Why are experienced divers getting killed and injured lately?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

opalobsidian:
Catherine, that was really what I thought as I took the AGE thing at face value! I hadn't read the preceeding posts about AGE being some hideous embolsim thingamajig!

By the way, do you remember the name of the Gilda Radner character in the picture who would go off on the rant...

"What's all this I keep hearing about..."

And then end up corrected and saying "never mind"?

LOL!

I find these reports scary actually, because I feel, if it can happen to them, it can happen to me as well.
Your absolutly right it CAN happen to you (to any of us!) :(

That is why we must continuously train as if it’s game day! - We should not become lax in our skills nor reckless with our experience - every dive is and should be planned precisely and dove with your limits!

Of cource these 2 day PADI OW class dont help either :(

Dive Safe!
Pixie

pilot fish:
You're really going after it, huh? My dive plans are not that ambitious. Good luck with that.

Helium.

It's not just for breakfast anymore.

pilot fish:
It's more that I feel, if these careful divers can persih, then it must be more possible for me to get into trouble.

That's the attitude you need to work on. From your statements similar to this one I believe you're an emotional person and you must control that. To say that once or twice I can understand, but you have said similar things many times and to me that says you've got a hidden fear you need to master.

That hidden fear can come to the front at a time that's bad and will cause problems, that's why I'm suggesting you figure out what's going on. Fear has no place in our sport, but a healthy understanding of our sport is good because that teaches proper procedures. But to question your abilities based on others who have more skills is just flat out wrong. You are not them, you may or may not have made the same choices at the same times. You can not compare your skills on an even board, don't even try because it will not work.

I look at AG Pilots and say those people are crazy flying like that, I'd never be able to do that type of flying and I know that the reason is I do not have the training. I know that if I flew that plane in that manner that I might make one or two passes and crash, but I do not think when I hear of one of them dying that because they're better than me that I too risk death flying. Why, I'm not doing the flying they are and if I was I'd have the training to do it safely.

You should not be thinking that because those better than you pass away that you risk it more so, they're diving dives that you would never in your right mind attempt because you do not have the training to do them, and you know it. Therefore from a risk assessment point of view you're not able to compare things. You're talking apples and oranges and just don't believe it deep down. You believe you're talking apples only and you're not.

Does any of my ranting here make sense? It's a hard subject to speak well on for me, probably others.

The largest problem is that I don't believe that there's a much larger number divers with experience dying, but rather with the Internet we hear of it now and before we didn't. Plus, with more divers around now we have more people taking advanced training and doing more risky dives and therefore there will be some increase in accidents.

Proper training will go a long ways, and as long as you stick to your skill level and not push it you're fine. We all risk death every day, but we don't all dwell on it.

Cave Diver:
I'm tempted to ask for your source of a 99% fatality rate, since the consequences of AGE depend on where the blockage occurs, but I don't think this is the proper thread for the discussion of that.

hahahaha!

i knew you would ask that

it's just a swag

:eyebrow:

(and, by the way, misses the point of my statement, which was that if pulmonary
baurotrama is going to kill you, it's a very high chance it will be through AGE)

stardiver:
I will choose trimix for anything below 100 ft. You'll love the way you remember your dives, and totally appreciate the clear head you have during the dive.

Yes, but I think I'm going to wait a year and get more experience with doubles. I just finished Deco Procedures and I can't decide whether to continue with TDI Extended Range or do the IANTD class.

cummings66:

Plus, with more divers around now we have more people taking advanced training and doing more risky dives and therefore there will be some increase in accidents.

Deja Vu---That's what I said clear back on page 8. I'm not an actuary, but the answer to the original question is simple.

H2Andy:
hahahaha!

i knew you would ask that

it's just a swag

:eyebrow:.

Unfortunately, a lot of people use this board as a resource to fill in the gaps in their training. Although I don't agree with this methodology, I accept it as something that happens.

I personally feel that the more experienced people on the board have a responsibility to make sure that the information they post is factual and accurate.

Some people feel that it's okay to have grey areas. I myself prefer clear distinctions, especially regarding things as serious as D.C.I.

Based on your above statement, it would appear that you sometimes post things merely to illicit a response. Considering the quantity of your posts I think it's a shame you're not more concerned with the quality.

H2Andy:
(and, by the way, misses the point of my statement, which was that if pulmonary
baurotrama is going to kill you, it's a very high chance it will be through AGE)

Speaking of missing points, obviously you missed the fact that I agreed with you that A.G.E. is a serious, potentially life threatening and probable result from lung overexpansion injuries caused by breath hold during ascent. I reposted them below for your perusal.

Cave Diver:
The distinction is that while the two incidents are often linked, they are not exclusive to each other. But yes, AGE is a likely outcome.

Cave Diver:
Well, since we're moving on so nicely I'll just point out that I didn't dispute your statement that AGE was a serious complication. I merely stated that your terminology was incorrect.

man, cave diver... just come out and say it:

you're splitting hairs

:wink:

and i think my statement not to hold your breath on ascent nicely covered the
safety issue ... which you then muddled up with all the terminology

i think posters also have a responsibility to keep their statements safe and not muddle up things throug meaningless nit-picking

since you gave me advice, i'll return it: try to read posts and understand
their meaning before having a knee-jerk desire to show off how much you
know about the subject.

H2Andy:
man, cave diver... just come out and say it:

you're splitting hairs

Yes, I'm splitting hairs because you didn't cut them up fine enough to begin with.

H2Andy:
and i think my statement not to hold your breath on ascent nicely covered the safety issue ...

Agreed. Multiple times.

H2Andy:
which you then muddled up with all the terminology

i think posters also have a responsibility to keep their statements safe and not muddle up things throug meaningless nit-picking

Ummm, excuse me, but I believe it was you that originally "muddled" things up by using incorrect terminology.

I merely pointed it out and made a correction.

I didn't realize you'd get your feelings all hurt and stuff over it. Geesh!

You might want to go ahead and sell that glass house you're living in...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom