Which is the better regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Also you can ship the regulators to Atomic for service. I have done this for some second-hand purchases and in one case the inside of the first stage was so messed up they gave me another refurbished first stage. Soft parts get replaced Their after sales support is really good so you can bypass the LDS if necessary. I have done a little DIY but

Lots of choice is good though confusing. But you will get lots of opinions here. Over 40 years of diving and I have used USD/Aqualung, Scubapro, Oceanic, Atomic, Dacor and Sherwood. They all worked just fine.

Thanks for the input and I'll follow up with some answers to the questions asked.

Yes, made in the USA matters, but not 100%. If I can get better quality then that's where I'm going. Again at 100' I don't care where it's made I just want it to perform.
I live in Florida and dive mostly in local springs and South Florida. I don't ever see me diving cold water.
I choose these three mainly due to price point and reviews.
Yes I would consider DIY service if trained.

As you all know you can go dizzy looking at all the different regulator available. That's why I posted this thread. If anyone else has a suggestion on a brand/model I'm all ears. I would like to stay around the $400.00 price range. Thanks again!!!
If made in USA matters..Your ONLY regulator choice is Atomic.

@Bali1 there is a lot of evidence that sealing the chambers of piston regulators can be far worse for them than leaving them unsealed because anything that gets in, won't come out. 2 years of salt water sitting on that piston will cause some serious damage. 7 ports is excessive, the swivels are better because they will adjust with need. Typically that is turning your head or donating your regulator.

@Dnaber I would argue that of the three, the Atomic is going to be the best quality and performance of the bunch, and has the added benefits of being made in the USA. allows user servicing, and doesn't have a warranty contingent on a yearly service interval. For that, I will never new purchase Aqualung regulators *including Apeks*.

@cerich Hollis claims that all of their metal parts and assembly are done in the USA, I'm not entirely sure I believe that, but I have it in writing from them, but of the "big name" regs that are made in the US, Atomic is the only one I would personally go with. Argonaut Kraken is also made in USA, but is a double hose and isn't a "big name"

Quality is very subjective since most of these are done with injection molded and CNC machined parts, so the Asians can make regulators just as good as we can and just as good as the Brits and Europeans can. It is all in the design, and I think of the lot that you listed, the Atomic is going to be the best.

I would also consider looking at the Argonaut Kraken, it's unique and different, but in a good way, especially if recreationally diving. I've used a couple of the prototypes and they're snazzy. If almost all of my diving wasn't cave diving, I would already have one and may well treat myself to the new one this year just for fun, but it's $600 not $400. Unfortunately you just missed the big xmas sale from Deep6, but for my money, restricted to buying new today at ~$400 msrp, I'd get either the Deep6, or the Dive Rite XT. Both similar designs, Deep6 I think is better, but it's splitting hairs. Both are nominal $400 for just a first and second, or nominal $600 for a full single tank setup. I would recommend getting a full single tank setup personally so everything is standardized, but to each his own.

I'd vote for the Atomic Z2 without reservation. Extremely well made. Cold and saltwater have never been a problem.

Well I just got back from my local LDS and after a very long discussion I left with a HOG-0376, D3 Din 1st stage sealed and the HOG 0379, Zenith Chrome second stage. Thanks again for all your suggestions. You are a great bunch to have handy!!

Sealed pistons have a long and successful history so is "a lot of evidence" anecdotal? Many here on SB swear by old SP first stages with SPEC boots. These regulators have been around for decades. Saltwater can get trapped inside the first stage only if it was not packed correctly in the first instance or the grease leaked out during the diving season and was not replenished but I have no idea how prevalent this really is. I would be interested to hear if others have encountered this as well.

I too prefer a swivel turret but I have used regs with fixed ports. Lots of great regulators without them, especially the small-body diaphragm firsts. Again this is personal preference and depends on what diving you do.

DNaber - You will enjoy the HOGs. Happy diving.

Sealed pistons have a long and successful history so is "a lot of evidence" anecdotal? Many here on SB swear by old SP first stages with SPEC boots. These regulators have been around for decades. Saltwater can get trapped inside the first stage only if it was not packed correctly in the first instance or the grease leaked out during the diving season and was not replenished but I have no idea how prevalent this really is. I would be interested to hear if others have encountered this as well.

I too prefer a swivel turret but I have used regs with fixed ports. Lots of great regulators without them, especially the small-body diaphragm firsts. Again this is personal preference and depends on what diving you do.

DNaber - You will enjoy the HOGs. Happy diving.

I have been using only piston regulators (SP & Atomic) for the last 20+ years in my 40+ of diving and not a single problem due to what some here claim. I dove these regulators in the cold waters of New England in the winter, in the tropics and everything in between. No issues at all. Some are sealed and some aren't and no problems with either. Nothing comes close to the Atomic regulators' performance or reliability other than SP.

I would also consider looking at the Argonaut Kraken, it's unique and different, but in a good way, especially if recreationally diving. I've used a couple of the prototypes and they're snazzy. If almost all of my diving wasn't cave diving, I would already have one and may well treat myself to the new one this year just for fun, but it's $600 not $400.
I just got a AK and it's the best set up I ever dove with. It's a bit more pricy then tbone1004 quoted. I paid 728.00 US$ (including alternate air source and SPG) but it is worth every penny. Also don't forget, the AK looks sexy as hell!

Keep those bubbles flowing!

Olivier

If made in USA matters..Your ONLY regulator choice is Atomic.
I think Zeagle regs are still made in the USA. I wouldn't be surprised if they were made in the same building as Atomic.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom