Whitecliff seal chewing on everything

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jeckyll

Contributor
Reaction score
I've never had the type of interaction that we had on this evenings dive.

First, the seal bit Bob on the suit and pushed him. Then started chewing his fins. Then came around and stuck it's nose right on my light (I was really hoping it wouldn't try to chew my drygloves at this point). Then back to chewing his and my fins.

Got to be hard to swim with the seal constantly hanging on to his or my fins...

This is the younger one with the slightly darker colour. If I do the math right, it's about 1 and a bit years old, maybe those are the teenage years for a seal :)

Those whytecliff seals are something else aren't they? They love to hunt with your lights and play with your fins.

Ryan and I had a similar experience at Ansell last year. Got to be quite annoying after a while and kind of ruined to dive looking for critters/fish. It even came into the shallows while we were trying to get our fins off and get out.

Les:
Ryan and I had a similar experience at Ansell last year. Got to be quite annoying after a while and kind of ruined to dive looking for critters/fish. It even came into the shallows while we were trying to get our fins off and get out.

Les, this seal surfaced about 4 feet from Bob in the shallows and stuck around a bit there too (to the delight of some of the people on shore).

It is cool for the first minute, then it does get annoying.

swankenstein:
Just bring a camera. Then no seals will show up. It's the same with sharks.

LOL. I don't own one

But i have heard of similar phenomenon. :wink:

It's so true. I always see the cool stuff when there is no camera around. When there is a camera...nothin'.

I like the Whytecliff seals. I find them cute and entertaining. Like the puppies of the sea, really.

Les:
OK thats it Bjorn, I'll just have to go diving with you again!(and bring my camera) LOL

As long as it's high tide, I'm willing to risk it.

My knee's holding together ... sort of :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom