which reg is better

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ssbuick

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
im looking to upgrade my regs this year and have narrowed it down to 2 different ones. i was looking for some in put on which would be a better reg that will last and be good quality. first reg is the HOG D1 Regulator cold water first and second stage din style. the second is Aqualung Legend LX Regulator, Yoke. any input would be awsome.

I dont own a HOG but I have read a lot of good things about them, and they usually are less expensive.

MOPAR = Massively Over Powered And Respected. I know. I have some.

DC

From a performance perspective, you will not see any real difference in either reg. I would suggest a Titan first stage with the LX second stage is a less expensive reg than the Legend with equal performance. HOGS will be less expensive. There are other considerations. Can you get the HOG serviced locally or will you need to send it off, same question on the AL? If you travel a lot, the AL will be easier to have serviced world wide than the HOG, hopefully you will never need service away from home but it is worth considering. Then there is yoke vs. DIN. Each has it merits. If you don't travel and have your own tanks, DIN is fine but if you travel or rent tanks, yoke tanks are much easier to find. You can get adapter but they are a pain and IMO not as good an option as a yoke reg for those who rent tanks or travel a lot.

Get a DIN reg if you use DIN tanks and a yoke reg if you use yoke tanks. Other than that, either will doubtlessly work quite well. There's no rocket science to scuba regulators, most are more than sufficient. There is, however, a huge amount of hype associated with the marketing of regulators.

I started off with DIN and never looked back. I dive hp's mostly, and the two lp's I do have are fitted with the pro valve with the insert removed.
I have traveled to other sites in the US, and the few times I used the DIN to yoke adaptor was not an issue.
If you travel overseas you will see more DIN than yoke.
You can always convert DIN to yoke (via adaptor), but not the other way around.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom