ok computer...have changed the batteries twice at a cost of almost 200.00...have to send it back to the factory....plus it's old...stick with Vyper, Zoop or whatever...cheap, user changeable battery is a BIG plus.

My Aladin 2G has a user replacable battery. It came fitted with a Panasonic CR2450 which retails for about $5.

Are you able to use 2 mm gloves with the Aladin 2G? I couldn't tell by the pictures if the buttons were too small? How are the size of the numbers on the face compared to other computers for ease of reading while diving? Thanks.

Are you able to use 2 mm gloves with the Aladin 2G? I couldn't tell by the pictures if the buttons were too small? How are the size of the numbers on the face compared to other computers for ease of reading while diving? Thanks.

Yes I wear 3mm gloves and the buttons are easy to push. I have a friend with a Vyper and the number sizes on his are slightly bigger and clearer. However both are easy to read underwater.

You can also change the duration of the light anywhere from 1 to 12 seconds or permanantly on to make reading the Aladin easy at night.

For me it came down to the Aladin or the Vyper but I chose the Aladin because it does everything the Vyper does plus it has a better gauge mode and has underwater gas switching. Something to consider if you plan on doing decompression dives.

It has been brought up that LP has the Tusa IQ-700 on sale for $225. I was told by a another vendor that sometimes these sell off computers are not the latest of the models offered by other suppliers. In other words, Tusa doesn't offer this model now, while others such as Zeagle, etc. still are selling this model. Are their earlier models of this Seiko that one should be concerned with?

Should I be concerned about buying the Tusa from LP?

$225 is much cheaper than when I bought mine ~2 years ago. I have not had any problems with mine so far, I haven't even changed the battery yet. The only thing I don't like is that the data cable is still over $100. So I still do not have one :D

The LP site says that it has a 2 year warranty if it makes you feel any better. You could also call and talk to them.

As far as what the "other" vendor said....... Yes this is an older model computer and not the latest and greatest on the market. Originally a handful of companies sold this model and it looks like Zeagle (like you said) is the only one still listing them as active and not discontinued. But then again even Zeagle has a newer model as well, the N2iTiON 3. Besides what evidence is there that the current Zeagle model is any different than the discontinued Tusa?

The only difference might be $175. I am also sure that the other vendor would love to have you buy from them and not someone else. That and I usually don't trust salesmen as far as I can throw them.

I have an aeris xr 1 nx. I got it for 250 and love it, just a simple nitrox computer. Just remember it is more important to get a computer you can understand rather than getting one with a bunch of features and you don't know how to use it.

I called LP to talk about warranty on the Tusa IQ-700 and found the following computers that were marked down over the phone:

Tusa IQ-700 - $225
Tusa IQ-750 - $230
Mares Puk - $200

I thought they would all do what I needed at a good price. Any comments on which one to choose and why? Thanks.

I know a commercial diver/instructor who had the 700 and said it was a really good computer. He took it on over 200 dives without a problem.

I wouldnt go the Mares because it doesnt have multiple gases. Seems to get good reviews though. Probably would make a good fashion statement XD.

The 750 is a bargain at $230 and does everything the 700 does plus more. I dont know anyone that has used it though.

I'd go the 750 if it was my choice.

P.S. Remind me to call LP next time I order something!

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom