Who certifies Open Water divers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SED

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Procedures differ between agencies with respect to which instructor signs the certification for Open Water divers. Is it the Class&Pool or Open Water checkout instructor or any variation thereof that does the deed for:

ACUC
CMAS
NAUI
PDIC
SDI
and SSI

I'm familiar with PADI procedures.

Not interested in igniting anything, just want to know.

For participants in the Universal Refferal Program (IDEA, NASDS*, NAUI, PDIC, SSI and YMCA**), the paperwork comes back to the originating shop from the referral instructor, and the instructor who did the classroom/pool goes on the card. If the trainee does checkout dives with the same shop as classroom/pool, they can do it either way, but it's usually the instructor doing the checkout dives - especially if there's a big class where one instructor is doing the classroom, a few are doing the pool and several are doing the checkouts.
IXΘYΣ
*NASDS is now included in SSI
**don't know if CMAS will take YMCA's place here or not, but I expect they will

I had been led to believe that the organizations you listed had clearly defined which instructor got the cert.

I know PADI designates the Open Water instructor as certifier, while ACUC sets the classroom instructor. Does anyone know for sure what SSI does?

Surprising to see that some agencies leave it to the training centers to decide who writes up the student.

SEI, which is replacing the YMCA program presently requires the referring instructor to fill out the paperwork and issue the cards. We send the referral with the student, the instructor who does the checkouts fills it out and it is returned to the issuing instructor. And we do have instructors in California. I'd have to check my list for any in LA.

Let's back up a bit.

I appreciate what happens under a Universal or Global referral, but what are the basic certifying agency procedures? No changes in agency from class/pool though to final cert card.

I understand that handing a student off to another Open Water check-out Instructor within one agency is indeed a referral, but it's not necessarily a Universal referral.

Assuming several instructors are involved in confined water, theory and Open Water sections, who signs the certification documents?

JimLap, I take it from your message that SEI (nee YMCA) stipulates the Class/Pool instructor as the certifying instructor.

If we could now focus on CMAS, SSI, NAUI, SDI AND PDIC, it would help me understand the differences between agencies better.

My thanks to everyone who has contributed.

With PADI, the instructor that does the final (OW Dive #4) OW check-out dive is the certifying instructor. Not just the instructor doing "the open water dives".

Rachel

Please stick to the certifying agencies listed. I am acquainted with PADI standards.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom