Which is better Tern TX or the Peregrine TX?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JCastle19

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Now that Shearwater have released an AI version of the Peregrine with a built in compass, which is better?

It all depends, for example the terntx will allow you to do free diving if this interest you. Tern can ba an “everyday” watch peregrine not. I prefer larger screen so my choice will be the peregrine.

Less battery risk with peregrine is my guess.

Now that Shearwater have released an AI version of the Peregrine with a built in compass, which is better?

IMO neither is "better" than the other. They are apples vs oranges. It is all about your preferences as to form factor and style. Shearwater has now provided two exceptional recreational-focused options with both AI and a compass. You need to determine which style matches your preferences.

It will all come down to how you plan on using it.

If wearing as a daily watch, then the Tern TX is a better choice. Though I will say there are much better daily wear watches out there. If you plan on using for free diving as well as Scuba, the Tern is again a better choice.

The floating compass ring on the Tern TX is nice. With the Peregrine, the compass is accessible, and easy to use, but when it is on screen, it occupies the entire bottom row. So whatever you have configured there is not visible. For me (Perdix AI) that would include my tank pressure information, Surf GF, GF99, and GTR. So the compass on the Peregrine would be better suited to occasional use instead of full-time navigation. For me, I just use the compass on my Garmin rather than switching to the compass on my Peregrine.

Tern TX has two more buttons. That's a personal preference. Some have indicated they prefer the two button navigation as compared to the four button. The four button does give you the ability to go back, though.

Battery would be the big question for me. Both batteries are rechargeable in case. The Peregrine has been out for a while and I haven't seen any complaints on the battery. The Teric, however, has had a lot of battery concerns. While the battery in the Tern TX is different than the battery in the Teric, the firmware is the same. So if the problems with the Teric battery are related to the firmware, this could be an issue on the Terns as well. Peregrine TX uses the same firmware as the Peregrine, Pedix, Petrel, and Nerd.

Either would be a good choice.

[snip]
Tern TX has two more buttons. That's a personal preference. Some have indicated they prefer the two button navigation as compared to the four button. The four button does give you the ability to go back, though.
[snip]
Too many buttons. Too many batteries. Duh.

Don't use the "extra" two buttons and you have the "same" 2-button interface - problem solved [yea, yea, But failure points - uggh :bash:]

I would really like to have the quick-switch AA-Battery supply over the rechargeable, or at least a DIYer & "shop"-replaceable rechargeable. $30 for a battery and Oring to have a fresh rechargeable every couple years would not be too bad.

Back
Top Bottom