Which DSS wing is comparable to the Oxycheq Mach V

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

spschneer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Suggested by the thread I have in BC (general)...Which model of wing from DSS is most comparable to the Oxycheq Mach V 30# lift...

Specifically, interested in warm weather diving, 3MM or less exposure.

I presently use a Zeagle Ranger with 4lbs zip-tied on the shoulder straps and 10 lbs in the hip weight pouches. No exposure protection. Alum 80 and can/do hold a safety stop at 15-20 feet with minimal / no air in the BC at 500 PSI...

The reason I'm looking for something other than the Ranger, is the trim issue..I'm feet-heavy (long, very lean legs since I ride a bike for exercise).

Thanks

Steve

spschneer:
Suggested by the thread I have in BC (general)...Which model of wing from DSS is most comparable to the Oxycheq Mach V 30# lift...

Specifically, interested in warm weather diving, 3MM or less exposure.

I presently use a Zeagle Ranger with 4lbs zip-tied on the shoulder straps and 10 lbs in the hip weight pouches. No exposure protection. Alum 80 and can/do hold a safety stop at 15-20 feet with minimal / no air in the BC at 500 PSI...

The reason I'm looking for something other than the Ranger, is the trim issue..I'm feet-heavy (long, very lean legs since I ride a bike for exercise).

Thanks

Steve

Steve,

A far better place to start is by determining if you need a 30 lbs wing.

I am a bit confused about your current set up. Are you say that with no wetsuit at all , a jacket BC and an al80 tank that you need 16 lbs of ballast? (4 lbs zip tied, 10 in the pockets and ~2lbs worth of regulator)

An empty al 80 is +4 lbs , and about +3 at 500 psi. Your current BC might be a 2-4 lbs positive, lets say 3. That means you need 3 lbs to counter the positive buoyancy of your tank at 500 psi, and 3 to sink your BC, that leaves 10 lbs for what?

Most fit divers using an al 80 in warm water need about 6-8 lbs of ballast, ~4 to counter the buoyancy of a empty al 80, and about 4 more if they are using a 2-3mm suit. A SS plate and harness is about -6 and a reg is about -2. That means many dive in warm water with no ballast other than the plate and reg.

If that's really the case for you you can easily dive with a wing much smaller than a 30.

What do you need to be able to float your rig at the surface with a full tank, SS plate and harness and reg? Full al 80 is -2, reg is -2, plate and harness is about -6. That's only 10 lbs.

How much buoyancy can your 3mm suit loose due to compression? No more than it starts with, or about 4-6 lbs.

10 lbs > 6 lbs so floating your rig is the determining factor. Our smallest wings, either the TTW17, or Torus 17 would easily fit your needs if my assumptions are correct.

If I'm missing something about your current configuration let me know.

Tobin

Hi Tobin,

Not missing much...4 lbs on straps, 10 lbs in pouches, 2#(regs) no exposure protection....I'm 6'6", 217Lbs and long legs/regular torso with 10-15 lbs too much "good living" around the waist:lotsalove:....

I have a Zeagle Ranger, with back pad (to take up some space) that is (now) too loose on me (its a L(top)/XL(bottom)... I lost 50 lbs 2 years ago and have kept it off:D) by a couple of inches, even at the tightest adjustment...

If I were to do anything to that rig, I'd have to get a smaller waist section (including the weight system and cummerbund) which would be around $300 or so...thus I'm looking at all my options.

I was on a vacation to Cayman Brac this summer and dove 17 times in a week and was very comfortable / relaxed...I was carrying 10# + 4# + reg, no Exposure protection and was trimmed, and stable with the ability to hold a 15' safety stop @ 500 PSI with no air in the bladder.

I'm not necessarily saying I "need" a 30# wing...but I'm really impressed by the compactness of the Oxycheq Mach 5 30# in the picture referenced in my other thread
and that is what I'm basing my question on...I'm thinking anything more than 17 should be enough? but what do I know???

I figure a Long pattern BP, small, compact wing, and Hog harness should help with the trim issue and be easier to schlep around etc...

Steve

spschneer:
I figure a Long pattern BP, small, compact wing, and Hog harness should help with the trim issue and be easier to schlep around etc...

Steve

That's what I have. DSS's long pattern ss back plate, 30# LCD wing and the hog harness. I'm 6' 6" and 325lbs (I've lost 5lbs this month.) I am a Johnny G Spin Instructor, although I don't really bike a lot, my legs are extermely strong. Then, I have last football tail gating, Christmas, Thanksgiving, and my babies fat around my waist now. I use no weights in fresh water and no exposure and in salt water, with x-shorts, I need to and 8lbs.

Hope this helps you.

Michael

Don't forget that your current Ranger is about +3-4 positive (I know, I used one briefly). I can't imagine anyone needing more than 15# in a 3mm doing WW diving. With my 5# plate and an AL80, I have 2# on a belt in saltwater (and having forgotten the belt once, I was only slightly positive at the end of the dive). I've used the Oxy Mach V, and I'd say it's very similar in shape to the DSS 26# Torus (which my girlfriend dives). I haven't seen Tobin's smaller wings, so can't comment on those. For singles, I much prefer DSS over OxyCheq (assuming complete package of plate and wing). Good luck.

16lbs with no exposure protection? That's ridiculous.

SparticleBrane:
16lbs with no exposure protection? That's ridiculous.
I USED to read most of your postings since your posts seemed to have a moderate degree of intelligence ... Apparently I was WRONG....

(edited to indicate posts were thought to have a moderate degree of intelligence)

If you had read the thread, you will notice that the amount of weight is appropriate based on the standard method of determining weighting (500 psi, no air in the bladder, and able to hold a safety stop at 15 feet without finning/movement....) if you'd like to try swapping equipment and bodies, to see if you could get it lower come right ahead...But you have to prove you can get back into your own body first...

If you have anything else to add, please do it without ridicule (to me or anyone else)

Steve

spschneer:
I USED to read most of your postings since you seemed to have a moderate degree of intelligence ... Apparently I was WRONG....

If you had read the thread, you will notice that the amount of weight is appropriate based on the standard method of determining weighting (500 psi, no air in the bladder, and able to hold a safety stop at 15 feet without finning/movement....) if you'd like to try swapping equipment and bodies, to see if you could get it lower come right ahead...But you have to prove you can get back into your own body first...

If you have anything else to add, please do it without ridicule (to me or anyone else)

Steve
While you might disagree with me, I still say something is wrong with this picture.
I frequently dive with brand new open water students (going on their certification dives) wearing thick wetsuits (2-piece suits!), floaty BCs, Al80s...using 12-14lbs of weight and they can hold a stop at 500psi.
I'm overweighted in fresh water with a 6lbs backplate and an Al80 (with no suit on).

My comment wasn't meant to ridicule you and I apologize if you took i that way...just saying that I believe 16lbs is a ridiculous amount of weight for no exposure protection. There's no possible way anyone could need that much diving in bare skin.

spschneer:
I USED to read most of your postings since you seemed to have a moderate degree of intelligence ... Apparently I was WRONG....

Steve

Steve,

Sparticle may not have been too polite in his response, but I too don't understand where a diver who is 6'6" 217 lbs would require a total of 16 lbs of ballast with no exposure suit.

People are made mostly out of water, and most folks will be close to neutral in just swim trunks. You are on the "lean" side.

Even if your current BC is +4 with an empty bladder, and your tank is +3 with 500 psi, that still leaves 9 lbs of ballast unaccounted for. 9 lbs is a lot.

If you hopped in the pool in just your trunks and I handed you 9 lbs of lead how long could you keep your head above water?

If what you seek is the least drag in the water, you need to consider the smallest wing that meets your needs. In order to select that wing I need to have buoyancy and ballast numbers that make sense.

I'd suggest you do just that, get in the pool with just your wetsuit on and add lead until you are neutral.

Tobin

SparticleBrane:
While you might disagree with me, I still say something is wrong with this picture.
I frequently dive with brand new open water students (going on their certification dives) wearing thick wetsuits (2-piece suits!), floaty BCs, Al80s...using 12-14lbs of weight and they can hold a stop at 500psi.
I'm overweighted in fresh water with a 6lbs backplate and an Al80 (with no suit on).

My comment wasn't meant to ridicule you and I apologize if you took i that way...just saying that I believe 16lbs is a ridiculous amount of weight for no exposure protection. There's no possible way anyone could need that much diving in bare skin.

Well, You didn't read too closely ... I am using 14 lbs of wts (the extra 2 are computed by Tobin as the equivalent of the Regs)...Also, I'm diving in Salt water (are your students in fresh?..if so, that's probably the difference....

Also, I'm not really caring too much since a couple of pounds either way are more than off-set by the degree of trim (which I gained by arranging my weights properly) that I now have that I didn't before. Once I've got several hundred dives, I'll probably also be able to drop some weight, but now it's not as important as some other things (basic skill practice, enjoying myself underwater, meeting and making new friends diving, etc, etc,,,)...I really don't care if I'm using 14 or 10 or 20 lbs....if I'm trimmed, and under control, and have my buoyancy correct enough so I'm able to hold a safety stop and don't crash the reef or Polaris...I"m happy...

Steve

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom