Which liveaboard is great for sharks and rays in January?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mantajohn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My next lob will be in Jan 14. I would really like one that gave good opportunities for sharks and rays.

excluding cocos (went there in 2012 and jan is not the best season) I would really appreciate some suggestions.

from searching SB, socorro is looking very interesting - where else should I consider?

thanks

john

Maldives- sharks and rays a plenty in the channels. MV Orion has good reviews.

Disclaimer- I don't operate or work for a LOB.

I have read good things about Orion also.

not convinced about Maldives liveaboards any more. They are getting evermore luxurious and seemingly less interested in diving high energy sites where pelagic action focuses.

Also, I was struck on my last trip how busy it is getting. Even a short while ago you could spend a whole trip without seeing another lob. There are now so many that on my last trip we were rarely out of sight of 3 or more other boats.

What a great idea. i just spent a good time on their www & it looks a wonderful trip.

Full of enthusiasm i checked their 2014 availability. SOLD out in Jan. In fact virtually zero availability for Jan-May 2014. Looks like a trip that needs booking a very long way out.

If you're still considering Socorro Islands - I would for the sheer diversity of the shark species seen there - Rocio Del Mar has availability in mid-January. It's a nice, newer boat, built by the owners to be a dive boat - I know the owner slightly as they're based here. (Phoenix, AZ) My buddy was on it last summer and had a good trip but the Midriff trip not Socorro. I believe they leave out of Cabo, MX for that trip. We're planning to do it in a few years with them also. Rocio Del Mar Liveaboard - Socorro Islands Schedule - Rates The other thing so good about Socorro - or the Maldives - is the big Manta's.

Another option for reef sharks only (mostly) might be the Turks/Caicos - either Explorer or Aggressor. But around that time they both move over for Humpback whale watching which is snorkeling only so check their schedules. Here's what you can expect - thanks to Mike Southard. Saudio's Trip Reports

Last edited:
Steve

Thanks for this info. I did T&C Aggressor a few years back. Great trip.

Of the 2, i would veer towards Socorro. The wilder setting of Socorro appeals.

They are getting evermore luxurious and seemingly less interested in diving high energy sites where pelagic action focuses.

I agree- however this is a response to the level of guests that arrive on LOBs. Once it was only for the most dedicated and 'advanced' divers. Nowadays you see on SB questions about getting an OW cert on a LOB. A frequent 'complaint' from guests is that the current was too strong and they got tired during the dive.

You either have to get very lucky or look for a trip which states the minimum experience etc. Even then you have to be lucky.

Also, I was struck on my last trip how busy it is getting. Even a short while ago you could spend a whole trip without seeing another lob. There are now so many that on my last trip we were rarely out of sight of 3 or more other boats.

You need to get out of Male and Ari. I've found that the channels in Laamu Atoll beat Male or Ari's for grey reef numbers. However corals aren't as nice as in Ari.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom