Who is diving after Covid?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got sick in April last year. 3 days of mild fever, 2 days of both muscle soreness and taste/olfactory malfunction. Went back to playing football about 2 weeks after symptoms went away. Diving 2 weeks after that. Started shallow and worked my way down.
Didn't see any need to go to doc since my respiratory system looked working fine, apart from 3 weeks inactivity loses.

I was on a liveaboard in the Bahamas over Christmas and COVID made its way through the boat.
I tested positive on Jan 1, was able to return to Canada Jan 15, and was ice diving Feb 17/18.
My COVID symptoms were gone by Jan 5 or so, but Canadian post-COVID border regulations kept me in the Bahamas until the 15th.
It was admittedly not exactly diving season here at home. The Feb 17/18 ice diving weekend was the first diving opportunity after my return home.
Felt like a completely normal dive. Any chills were only because I was ice diving. :wink:

I have a friend who has not dived post covid. Says her lungs aren't fully recovered and has not been cleared for scuba. Will be interesting to see what they tell her and where else this thread goes.

btw - She tells me DAN won't insure her and the dive op won't take her diving until she's cleared.

I have a friend who has not dived post covid. Says her lungs aren't fully recovered and has not been cleared for scuba. Will be interesting to see what they tell her and where else this thread goes.

btw - She tells me DAN won't insure her and the dive op won't take her diving until she's cleared.

Not that I’m saying she or her physician is right or wrong for their stance - what are the metrics a physician is using to established her lungs are or are not “fully recovered”? Peak flow, SpO2, incentive spirometer, perceived shortness of breath with activity?

I’m curious what the reasoning is so I can then understand the reasoning for declaring someone fully recovered to dive.

Is there any concrete evidence that Covid caused this?

The first case was the opinion of the physician that examined the kid who is now paralyzed. The second case I don't have detailed information about but he had COVID and lung rupture. The other cases that were known in the country were known to have had COVID. It is very unusual to have these types of injuries/deaths and the common theme is COVID with them.

I've twice contracted Covid and went diving shortly afterwards and didn't get any form of DCS.

Most folks who DWD don't get into accidents killing others on their first time DUI but the ones that do, and many do, commit horrible tragedies. It catches up with them as they continue to DUI.

Fact is that a lot is unknown about COVID and its long term affects on human physiology and diving is even less.

Not that I’m saying she or her physician is right or wrong for their stance - what are the metrics a physician is using to established her lungs are or are not “fully recovered”? Peak flow, SpO2, incentive spirometer, perceived shortness of breath with activity?

I’m curious what the reasoning is so I can then understand the reasoning for declaring someone fully recovered to dive.

Her direct quotes, again this is all I know, but then found this thread

"The concern is if I have scaring in the lungs which will trap air bubbles. They need to do an MRI to check."

"I know. I hope I’m able to dive again. Living in FL has definitely helped my breathing. My O2 has gone from mid 80’s to low to mid 90’s"

And

"It could but they need to check. Who knows how long I would need. DAN won’t insure me until I’m approved and the dive op won’t take me"

Two weeks after recovering from Covid I returned to diving. Had difficulty equalizing my ears in my first dive. Didn't have any issues after that day.

I got Covid in June while in Malta on a technical wreck diving trip.

I took about 4 weeks off from diving and happened to have my annual physical scheduled about a month after I got Covid.

Since then, I've done some relatively deep dives with some long deco obligations and have not had any lingering issues.

- brett

Can you quote a citation for this info?
maybe this will help, a little?

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom