Who is the Apple of the scuba world?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There is not an Apple, thank god! If there were you'd only be able to fill your Apple tank using an Apple compressor. You'd only be able to attach an Apple regulator to your Apple tank. No breathing media except Apple mix would be able to flow through your Apple regulator and your Apple BC would not connect to anything else and would not even inflate if you attempted to stuff air into into. But best of all when your gear did screw up, they'd be no alternate methodology, no work-around, even if you were 130 feet down, it would simply stop functioning until it was completely disassembled and reassembled.

My source is a Scubapro Platinum dealer, and he is also a Halcyon dealer. The star of Halcyon's new reg line is the Scubapro G250V with a blue H on it. :wink: And, they ARE owned by the same parent company...although, I couldn't tell you exactly how long ago that transpired.

You're quite wrong on who you think owns Halcyon.

Halcyon does have an agreement with SP in regards to certain regs, but they aren't owned by the same company.

As a lifetime computer systems guy (industrial controllers, embedded systems, back-end integrations, and now medical imaging and data systems), I'm loving all the Apple hate.

Everything they're pointing out is true about Apple products: they're great from the singular consumer's perspective, no doubt about that. And I tip my hat to their hardware engineers - they certainly know what they're doing, and push the envelope. And their software interface guys - top notch.

But when it comes to complying with industry standards and working with everyone else's stuff, not so much. Apple isn't even taken seriously in the corporate systems world, except in niche systems and as an occasional client. They exert way too much control over their systems - which is great for the consumer IF you stay in Apple's little "walled garden" and buy all Apple products (which is what they want you to do).

In the scuba world this would be a very bad choice, unless like Thal says you want to stick to Apple-everything.

So, I wouldn't want to curse a scuba manufacturer by saying they're just like Apple. Except for a few notable exceptions like releasable BC weight pockets, altair-inflator connectors, and canister light connections (among a few others), most scuba gear tends to play well with one another. Just because you have one company's first-stage reg doesn't mean you need that same company's second-stage, for example.

This is a good thing, IMHO, as it lets us consumers choose best-of-breed gear, or gear customized by our particular intended use, and not be locked into one manufacturer and what their Cupertino engineers imagine us needing.

So, while I do admire certain aspects of Apple, I avoid purchasing their products, certainly when I'm shopping for systems for my company, but also as a consumer. I would also avoid any "Apple of the scuba world" if there were one - which, luckily, there isn't.

Why can't there be a Linux of the scuba world? I want free gear that generally works, but needs a lot of tinkering to get right.

Not free, but Tommydsports might fit that bill...their wetsuits are great for the price!

My source is a Scubapro Platinum dealer, and he is also a Halcyon dealer.

He is also ill informed, to put it politely.

I think Cinemanic might have had the idea more of a SONY than an Apple. In other words, if you don't mind paying a little more and don't want to take the time to shop and sort out "best of breed" solutions for every piece of gear, is there a specific "name brand" wherein one can find consistent quality?

In electronics, that used to be Sony for me. I knew if got "consumer lazy" and just bought a Sony, I wasn't always getting the best "deal", but I was getting something of quality that was consistently excellent in performance, if not always the category leader.

A prior poster made mention of the "status" thing. It has been my experience that divers in general are a enthusiast group that seems to care the least about "labels" and gear-maven status baubles.

For me, the single most important piece of my gear is my primary regulator. If that doesn't work well, nothing else really matters. :p

I think Atomic is as close to a "Sony" as there is in dive gear, at least for regulators. And I own the bottom of their line...the Z2. Am I going to feel intimidated by a guy diving next to me sucking on a T2X? Hardly. The whole "my toy is better than yours" just doesn't play here.

After that...it boils down to personal choice, doesn't it? Regardless of the label, its what feels right to you when you dive. You do it enough, and you gain preferences for gear that might not equate to a particular branding. I have yet to see any diver show up anywhere with each piece of gear from the same company.

I have an old Oceanic snorkel, a mask from...I forget who...(but has the magnifying lenses in the bottom so I can read the computer)...and the much maligned USD Rocket-Fins.

Oh, and I agree that the Atomic Cobalt is the most beautiful DC I have ever seen...but at 3X the cost of my Zoop console, I hesitate to start lusting after it.

Regards, DV

I.e makes amazing products, easy to use, solid, reliable, they really think through how the user will interact with the product, stands by their products and continually innovates?

.... that's certainly one way to describe them...

Thanks for all the feedback.

I almost put a p.s. that said don't go off on a debate about Apple vs others, just replace Apple with your favorite company. I think most of you got my point about what I was looking for.

Sounds like Atomic and Halcyon are a good place to start at least when comparing particular critical gear pieces like regs and buoyancy control. i.e. most of you are saying they set a standard that others try to imitate or beat.

Price to me factors in, but with life support stuff like scuba gear I don't feel comfortable making price a high priority. If I need surgery I don't go looking for free or low-priced doctors either :)

I'm afraid I've done something I often complain about on the internet...quoting others without their permission or knowledge. I could have misquited him on the relationship between the companies, and it was not my place to do so anyways. My apologies to all.

There was Tekna. The mask, knife and regulators were innovative and premium. Today's enthusiasts track down and trade around spare parts. Tekna gear was even given a special review in "Soldier of Fortune" magazine. It's the closest thing diving had to your apple ideal.

I believe they folded in 1991.

http://file.vintageadbrowser.com/61nbst7ytun6vr.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom