Who's going to DEMA 2015 in Orlando? Why are you going? What do you want to see?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm seriously thinking about going
1. I live in Orlando;
2. Have heard about it but never been before;
3. I'm recovering from a total hip replacement surgery, so hobbling around a trade show is as close as I will be able to get in November to 'immersion';
4. I'm not an active professional in the SCUBA industry in any sense of the word, but it appears my ancient and inactive instructor credentials will probably be enough to get past that requirement; I know it's not a 'consumer' show; but I am interested in advances in gear and more-and-more interested in travel destinations and deals.
5. Final decision depends on an orthopedic surgeon appointment two days before in which I may or may not be 'allowed' to drive again.

I'll be flying in from Singapore to attend my first DEMA show. It's never been held at a good time for me to travel but I'll be representing White Manta at a booth, hoping to talk to people about Indonesia and Thailand as well as our newest and nicest ship, the Blue Manta. I have mixed feelings about going though as I am giving up being on the maiden voyage!

OK, I just got off the phone with two industry insiders who are concerned about possible low attendance at DEMA this year. One even suggested that it might be at %30 of previous years! THIRTY PERCENT!

There's no doubt that low attendance works in my favor. It makes the interwebs look more seductive, er productive and I get a better chance to talk to some of the movers and shakers. Obviously, I'm going. I'm looking to talk to lots of people there and look at lots of new gear. I'm looking forward to seeing old friends, meeting new ones and having a lot of fun.

Our shop will have three people there - i look forward to being more successful at connecting in person compared to the last couple of shows :)

---------- Post added October 25th, 2015 at 07:48 PM ----------

In a general summation Pete, (and this speaks to other industries' trade shows, as well, that I attend) the overall general "Guerilla Marketing for the New Millennium" seminars, and those that are titled similarly, have just been beaten to death. I'm more inclined to attend something "technical, proprietary or speaks to the economic status or sluggish/slowly growing GDP". I would much rather sit in on a renowned economists lecture (1 hour please) to assemble my own business plan (and I want to clarify that I am NOT a dive shop owner, but am a DM), than "Getting to know your Customer Through Social Media". I'm using these classes loosely and generically. I'm not saying that there isn't a place or purpose for these classes, and there may well be an economic class at this DEMA, I haven't looked, but I'm just speaking as to my thoughts/mentality. The broader stroke falls into/under the bigger corporate world of over-used jargon of "Partnering, Strategic Alliance, Improved Customer Service/Dealer Portal". I say all this probably because I'm sitting on hold with AT&T who just purchased DirecTv, and is/was supposed to make my life"better" by doing so. I've been on hold this whole time trying to find out my old balance, new balance, where's my bill, did my payment post, etc. Now I'm ranting ! But in summation, those are my general thoughts. Again, not poo pooing any upcoming classes/lectures at DEMA, but just providing my thoughts/opinion.

agreed 100% - most of these seminars are amateurish at best, content-free at worst. What's worth to me are the technical workshops and viewing\touching new gear, making new & maintaining existing industry relationships

OK gang... my bags are packed and I'm on my way... with a short stop in Cave Country to rinse off this salt! :D I'll be in Orlando to deal with our server migration on Monday, and then Tuesday is filled with meetings and videos already. I'm kinda psyched!

Safe travels and I'll stop by and see you guys at the booth when I'm there.

I'm going. The opportunity to meet more industry insiders. Get ideas for travel. New toys, I'm mean new gear. Try to get a pic of the elusive NetDoc that I some how missed last year.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom