White's fusion?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aussie82

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
So I currently don't have a drysuit and I'm looking at a used White's Fusion. Is this considered DIR or GUE compliant? For people that are DIR, thoughts on this drysuit? I would love to be able to afford a MTM DUI or Santi suit but it just isn't in the budget right now.

Thanks
Alastair

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, if you look through the equipment sections on the GUE site, or through the teaching materials, you won't find a list of required characteristics for dry suits. I think, in general, it is encouraged to have a dry suit that dries quickly and is self-donning, and of course, one must have pockets. Some GUE instructors dislike separate rock boot type footgear, as it can part company with the suit under the wrong conditions.

I have worn my Fusion through a number of GUE classes. I use the Sport Skin and X-shorts, and the only comment was David's dry remark, when I forgot to put them on, that they work fine unless you don't wear them. Using the tech skin will give you built-in pockets, but they don't hold enough for cave diving, and the GUE approach is that whatever you do, it should scale into any diving you choose in the future.

I know of one GUE instructor who loathes the suits, so it might be reasonable to contact the person with whom you intend to study, to find out if he has strong feelings on the subject.

I like my Fusion, and feel that it is an excellent, functional dry suit and far more durable than the DUIs that so many DIR folks pay through the nose for. But I have had to "manage" some of the disadvantages, like putting TurboSoles on my suit. I just bought a new Fusion with the tech skin, and I will use that at home, but switch to the Sport skin and X-shorts for cave diving.

I REALLY hope I don't ruffle any feathers here, since I respect and like everyone here.

I was trained by the instructor that has issues with the Fusion, (a guy in my class had one), and when objectively laid out, (which they were), I agree with the issues. (And I'm hoping I don't offend you here, Lynne, you're one of my most respected posters.) The issues are not "brand-specific", but "specification-specific". I won't go into it here, but it was compelling and I agreed with it.

Owning-up, up front: I dive a DUI, but mostly because my local shop was a DUI dealer (only DUI), and I had just done a DOG Days and was digging on DUI. I bought one, it worked out. I own a TLS-350, (apparently the most hated and evil drysuit in existence and one that is allegedly made entirely of leaks and cold.)

That said, mine's been watertight from day one, and I stay warm with the proper insulation. Please don't think this is a "DUI v. Fusion" deal. Our instructor put my DUI next to the Fusion and went point-by-point why the DUI, (or another trilaminate-style suit) was preferred by him. It made sense and was extremely well-thought out and borne out by his experience. I deferred to his experience and knowledge.

That said, as much as he allegedly "loathes" the suits, he never gave the guy diving one in our class a hard time or made an issue of it. If anything, the guy diving it gave himself a hard time by under-inflating it. He constantly dove with a constant "20-foot squeeze" to, in his own words, "make life easier on myself." He had major issues in class, to include going hypothermic on the last OW dive and requiring minor aid. (Though that was HIS fault, not the suit's fault.)

I hope this is message is OK. Thank you.

I've owned a Fusion and a TLS. I needed to only keep one as a travel / back up suit. For what it's worth, I sold the TLS. I kept the suit I preferred. For local, cold water diving, I still think a compressed neo suit can't be beat.

I was trained by the instructor that has issues with the Fusion, (a guy in my class had one), and when objectively laid out, (which they were), I agree with the issues. (And I'm hoping I don't offend you here, Lynne, you're one of my most respected posters.) The issues are not "brand-specific", but "specification-specific". I won't go into it here, but it was compelling and I agreed with it.

If the issues are so compelling, you should go into them here.

One of the objections I have heard is that the instructor cannot tell where the student is carrying the bubble in the suit, which impedes diagnosis of buoyancy and trim issues. That may well be true.

I have also heard an objection that one cannot maintain good buoyancy or trim in the Fusion. I can only speak from my experience, but although I have had many problems with my GUE classes, my buoyancy and trim have not been an issue in any class I have taken in the Fusion. (I don't think the suit is responsible for my situational awareness problems!)

As others have said, most importantly, if you are taking a class, talk to your instructor. My personal thoughts on the subject come from the fact that I own both a TLS350 and a Fusion with the Bullet Skin. I bought the Fusion first then fell in love with the TLS350 at a DUI Dog Days, too, and ended up *having* to get one :D.

With regards to the Fusion, my issues are two fold: the primary issue is that it is a royal PIA to put it on. This is more of an issue during classes and dive trips where - for whatever reason - you need to don and doff several times. If you are going to get a Fusion, get a P-valve, no question. The second issue is that I tend to trap air in my feet a lot worse in the Fusion than in the TLS350. Now I've probably only got around 60 dives in a drysuit now, so that could well be user error! Other than that, I haven't personally experienced other buoyancy or stability issues with the Fusion.

With regards to the TLS: It is my primary suit. If I was cold I'd get thicker undergarments. I LOVE the buoyancy characteristics! I don't find it easier or more difficult to "manage the bubble" but I just like the suit! However I do seem to keep having an issue with the shoulder valve leaking. I'm keeping the White's as a backup bc it's a good suit once I get in it, as long as I am very careful about the gas in my feet.

I have been using the Fusion Tech for a year and a half and I have not had any problem with it. When I bought it, the Tech came without pockets (but the Limited did or vise versa but mine has no pocket). So I added a Scubapro low profile front pouch that is slipped into my belt straddling my crotch strap. It has two compartments, in the small one I carry my knife, in the large one my lift bag. I added a pouch on the left side of my belt by my left D-ring. In this one I carry spare mask, finger spools, etc.

Considering buying the XScuba shorts with pockets but not there yet as I presently have enough storage area for what I do.

With regards to the Fusion, my issues are two fold: the primary issue is that it is a royal PIA to put it on. This is more of an issue during classes and dive trips where - for whatever reason - you need to don and doff several times. If you are going to get a Fusion, get a P-valve, no question.

This is just a matter of technique & practice. It takes me about 90 seconds to don a Fusion.

I'v also never bothered with a "p" valve. I find when my body is dry, rather than immersed in water, I don't have the same need to "p".

The second issue is that I tend to trap air in my feet a lot worse in the Fusion than in the TLS350.
@katepnatl: I'm going to assume that you are in a horizontal position at depth when experiencing air-trapping in the feet. If that's the case, try straightening your legs out and/or breaking trim to squeeze the air out of your feet...then return to a horizontal position with knees bent.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom