Which DSS wing is comparable to the Oxycheq Mach V

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Steve, you're right; the most important thing is being safe and having fun.

And I think you have half of the weighting principles right. If you can hold a stop at 15 feet with 500 psi in the tank, you are not UNDERweighted. You may still be grossly OVERweighted, though. It's pretty easy to find out. If you bleed the tank down to 500 psi, and stand in water about chest-deep, see if, with all the air out of your BC and your breath fully exhaled, you can lie on the bottom. If you can, and still float upward with a deep breath, you are correctly weighted. If you can sink without exhaling, try taking some weight off until you can just sink when you have exhaled.

Then you can arrange the amount of weight you've determined you need to adjust your trim.

It really isn't important to fine tune this to the nearest 6 ounces :) But carrying down 8 or 9 pounds you don't need is costing you a great deal of efficiency, because you have to carry air in the BC to compensate for the overweighting. From your original post, it's clear you're thinking about streamlining and efficient movement underwater, and if that's one of your goals, getting your weighting close to right is a big step toward it.

I hear you about being happy with the weight distribution you've found, and how it works to balance you underwater. But if you buy a BP/W system, you're going to have to redo your weights anyway, because you will lose some positive buoyancy when you switch from the BC, and you'll gain some negative from the backplate. So why not begin the process now? That will help you decide more precisely which wing you'll be happy with in the long term.

TSandM:
..... You may still be grossly OVERweighted, though. It's pretty easy to find out. If you bleed the tank down to 500 psi, and stand in water about chest-deep, see if, with all the air out of your BC and your breath fully exhaled, you can lie on the bottom. If you can, and still float upward with a deep breath, you are correctly weighted. If you can sink without exhaling, try taking some weight off until you can just sink when you have exhaled.

Not understanding here...how can I be OVERweighted with NO AIR in my bc (or trapped or held anywhere else), not holding my breath but breathing normally. Hovering alongside but not holding onto the hang-line with 500 psi in my tank? what else is possible to be causing bouyancy? Only thing I see is possilbly 3-4 lbs bouyancy of the materials in the Ranger plus the (almost empty) Alum 80 tank.

(I just haven't been on a shore-dive in so long, I can't /haven't been able to try your suggestion)..Most dives around here are boat dives...(this weekend is an exception, we're doing a shore dive with a bunch of SB'ers and will have a chance to check it out)...also, don't want to confuse pool/fresh water with salt water weighting...

But still confused what I'm missing....

Steve

spschneer:
Not understanding here...how can I be OVERweighted with NO AIR in my bc (or trapped or held anywhere else), not holding my breath but breathing normally. Hovering alongside but not holding onto the hang-line with 500 psi in my tank? what else is possible to be causing bouyancy? Only thing I see is possilbly 3-4 lbs bouyancy of the materials in the Ranger plus the (almost empty) Alum 80 tank.

(I just haven't been on a shore-dive in so long, I can't /haven't been able to try your suggestion)..Most dives around here are boat dives...(this weekend is an exception, we're doing a shore dive with a bunch of SB'ers and will have a chance to check it out)...also, don't want to confuse pool/fresh water with salt water weighting...

But still confused what I'm missing....

Steve

Steve,

If we start with the premise that you are close to neutral in your birthday suit how do you explain your need for a total of 16 lbs of ballast when diving with a BC that's maybe +4 with an empty bladder, and a tank that's +3 @ 500 psi?

My suspicion is you may have more gas in your bc than you think you do. That's not uncommon when horizontal with some jacket bc's. You may have dumped all gas you can, but not all the gas in the bag. I'd also want to actually weigh the lead you are carrying. I have a block weight marked "4" that really weighs 2.75 lbs.

Hollow leg maybe:wink:

Tobin

Okay, I missed the part about having no air in the BC. If you truly don't have any air there and you're hovering easily with 500 psi, then you are probably properly weighted. Sorry.

It amazes me -- Although I'm a lot smaller than you are, I'm EXTREMELY buoyant. (I did the tread for my PADI cert by sitting in the water without moving and looking at the guy with the timer.) I carry more weight than anybody I know for any given gear configuration, but in a 3 mil suit with an Al80 and a 5 lb steel backplate, I only need two pounds to be perfectly weighted. With no exposure protection at all, I suspect I'd be overweighted with just the plate. That's why it seems so strange to me that you need as much weight as you apparently do. Doesn't matter, really -- The important thing is to get the right amount, not what it is.

cool_hardware52:
Steve,

If we start with the premise that you are close to neutral in your birthday suit how do you explain your need for a total of 16 lbs of ballast when diving with a BC that's maybe +4 with an empty bladder, and a tank that's +3 @ 500 psi?

My suspicion is you may have more gas in your bc than you think you do. That's not uncommon when horizontal with some jacket bc's. You may have dumped all gas you can, but not all the gas in the bag. I'd also want to actually weigh the lead you are carrying. I have a block weight marked "4" that really weighs 2.75 lbs.

Hollow leg maybe:wink:

Tobin
I'll check the weights (however on my CB trip I used 2 weights marked 5 lbs and 2 marked 2 lbs and they gave the same results (hard cast lead)) as my sea-pearls soft wts do)...

I'm not sure me and my birthday suit:D are that "neutral" but with just the 2 2lbs(4 total) ty-wrapped on the BC straps w/o a tank and w/o a reg, it does sink...again, as empty as the bladder is when I'm hovering at my safety stop...

Remember, I'm 6'6" with most of my "size" above my hips (my legs are long, and thin for the rest of my physique)...

Steve :confused::confused::confused:

spschneer:
I'll check the weights (however on my CB trip I used 2 weights marked 5 lbs and 2 marked 2 lbs and they gave the same results (hard cast lead)) as my sea-pearls soft wts do)...

I'm not sure me and my birthday suit:D are that "neutral" but with just the 2 2lbs(4 total) ty-wrapped on the BC straps w/o a tank and w/o a reg, it does sink...again, as empty as the bladder is when I'm hovering at my safety stop...

Remember, I'm 6'6" with most of my "size" above my hips (my legs are long, and thin for the rest of my physique)...

Steve :confused::confused::confused:

I have never encountered anybody who is +9 buoyant in just their swimsuit. The natural "corks" tend to be "very well rounded" You don't fit that description.

Go hop in a pool and find out how much lead you need to sink in just your swimsuit.

Tobin

Sheesh, didn't mean to cause such a commotion. :11:
When you do go hop in the pool, just exhale without moving. Exhale everything you've got, all at once. You might find that you sink...
TSandM is the exception to the rule and the only person I've ever 'known' who hasn't done this.

Once had a girl in class who was ~275-300lbs (just a guess...she was fairly rotund...) who was absolutely convinced she needed weight in the pool with no exposure protection and a ss bp/w setup. Finally managed to convince her that yes, she could sink (in her bathing suit with no weight)...just took a bit longer than other people. I would be very surprised if you don't immediately sink to the bottom...

Okay...(I am starting to feel like the subject in a science experiment:D)

First, checked all the weights I use and all are accurate w/in 1/2 oz...

I tested the buoyancy of the Ranger (as I dive it, w/o tank, w/o reg...but all the other stuff...with ALL air sucked out...was 3 pounds buoyant (1x2lb it floated, 2x2lb it sank...3 lb just sorta sat there)....

I also tested my own buoyancy ... me and in-sport lycra shorts (usual summer dive apparel)...from a relaxed float (i.e. deadman, face-down)...total exhale at once...took 15-20 seconds to sink to 6 foot bottom of pool...so I'm very slightly negative but pretty close to neutral cause I wasn't able to hold any longer to see if I bounced or what...

So...theoretically, that should mean all I need to do is offset the buoyancy of the tank (i.e. Alum 80 = Positive 4(?) with 500 PSI?) and I should be "net" (me, and gear) neutral....

and at the end of dive I should be able to hover middle-of-watercolumn ...

But, when I dive this weekend and can't get down, and/or at the end of dive, cork thru my safety stop, anybody have any suggestions????:confused:

Steve

spschneer:
So...theoretically, that should mean all I need to do is offset the buoyancy of the tank (i.e. Alum 80 = Positive 4(?) with 500 PSI?) and I should be "net" (me, and gear) neutral....

and at the end of dive I should be able to hover middle-of-watercolumn ...

But, when I dive this weekend and can't get down,

Stop finning and hold a negative thought :wink:

Jokes aside I'd look at possible incomplete venting of your current BC.

Tobin

cool_hardware52:
Stop finning and hold a negative thought :wink:

Jokes aside I'd look at possible incomplete venting of your current BC.

Tobin

Ommmmmm:rofl3:

Even tho' I Rock 'n roll to get the air to the top/vent with the inflator raised above my head:dork2:? I gave up trying to use the bottom (left only) dump...now I pivot to vertical and raise the inflator hose to vent...it does blast out and then stop, I r'n'r and sometimes a bubble or two will result but mostly I've gotten pretty good (you should have seen BEFORE I practiced:shakehead:)....

That's probably going to happen with any wing, right? Even a low-volume/compact one like a DSS LCD or Torus?

Steve

Back
Top Bottom