Which DSS wing is comparable to the Oxycheq Mach V

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cool_hardware52:
And if I'm not mistaken was already out of production well before we introduced our LCD 30....

Tobin
Proving my point that you didn't invent the narrow wing.

I'm not sure exactly when the Eclipse series replaced the Pioneer series, but if you search for "batwing" or Halcyon Pioneer, you'll find plenty of discussion before and after 2004. Here is a website selling them in 2005: http://adventuresdownunder.com/tekwings.htm

Sorry for the hijack!

Sunnto Vyper/SK7 boots?

I love mine.

Michael

cool_hardware52:
Glad you noticed. What other "firsts" would you attribute to DSS?

Tobin
To my knowledge:

-A doubles wing with the inflation bias toward the upper part of the wing (Torus 49)
-Grommets over the webbing slots of your BPs
-Center windows instead of slots for cam bands
-SK7 boots (love mine)
-Delrin wingnuts
-A decent STA-less option

Does anyone else make weightplates like you do?

What did I miss?

spschneer:
Which DSS wing is comparable to the Oxycheq Mach V after all:confused:???
I'd say Torus 26.

Tobin,
If I do reduce my lead weight to ~8-10 lbs (2 of which is reg, 6-8 is lead)...and plan to use a SS plate (approx 6 lbs)...then I'd be able to do without added weight (or maybe 2-4 lbs max) in salt with no exposure protection...(Alum 80) ... What wing would I go with? LCD 20 /22mil or Torus 26 or ???

Thanks for the education (everyone)...

Steve

spschneer:
Tobin,
If I do reduce my lead weight to ~8-10 lbs

I'm confused, didn't you just say you were basically neutral in just your swim trunks? If so, what's this "if", and where are you getting the 8-10# estimate? If you're neutral and don't plan on wearing any exposure protection, you just need a wing large enough to float your rig. Tobin's smallest wing would do that. Sorry if I missed something, I read quickly.

Steve,

I'm really not trying to be difficult, but.... you have established that you sink in just your swim suit. Why are you planning to use 10 lbs of ballast + 6 lbs backplate when all you really need is about 4 lbs to offset the buoyancy of an empty al 80? You will be about 12 lbs overweighted.

Lets assume you "just float" in salt water. That's very common for folks who "just sink" in fresh.

Now lets add an al 80 that's +4 when it's empty and a regulator that's about -2. You need 2 lbs more ballast. A Kydex plate and harness would provide about that.

With a rig that's at most about -4 lbs with a full bottle, and no compressible exposure suit you need almost no lift. Our Torus 17 would be plenty.

Tobin

Rainer:
I'm confused, didn't you just say you were basically neutral in just your swim trunks? If so, what's this "if", and where are you getting the 8-10# estimate? If you're neutral and don't plan on wearing any exposure protection, you just need a wing large enough to float your rig. Tobin's smallest wing would do that. Sorry if I missed something, I read quickly.

What he said.

FWIW and according to someone who owns one, the Pioneer center panel is 3.25" . . .

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom