Which Fins?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaRook

Registered
Reaction score
Hello All,

I am planning a honeymoon to French Polynesia in September. So my fiance and I have taken up PADI scuba classes so we can scuba in FP. We just started the reading material and will be taking the pool classes in a couple of weeks. We are also going to do the open water dives here in Michigan to get more experiance and become more comfortable with diving before we go.

Now, time to buy the gear. We just plan to buy the mask, fins and snorkel. But we are not sure which fins to get between the strap foot fins with dive boots, or the full-foot fins. I am not even sure if we people normally take fins with them to FP. We are only dive twice (two days of two-tank dives), along with snorkeling.

I know the strap-foot fins are better for cold water diving like here in Michigan, but I am not sure how much diving in Michigan we will do. The full-foot fins seem as they would be easier in FP for diving and for snorkeling. Also, we wanted to have reef-shoes, which the dive boots would work, but the dive boots are kind of thick and bulky compared to reef-shoes.

Any suggestions on which to get?

Thanks

ScubaRook:
Hello All,

I am planning a honeymoon to French Polynesia in September. So my fiance and I have taken up PADI scuba classes so we can scuba in FP. We just started the reading material and will be taking the pool classes in a couple of weeks. We are also going to do the open water dives here in Michigan to get more experiance and become more comfortable with diving before we go.

Now, time to buy the gear. We just plan to buy the mask, fins and snorkel. But we are not sure which fins to get between the strap foot fins with dive boots, or the full-foot fins. I am not even sure if we people normally take fins with them to FP. We are only dive twice (two days of two-tank dives), along with snorkeling.

I know the strap-foot fins are better for cold water diving like here in Michigan, but I am not sure how much diving in Michigan we will do. The full-foot fins seem as they would be easier in FP for diving and for snorkeling. Also, we wanted to have reef-shoes, which the dive boots would work, but the dive boots are kind of thick and bulky compared to reef-shoes.

Any suggestions on which to get?

Thanks

Like just about all dive gear, everyone has their own preferences.

I have used both the full foot and strap type of fins with a boot. I personally did not like diving with the full foot type as they continually rubbed my foot with every stroke/kick. If they fit perfectly, I guess that would not be a problem, but, I don't think you're interested in custom fit fins, then again, I could be wrong.

As for the strap type, I love them. I have a rather heavy boot because I do a lot of quarry diving. However, I used that same boot in Jamaica a few weeks ago and it was nice to be able to walk out to the snorkeling area without getting my feet ripped to shreds. They look goofy with just a swim suit on, but I'm not much of a fashion icon anyway.

Brian

I have to agree with Brian. I use a Strap Fin and most of my diving is in Warm Water. I use 3mil boot and can walk around in them before I put on my fin. Besides, if you do any cold water diving there in Michigan, you're going to want a boot and I'm pretty sure it'll be hard to fit a boot in a full foot fin.

Why not both? Start out with full foot fins, such as Mares Plana Avanti's or Oceanic's and if you decide to dive in cooler waters then purchase a pair of fins with open heels and a pair of booties. A good pair of full foot fins travel better and for warm water diving are perfect. In fact several pair of full foot fins out perform many of the open heel style fins. If you find yourself doing more diving you'll end up changing the type of fins you wear anyway. Go for the full foot warm water fins first and then see what you need later.-M

So I will be okay using strap fins for snorkeling? Do people generally take their own fins with them or just use the fins at the dive shop? Also, I thought of getting some of the lighter weight boots that come just to the ankle. Should these also work for cold water diving?

Get simple open heeled fins and hard sole boots. You can dive warm and cold, snorkel, and just walk around on a boat or the shore with little fear of stepping on something injurious. Something like Rocket fins or Blades should work well. They have for me.

For cold water you would want the higher/heavier boots and strap fins. Even if you're only going to do your OW in cold water you'll still need them. Depending on the shop, fins you might be able to rent or maybe you can borrow from someone, much less frequently can you do that for boots. If you get strap fins they work just fine for snorkeling too.

Full foot fins with boots or reef shoes don't really work, either they won't fit or the fins will tend to come off.

Most people take their fins along, but almost anyplace tropical will have full foot fins to rent. Some people wear fin socks with these to prevent blisters.

I'd say if you're doing OW in Michigan and have to buy strap fins, may as well take them along if luggage isn't a problem - they'll probably be better than anything you rent. Get the boots if you have to for cold, and reef shoes or tropical booties to take with the fins to FP. That way your feet are protected to walk and you can put the fins right over them. If you plan to use reef shoes in fins, you'll probably find them more comfortable if they have neoprene rather than mesh over the toes, top of the foot, and back of the heel where the fin touches most, and no seams or straps in bad places. I use tropical booties, which are pretty much like reef shoes but plain neoprene and a little higher in the back where the fin strap goes.

strap fins with booties. booties at least protect you from corals.

Do people generally take their own fins with them

Not only do I take mine with me, I put them in my carry on luggage. I'd rather rent anything else than fins.

Full foot is the way to go for safety in any environment. I take off my fins, slip the straps over my wrists and then climb the ladder. If I were to slip, I'd be able to put them back on and swim back to the boat. With full foot fins, you've either handed them up and no longer have them or you have them in your hand making for a less secure grip and more likely to slip (in which case, you'll likely drop the fins).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom