Which wing for Transpac?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You must be confused or thinking about something else. Perhaps the Rec wing plus the weight pockets and a crotch strap is a bit much for tropical diving, but since when is a stripped down harness rig like a TP2 with a compact 30# wing and no integrated weight pockets overkill and not streamlined. What about it is not streamlined?

First the travel wing is useless, then it is overkill for the tropics, get real.

By the way, the Balance is a great BC, but in the larger sizes it has a too much for tropical 50# wing. Some of my other favorites are the Zeagle Escape and the Mares Jubilee.

You misunderstood me. Yes the "travel wing is useless" and in general the TPII is "overkill for the tropics"

I love the thing, like I said, but to have a "bc" that can't even be mounted on to a tank when it's in the holder on a lot of dive boats, is OVERKILL. The especially becomes a pain when on a cattle boat with 20 other divers and thier gear.

(hard to explain here) but with the dual straps in back you can't mount the bc up to the tank easily when on the boat. Not all boats but it's happend to me a few times. Not the end of the world but an inconvienience none the less. It really is designed for a heavier work load.

YES of course it WILL work... but it's not the most efficient choice, and that's just all there is to it. I've owned it for quite some time, I've used it all over the world and it has it's application.

Stripping it down to nothing and strapping a 30lb wing on is just a joke. I'd laugh at ya, thats for sure. :wink:

You are completely and totally wrong.

It is pathetic that the only thing that you can find to complain about is the dual tank strap system that is common to all soft pack BC's, including several lightweight models aimed directly at the tropical market. Every once in a while I run across that kind of tank rack, but they are not all that common.

You may be a troll, because you continuilly use logic that contradicts itself and your attitude is miserable at best.

It is I who will be laughing at you due to your broken thought processes and narrow view of diving. Perhaps you have found yourself on too many cattle boats because that is where you belong.

.....as I started this thread I guess I should say something.

We are all agreed that the Transpac is a wonderfully comfortable and streamlined solution whatever the conditions, Agreed ?

We accept that the dual bands give security and flexibility at the expense of momentary inconvenience on the minority of dive situations, i.e. cattle boats, agreed ?

Having the same harness and varying the wing gives you more flexibility in the long run, especially when you consider I was going to spend £300 on a bc for tropical conditions and later about the same for tech, instead I got the TPII inc Travel wing for £300 and can get another wing for £140, i.e. it is a flexible and affordable solution, agreed ?

The travel wing is optimised for the travelling, warm water, single tank diver, i.e. me at this moment, the Rec wing is a dual purpose wing that is designed with singles and doubles in mind, Agreed ?

To sum up....
Wheezy your question....
" If you were doing tropical diving with little or no gear then it would be o.k., but I honestly think that if your buying a TPII, why on earth would you use it for such an application?"

can be answered by..

If you have a TPII for general diving, why not use it for Tropical diving ? I get the impression you do.

or alternatively.

I own a motorcycle, it is a ducati, it is overkill for just going to the shops but is wonderful on twisty roads, it is my only means of transport, therefore I use it to go to the shops and enjoy every second. If I bought another bike, or a car just to go to the shops then it may be more pratcical (arguably) but it would cost a lot more and wouldn't be as much fun.

I am now the owner of a TPII and travel wing, I aim to enjoy it, I will tell you if I don't.

to drive 1.5 miles to the gym.

Even BC's with single straps can be a PITA to set up on certain tank racks where the plastic gadget that holds the tank in place happens to be exactly at the same level as the camband.

There is absolutely nothing about the TPII that makes it less than optimal for tropical diving, unless someone's idea of the ideal tropical BC is a jacket. Heck, the genius of the design is that it works so well anywhere.

See this re the travel wing:

http://www.divernet.com/gear/dtst1098.htm#wings

It is a very strong endorsement from a very picky reviewer who is not afraid to write bad reports when he needs to. My feeling is that someone around here was not thinking, stuck his foot in it, and continues to dig himself deeper under a pile of BS.

Which Ducati, you lucky dog you...

... Thats the review that made me sure enough to buy. It was the only solution that left me in no doubt I would enjoy diving in it.

Bike wise, I ride an ST2 (red of course), its one of the sports tourers so not quite as flash as the 9** series but is more than enough fun for me. It seems to keep turning up on American films and movies so I get the impression it was quite well recieved.

Leadweight

O.K. just because you don't have the money for more than one bc is no need for personal attacks. The things you've said are all YOU OPINIONS,,, NOT FACTS.

The TPII IS NOT IDEAL FOR TROPICS. It's NOT a streamlined bc. Thats like saying my F150 supercrew is aerodynamic. Who are you kidding... It's a workhorse not a cruiser

I've worked my ass off to become successfull; at the age of 25 I could buy and sell you at least a few times over. Point being I have quite a few setups. The TPII made it on ONE tropical vacation. Kauai in August. It did perform well, BUT was still way more bc than needed. I'd prefer a vest style for casual tropical diving. Thats MY OPINION.

I dive weekly, I use a lot of different gear. When I'm at 160' in the hull of a ship with an extra 60lbs of lights, reels, and tools I'll argue that the TPII is the best out there... even against setups like the OMS. ITS MY OPINION.

GET REAL?? how about get a better job so you can afford more equipment. How many bc's have you used? I'll guess ONE... the TPII of course.

Get a clue. If you buy even ONE piece of equipment because of a review, your a fool. I buy equipment that I've used and know works for the "SPECIFIC" application that it was designed for.

Like in Newport Beach where I live, quite a few guys that think because it's expensive it's the best.

CONOR: Super sweet bike. I picked up a brand spanking new 749s. I race moto here is SoCal (KTM's for the dirt Ducati for the Road) It's a breed above the rest that's for sure.

Wheezy,

So how is life in the slums of Newport Beach? Bet its like the dingbats of Beverly Hills.

Go ahead and dive your vest, but you stuck your foot in the poop first. To say that the TPII is not streamlined is the ranting of a fool. There is nothing on it, how could it be anything else but streamlined. It might not be with your big wing on it, but that is where your immature mind is confused.

The rest of your rantings are so debased that they do not merit answering. However I find it an amazing coincidence that you would own a rare bike like a Duk, so amazing that it might just be made up.

I must laugh at you, the more you squirm, the deeper you sink into the quicksand of your own contradictions. Next time you are deep in a wreck you will not be able to avoid thinking of me, it will ruin your dive.

So then back to the discussion, how many bc's have you even used?

I just don't find the TP to be an optimal piece of equipment for a casual tropic dive. If you think I'm fool because of that opinion, well we obviously have a big difference of opinion.

I don't think I'll loose anysleep over a dive forum... buy maybee you never know :wink: don't get to worked up, don't want you to have a heart attack or anything like that.

Mr.I drive a BMW

Your a little hypocritical, seems I'm not the only one who thinks you come across like an ass either.

Back
Top Bottom