Who is diving after Covid?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone still sharing regulators for OOA drills or only simulating it for someone who had Covid?

I took a class this past May and we discussed if we were all comfortable sharing regulators in class. If anyone wasn't comfortable than we would have simulated sharing.

I had covid this past January and have been diving regularly since with no issues. This is including dives requiring some decompression.

Just an observation but I am rather stunned/amazed/disappointed at how many of you simply reject out-of-hand the notion of getting medically-approved/cleared after what can not only be a serious illness, but also one that specifically is known to attack the lungs and which is also known to have possible long-term effects that may not be readily evident.

One thing that comes to mind is (and this really happened on one of our local trips) a diver explaining to me why he didn't need to use a computer or tables because he knew his body and he could "feel" the nitrogen inside.

Just an observation but I am rather stunned/amazed/disappointed at how many of you simply reject out-of-hand the notion of getting medically-approved/cleared after what can not only be a serious illness, but also one that specifically is known to attack the lungs and which is also known to have possible long-term effects that may not be readily evident.

One thing that comes to mind is (and this really happened on one of our local trips) a diver explaining to me why he didn't need to use a computer or tables because he knew his body and he could "feel" the nitrogen inside.
Well, likely because for 99% of people that get covid, their symptoms are a day or 3 of feeling crappy, then completely fine.... Like we've done with the common cold, the flu, yearly stomach bugs, etc for our whole lives, we go on with our lives as normal after. And we've survived this far.

There's always the tiny percentage of people that get any of those illnesses, that suffer long term repercussions, but for most people, it's just another cold.

I contracted Covid in July and had a sore throat for a few days only. I was going on a live aboard trip within 3 weeks which required me to complete the DAN (WRSTC, RSTC, UHMS) medical form. The version of the form they wanted completed included the question about having been diagnosed with Covid. Answering YES required one to obtain a medical evaluation to be approved and shown on boarding to be allowed to dive. I did get the medical check, was approved to dive and subsequently went on the trip. Dived 31 times over 10 days and had no issues.
I do feel that the bout of Covid affected my overall fitness a little though. Noticable when cycling. After another month of getting back to training on the bicycle I'm nearly back to the VO2 Max I was pre-covid.

Out of curiosity, what is it to you?
While I am fine with your feelings that YOU should do a check-up, I really can't see a reason rest of us have to follow that
As an instructor, it's built into our DNA to try to make sure people have as much info as possible to make informed choices. You're free to accept or reject the info and do as you please. You could choose to dive without a pressure gauge if you want because you think you know your air consumption and won't run out of air. I just don't think it's a wise choice. But just because I think you're doing something foolish doesn't mean you can't reject my advice as equally foolish from your perspective.

And along those same lines, an interesting article from today's L.A. Times showing, that at least around here, COVID has a higher death rate (9X) than car crashes and a higher death rate (5X) than flu & pneumonia. Also bear in mind that here in L.A. and many metropolitan areas, COVID was much more prevalent and problematic than in less metropolitan areas. So when you wonder "Why do you care," some of the explanation is that I likely have a very different perspective on this - having not only gotten it myself but having had a couple of close friends die from COVID - than you do.

Here's the link to the article: Even in 2022, L.A. COVID death rate is worse than car crashes. Here's why

You could choose to dive without a pressure gauge if you want because you think you know your air consumption and won't run out of air. I just don't think it's a wise choice. But just because I think you're doing something foolish doesn't mean you can't reject my advice as equally foolish from your perspective.
I dive a J valve on 50 year old aluminum tanks with a single 2nd stage on a plastic backplate. Breathe hard = pull the handle and ascend. No SPG needed

[Mod edited]

And along those same lines, an interesting article from today's L.A. Times showing, that at least around here, COVID has a higher death rate (9X) than car crashes and a higher death rate (5X) than flu & pneumonia. Also bear in mind that here in L.A. and many metropolitan areas, COVID was much more prevalent and problematic than in less metropolitan areas. So when you wonder "Why do you care," some of the explanation is that I likely have a very different perspective on this - having not only gotten it myself but having had a couple of close friends die from COVID - than you do.

Here's the link to the article: Even in 2022, L.A. COVID death rate is worse than car crashes. Here's why
Remember people's responses to COVID are political as much as physiological. People have died of COVID while insisting it's not possible. Pretty obviously people's reactions to getting medically cleared will be the same. It doesn't really matter what you post, people are not going to respond with common sense or a true clear examination of the facts, they are going to believe what they want to believe

Remember people's responses to COVID are political as much as physiological. People have died of COVID while insisting it's not possible. Pretty obviously people's reactions to getting medically cleared will be the same. It doesn't really matter what you post, people are not going to respond with common sense or a true clear examination of the facts, they are going to believe what they want to believe

And it isn't just in the US, it is the same in other parts of the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom