Which liveaboard is great for sharks and rays in January?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ReubenCahn - The Golden Dawn looks a great idea. Never heard of it. Many thanks for suggesting it. Long way from here. will add that to my wish list for future years.

Supegaijin - i think your point about the type of guests now booking Maldives lob's is probably the reason why most of the lob's are so unadventurous.

Last year in Komodo, one of the guests formally complained to the Cruise Director that we had been dropped into current. Another complained that there were sharks in the water. Apparently both regarded these as safety issues.

The rest of us pointed out that we had travelled a long way specifically to see sharks in current!

Got back from Socorro on the Solmar V 3 weeks ago and posted a trip report on this site. Great sharks, mantas and we spent more time than we could have wished for with humback mom and baby. Remarkable trip. As to getting tired. Well, sometimes that can be age, I'm afraid. I have been diving 21 years and am an instructor. Another "more mature" instructor and I found diving into the current for 15 minutes in the Maldives last November tiring. We're both in our late 50s, so, our response was to say we better start exercising more, but it does happen with age. I found Socorro current tiring sometimes as well, but the good kind of tiring. Anyway, getting tired swimming into strong current for more than 5 minutes is not just hard on the inexperienced, we old folks suffer the same plight. We just blame ourselves for getting out of shape and know that with current comes great surprises.

Rob

Have heard great things about Socorro and the Rocio del Mar. My most adrenaline filled diving (outside of a cage at least) was in the Tahitian islands... not aware of what LOBs operate there as my boat dives were all based from shore.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom