Who is diving after Covid?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The first case was the opinion of the physician that examined the kid who is now paralyzed. The second case I don't have detailed information about but he had COVID and lung rupture. The other cases that were known in the country were known to have had COVID. It is very unusual to have these types of injuries/deaths and the common theme is COVID with them.
Undoubtedly tragic.

Without all the info it's not possible to discuss this.

Most folks who DWD don't get into accidents killing others on their first time DUI but the ones that do, and many do, commit horrible tragedies. It catches up with them as they continue to DUI.

Fact is that a lot is unknown about COVID and its long term affects on human physiology and diving is even less.

Aside from your metaphor -- not appropriate -- far more people go diving who've had Covid and "survive" than tragically succumb to some DCS.

I've had covid and have done a lot of diving post covid without consequences. Maybe I'm just lucky? I don't think so; I follow the decompression algorithms and, amazingly, I don't get DCS.

Can’t speak for others

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

People, people, people. Please don't make me come back in here again.

Stick to the topic. This thread is not in a general subforum, nor is it in the Pub.

maybe this will help, a little?
So, in your original post you claimed that excess global mortalities were higher than usual but were not related to Covid-19. Now you provide a source that explains that this is probably due to:

• Some (but not all) countries only report COVID-19 deaths that occur in hospitals — people that die from the disease at home may not be recorded;
  • Some countries only report deaths for which aCOVID-19 test has confirmed that a patient was infected with the virus — untested individuals may not be included;
  • Death reporting systems may be insufficient to accurately measure mortality — this is particularly true in poorer countries;
  • The pandemic may result in increased deaths from other causes for a number of reasons including weakened healthcare systems; fewer people seeking treatment for other health risks; or less available funding and treatment for other diseases (e.g. HIV/AIDS, malaria,tuberculosis);31
  • The pandemic may also result in fewer deaths from other causes. For example, the mobility restrictions during the pandemic might lead to fewer deaths from road accidents. Or there might be fewer deaths from the flu because of interventions to stop the spread of COVID-19, or because COVID-19 now causes deaths that would have otherwise been caused by the flu.
Do you not see that your cited article explains the excess mortality for the reasons above?

Off topic deletions have become required again.

I’ve had Covid 2x. Took me a few months before I felt right enough to dive, and I limited myself to relatively easy, shallow dives. 6 months later, I am my old self again.

Undoubtedly tragic.

Without all the info it's not possible to discuss this.

Aside from your metaphor -- not appropriate -- far more people go diving who've had Covid and "survive" than tragically succumb to some DCS.

I've had covid and have done a lot of diving post covid without consequences. Maybe I'm just lucky? I don't think so; I follow the decompression algorithms and, amazingly, I don't get DCS.

Can’t speak for others
and aren't DCS deaths pretty rare to begin with? most people don't have severe Covid complications, and most don't have severe DCS complications ie. mortality. at least that's what I thought.
ETA i can agree with @BoltSnap's metaphor though- if your health is weakened, and you keep doing things that are risky (like diving for the heart and lungs), eventually you will get hurt.

and aren't DCS deaths pretty rare to begin with? most people don't have severe Covid complications, and most don't have severe DCS complications ie. mortality. at least that's what I thought.
ETA i can agree with @BoltSnap's metaphor though- if your health is weakened, and you keep doing things that are risky (like diving for the heart and lungs), eventually you will get hurt.
We also don't really have any way of measuring how many people post-Covid are opting NOT to dive as a result of post-Covid feeling "not quite right", so just looking at the number of incidents now compared to pre-Covid doesn't tell us much if a significant number of the people who MIGHT have Covid-related issues are simply removing themselves from the sample set because they're feeling enough from post-Covid damage to decide they're just not ready to get back in the water.

(I don't mean people severe enough to be counted as having long Covid, I mean people who are simply applying "thumb the dive for any reason" logic and deciding they don't feel 100% so they're not going to do it. From personal experience with various health issues, there's a stage of having some problems where you know you feel off but can't put your finger on why, that's the sort of thing I'm talking about.)

This may NOT be a thing that's happening, as well - I'm just saying as far as I know we don't have great data either way to understand what the data we do have actually means. I know DAN does some data collection, but they're still dependent on people actually notifying them, I imagine?

We also don't really have any way of measuring how many people post-Covid are opting NOT to dive as a result of post-Covid feeling "not quite right", so just looking at the number of incidents now compared to pre-Covid doesn't tell us much if a significant number of the people who MIGHT have Covid-related issues are simply removing themselves from the sample set because they're feeling enough from post-Covid damage to decide they're just not ready to get back in the water.

(I don't mean people severe enough to be counted as having long Covid, I mean people who are simply applying "thumb the dive for any reason" logic and deciding they don't feel 100% so they're not going to do it. From personal experience with various health issues, there's a stage of having some problems where you know you feel off but can't put your finger on why, that's the sort of thing I'm talking about.)

This may NOT be a thing that's happening, as well - I'm just saying as far as I know we don't have great data either way to understand what the data we do have actually means. I know DAN does some data collection, but they're still dependent on people actually notifying them, I imagine?
yeah, in order for DAN to see how COVID affects DCS rates, incidents would have to be reported to them.

Despite numerous posts being deleted and despite numerous warnings, some of you continue to try to get around those warnings and post outside the lines. There have been more deletions.

Next there will be thread bans.

Please conduct yourselves accordingly.

I got covid in July. I got the shakes and a very mild cough (triple vaxxed). Did a 20m shore dive and then a 60m tech dive two weeks after all symptoms cleared and I'm fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom