Which skills during DIR-F?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, it might make sense to share workloads, and it's probably more capable of accomplishment in the longer course format. But we only had two days, and the instructor split the class into experienced guys and novices. And I am not trying to say that I would have passed if I'd had the experienced guys as buddies, because I wouldn't have. But I would have performed better.

I'm only saying that the people you do the classes with can put you into situations where there just isn't any way to win, and those moments might be times when the very finest shine, but they are definitely times when the weaker but still okay student might get overloaded and look significantly worse than necessary.

It's not a problem if you can come back, as I could, and work with the instructor again and do checkout dives. I think it's much more a problem for those people flying someone in to give a class. Those are also the people who are determined to master all the skills before the instructor gets there, because they really have only one chance to pass.

BTW: Do you dive in Hemmoor?

Not yet, but it's definitely on the list. Hopefully there will be a DIR-NL trip out there that I can make sometime this year.

Right now focus on finding out who the other students that have signed up for the class are. Once you do that, make sure they all have better skills than you do.

Heh, I've been trying to train them but there just isn't enough time :D

Fortunately, I've dived with a couple of them and they are pretty good - less experienced with the DIR skills, but good buoyancy control, working back-kicks, etc. The final student is a bit of an unknown quantity - I probably won't get to dive with him before the course.

Right now focus on finding out who the other students that have signed up for the class are. Once you do that, make sure they all have better skills than you do. There is nothing worse than teaming up with a struggling diver during the class. It could make or break your pass if that is your goal. I am being a little sarcastic here and no offence to my Fundies classmates, but I feel that with the right buddy, I may have gotten the tech pass.

I disagree. I shot the video of this class and saw everything. I know what you are saying, Allen, in your challenges with the buddy you had. But personally, I don't think that your particular instructor would have given you the tech pass under any circumstances - even though, IMO, you did deserve it. The buddy you had was a convenient reason.

I don't think that your particular instructor would have given you the tech pass under any circumstances - even though, IMO, you did deserve it.

Now Rick, you can't just say something like that and leave it hanging!! Did Allen talk about the instructor's sister or something?

But personally, I don't think that your particular instructor would have given you the tech pass under any circumstances - even though, IMO, you did deserve it. The buddy you had was a convenient reason.

Huh? Spill the dirt :confused:

I disagree. I shot the video of this class and saw everything. I know what you are saying, Allen, in your challenges with the buddy you had. But personally, I don't think that your particular instructor would have given you the tech pass under any circumstances - even though, IMO, you did deserve it. The buddy you had was a convenient reason.

Man! This guy has my back in and out of the water. We have officially carried the team concept to activities outside of diving. Just a little scary!

Unfortunatly I got the impression that a Tech pass was not in the cards also. That is not to say my instructor didn't point out some issues... he did. The class was well worth the money and time.

Surely it would be up to the instructor to share/rotate the workloads and watch each diver for THEIR merits? I find it disconcerting to read this from you Lynne. It seems to indicate that the system/instructor is not able to identify individual merits and performance, especially in a team setting at such a basic level

Well it appears that some may and some don't, but who am I to say?

I'm surprised about all this matter about having good, bad, better or worse diving buddys.
I suggest to don't miss the point, FOCUS ON LEARN, NOT IN PASS or reach the tec, if you're just pointing to the tec pass you're gonna miss a lot of advantages to have a gue instructor in front of you.

I'm surprised about all this matter about having good, bad, better or worse diving buddys.
I suggest to don't miss the point, FOCUS ON LEARN, NOT IN PASS or reach the tec, if you're just pointing to the tec pass you're gonna miss a lot of advantages to have a gue instructor in front of you.

I completely agree! Unfortunately, we are a goal based society and achievement is often measured by cards and certifications, especially in the diving industry for some reason. GUE certifications seem to have become important to people because they actually mean something. It almost appears that GUE has created an environment where the certification is a big part of the training - the very thing they claim to dislike about the other dive agencies. As for myself, I really don't need another card, but the challenge can be rewarding and a fantastic learning experience therefore hopefully providing me the tools to become a better/safer diver. That is exactly what Fundies accomplished.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom