White Star Quarry Rentals and Tips

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gajahduduk

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm interested in diving White Star Quarry for the first time with my son, maybe tomorrow, which is a Saturday.

We don't have cold water dive gear (for the most part) so would largely be renting. We understand the gear is first come first serve, but can anyone offer an assessment of how likely getting nearly full sets for two would be on a weekend? I'd hate to drive out all that way and find no gear left. If it tends to run out, by what time?

Can you rent dry suits (and undergarments)? If so do you need to be dry suit certified to rent it?

Any other tips for first timers? Bring lunch? Plan to do 2 or more dives or just one? Bring cash for entry fee?

I’m almost positive they don’t rent drysuits. You have to be drysuit certified to rent anyway. There are buoyancy issues you have to know how to deal with.

I’ve never rented gear there, but common sense tells you that on a nice Saturday in the summer, get there early.

Cash or check for entry fee. $20/person. It goes in a kiosk that’s separate from the scuba kiosk.

Best to bring all your own food and drink. I often do two dives.

They do not rent drysuits, that I know of at least. 7mm farmer John's and other wetsuits are what they have for stock. Rentals vary greatly from day to day and on the time of year, they do have a limited amount of stock so I would recommend being there when they open(0800) to make sure you are able to rent what you need.

Cash is needed for the dive fee, $20 if memory serves me. There is a subway and a few diner type places nearby if you wanted to not pack food, I usually bring my own though.

Surface temps are nice, upper 60s last weekend when I was there, but the thermocline is drastic. ~20' and temps were in the high 40s.

Diving more than once will depend on how well you keep warm and how quickly you warm up on your surface interval.

If you end up diving 2 days there I will be at white star Sunday for some diving. If you want we can do some dives together.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220617-195102_Shearwater.jpg
    Screenshot_20220617-195102_Shearwater.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 82
Just checked the website and it says the scuba concession opens at 8 in June. So be there when they open.

Next time, to be sure of getting gear, rent a local dive shop. You’ll have to pay for weekend rental, but that way you’d be sure if getting gear.

I’ll be there on Sunday with my family. This is our first time going without a guide holding our hand. Should be interesting.

@Jhgt2d how was the water clarity? I was there in late summer last year and it was bad. I’m hoping it’s good now so my family enjoys the dives.

If you want easy dives, just follow the walls. Enough to look at with the rocks and dead trees and such.

@MikeinAA vis at white star is always not great. 15'-20' is about the best you can expect this time of year and it will go lower depending on the number of people there that day.

@MikeinAA vis at white star is always not great. 15'-20' is about the best you can expect this time of year and it will go lower depending on the number of people there that day.
Should I go to Gilboa instead. I haven’t been there before but if clarity is better and that makes the family happier …

Is Gilboa colder?

Should I go to Gilboa instead. I haven’t been there before but if clarity is better and that makes the family happier …

Is Gilboa colder?
Gilboa is about the same temperature profile, maybe a little colder if you go deeper. The clarity at gilboa is usually pretty good, 30'-50' or more depending on which side(deep or shallow) you are diving. It also depends on how many people are there, vis can drop down to less than 20' on days with several open water classes.

I don't know your or your family's experience level but gilboa definitely has the potential for a higher risk factor. Gilboa has a ledge that will drop you down to 100'+ where white star bottoms out at 40'-45' over the vast majority of the quarry and 75' or so in the crusher pit.

I will be at gilboa tomorrow and white star Sunday. If you were interested in doing some diving with a random person from the Internet.

Back
Top Bottom