Who has ditched a weight belt and why?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This should be an interesting topic.

Chad

PS That don't count Sydney_Diver

I've had to ditch other weight belts on 3 occasions.
The first was in early 1996 when I was working as a DiveMaster.
The instructor lead the group and I was the caboose. One of the students had a side exhaust regulator that "Naturally" started to flood on him then his mask started to flood and then to top it off his weight belt had shifted. He was freaking out pretty good. He was trying to mess with the mask and weight belt and tossing his head around trying to breath. I grabbed the mask and held on to it. That problem solved, at the same time clear his side exhaust reg for him, now he has air and the "emergency" is over, NEXT..The weights...THIS was a big big man and he had a 7mm on with hood and gloves (Yes it's on open water class). I couldn't get his weight belt back on him to save my life so....I took it and we came on up. Upon reaching the surface I safely dropped the weight belt back down when I new all divers were out of the area.

The 2nd time was at Laurel Lake. I was diving with 2 other divers and it was a pleasure dive. One of the divers was paralyzed from the lower chest down. But had been diving since the late 60's and was about perfect in the water. He had webbed gloves and it was always a pleasure to take him diving. Well, I stopped at 25 ft. and gave the OK and they gave me the OK back. Stopped at 50 ft. and gave the OK and they gave me the OK back. Stopped at 75 ft. and gave the OK and Ray (Paralyzed) had his hands around his throught then was trying to climb out of the water. We determined later the wieght belt had somehow shifted up into his rib cage where he had NO feeling and the belt pinched off his ability to inhale. I Dumped his belt as soon as we hit the surface and it's still at Laurel Lakes Dam beach area.

The 3rd was again at Laurel Lake Dam. I was pleasure diving with another instructor and 2 divemasters. I saw and recognized yet another instructor out in the water with a pair of students. I waved and said hello. A while later he and a student hit the surface like the red october...I said "Man, I guess ***** has a rescue class going on" I then said "You need help"...There was no response, I said again..."YOU NEED HELP". Then he screamed for us to get the Oxygen..... So we dispatched accordingly..One to the phone..one to the O2 and myself and Jeremy swam out to assist ***** in this real life rescue. Once we had reached her the weight belt was still on this unconsicous diver and we immediately released. We did later find this weight belt.

Everybody in all 3 accidents a fine now. The lady in the last accident was unconcicous for about 30-45 minutes and had drown. Rescue breaths at the surface brought her back to us. She is VERY VERY lucky.

I hope I am never in anything like this ever ever again.

CincyBengalsFan once bubbled...
THIS was a big big man and he had a 7mm on with hood and gloves (Yes it's on open water class). I couldn't get his weight belt back on him to save my life so....I took it and we came on up. Upon reaching the surface I safely dropped the weight belt back down when I new all divers were out of the area.

How did you control the ascent rate of the first diver?

I new someone would ask that. I held on to him TIGHT with while holding onto his belt.

Cincy, do you feel in these circumstances and in retrospect that ditching was the right thing to do?

The reason i'm asking is that i keep hearing differing opinions on the need for ditchable weight, how much, etc. and i'd like to hear real world scenarios as to when it actually would be necessary, not some theoretical situations that aren't realistic.

I currently dont even use a weight belt (with steel, aluminum, singles or doubles, wet or dry) and I'm very interested in in the true need for ditchable weight. I absolutely love not having a weightbelt, i have to say. Even if i went to an aluminum backplate, the ditchable weight that would result would be very minimal to the point of potentially not being any benefit. I can swim full doubles up quite well so that doesn't seem to be an issue.

steve

The weight belt is the only "negative" piece of equipment in more ways than one, and the most common cause of drownings of divers on the surface who have difficulty staying afloat. Most drownings of divers who managed to come to the surface and then drowned never ditched their weight belts on the surface when in trouble and when still had the chance, the weight belts were still on the divers when recovered. "Better Lead than Dead". Dump it when in trouble on the surface.

Good point, I can certainly see solving some surface issues being a benefit with ditchable weight.

I've also been concerned on more than one occasion that i might lose my weight belt as well (as i'm sure many others have) due to slippage etc. I also see this as a real danger point regarding ditchable weights. I've also lost weight from a pocket that wasn't completely zipped on an old ranger i had and found myself slightly positive.

steve

We were at the 30 ft. range and if at all possible I would have tried to correct his weight belt. BUT there was JUST NO WAY at that point. I'm glad I held onto his belt until we reached the surface. I do wish we emphasized more on weight belt removals and replacements in the pool.

Back
Top Bottom