White's fusion?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I love/hate my Fusion and use it as my travel/warm water suit and coldwater backup with Fusion rockboots.

My primary (cold water) suit is a Bare compressed neoprene with attached boots.

I've managed to come out of my boots once -- in the Bare. I've never had an issue with coming out of the rockboots, even when they've come untied.

Entry/exit -- honestly, about the same for both.

Since I don't claim to be GUE/DIR "compliant" I won't make any statements on that.

A couple of months ago I taught a class of 5 OW students who did their dives in dry suits -- 2 bilam, 2 DUI, 1 Fusion. All I can report is that the kid in the Fusion had the most success with learning/using the suit.

And yes, IT IS PERSONAL PREFERENCE that is the key -- along with body style.

So I currently don't have a drysuit and I'm looking at a used White's Fusion. Is this considered DIR or GUE compliant? For people that are DIR, thoughts on this drysuit?

Just a note for the non-DIR replies

Since I don't claim to be GUE/DIR "compliant" I won't make any statements on that.

A couple of months ago I taught a class of 5 OW students who did their dives in dry suits -- 2 bilam, 2 DUI, 1 Fusion. All I can report is that the kid in the Fusion had the most success with learning/using the suit.

And yes, IT IS PERSONAL PREFERENCE that is the key -- along with body style.

Well since the OP is worried about the DIRness of it then you shouldnt try the whole "IM NOT DIR SO DONT CALL ME THAT" approach. Also, that your class had an assortment of drysuits and only one kid got it right says nothing about the suits AT ALL.

Its more fit than anything. Sometimes the fusion fits people great and sometimes it doesnt (based on multiple anecdotal stories from people I know have owned and dived the suit). To the OP: you should try one on if you can before buying one, or perhaps you should try and find a used DUI or Santi you can pick up.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I will send an email to the GUE instructor (Guy Shockey) I know and get his thoughts. I have dove a Fusion before and can get local support for it. I can also get local suppport for DUI for that matter. This is a rather large gear purchase for me so I want to try to get it right the first time. I will keep an eye out for a used DUI. Also just as a note, the Fusion I'm looking at has the semi attached boots and the larger legs. It is just the sport skin.

Alastair

I dive the fusion with a sport skin and its is a great suit but......... purely due to my body shape I'm right at the top of 2xxl/3xxl and with very broad shoulders.

I can get in on my own and zip up though getting shoulders in is a contortion challenge that gets easier with practice. Getting out is ok apart from my feet by I am "Big Foot" so purely due to my body again.

I may change suit and if I did it would not be a DUI but rather a Santi E-lite. Better made suit and can be bought made to measure for very little extra. Pockets are great from the get go and aren't an extra either!! A lot more durable suit as well from what I can research. Far to many DUI suits are "Dry Until Immersed" for my liking........

YMMV

I was one of the early Fusion adopters ... In fairness, many of the things I found objectionable about the Fusion have since been "fixed" by redesign ... I'm told that the newer designs are a breeze to get into and out of ... Bob (Grateful Diver)
I'm not an experienced DS diver and the Fusion Bullet is all I've dived. I haven't anything to personally compare, but you are correct about the redesigned fixes. I can get into and out of my Fusion as easy as my 5mm wetsuit.

Thanks for the replies everyone...Also just as a note, the Fusion I'm looking at has the semi attached boots and the larger legs. It is just the sport skin. Alastair
My Bullet has the semi attached boots and pockets and they work good so far. I haven't had any bubble control, floaty feet, donning/doffing issues, etc. I haven't had the opportunity to make as many dives as I would like with it, but; it seemed very intuitive and easy for me so far. I didn't take a class, just did a little research and hit the quarry. Maybe not the best approach, but it worked. The suit was that easy for me. YMMV:)

There is the issue about the design being "Rockboot only", where Rockboots are not compliant. I have Rockboots with my suit, but they are getting changed over to Turbosoles soon.

It's not that rock boots aren't "compliant". Some instructors feel that the rock boots limit foot and ankle movement, which in turn can hinder fine fin movement and control. Th

Adding to Henrik's advice... swapping Rockboots for a pair of neoprene dive boots will quickly restore some ankle flexibility, without the cost of converting to Turbosoles. However, Turbosoles dry faster for travel than neoprene boots.

Not to hijack the thread but why is it that DIR drysuits should be self donning if in DIR you never dive with out a buddy? In dir you should always have someone to zip you up? NO? Just a little confused here.

My primary suit is a rear zip. I wore it through all my GUE classes and none of my three instructors ever bothered to comment on it. I can reach valves just fine. I don't solo dive. My buddies aren't dicks.

If you have the money, I'd still recommend a front zip, as a rear-zip *can* reduce mobility for some. For a first suit or a good deal (especially if you can try before you buy), a rear zip might suit you fine.

I didn't realize that back zips restricted movement, I guess I just thought back zips were simpler and less complicated which would fit into DIR better.

I didn't realize that back zips restricted movement, I guess I just thought back zips were simpler and less complicated which would fit into DIR better.

Again, a rear zip can *potentially* reduce mobility. Dry zippers aren't exactly pliable objects. Having it run right across the back of your shoulders certainly isn't going to increase your range of motion. :)

I've been fine with mine, but I know others who have had issues.

In any case, my point is, GUE does not *require* a front zip suit.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom